PR: Matrix Games and Strategic Studies Group Announce Battlefront
Matrix Games and Strategic Studies Group Announce Battlefront
Staten Island , NY , July 5 th , 2006 – Matrix Games ( www.matrixgames.com ) and Strategic Studies Group ( www.ssg.com.au ) are very pleased to announce their partnership to release Battlefront, an all-new wargame system that simulates battalion-scale combat in the largest cauldron of war humanity has known: World War II.
Battlefront features the power of battalion-level combat in some of this period’s most bloody and intense conflicts: Saipan, Market Garden, Novorossisk, and Gazala. Players will have realistic control over their soldiers, with a tactical scale just large enough to make a telling difference in the strategic picture.
David Heath, Operations Manager of Matrix Games, said "We are truly pleased to work with a talented and established developer like SSG in bringing this product to the market. Our philosophies share much the same beliefs, in that wargames are meant to be fun, approachable, and challenging."
Gregor Whiley, Vice President of Strategic Studies, said “We are delighted to be working with Matrix Games again. This year will be the twentieth anniversary of the publication of the original Battlefront game. We believe that the new Battlefront system will set new standards for wargaming, just as the first Battlefront did.”
While the Battlefront system shares a design philosophy with SSG’s award-winning Decisive Battles series, it is actually an entirely new system specifically designed for battalion-level combat. This level of play gives the player a chance to experience true issues of command, control, sighting, and supply at a level that emphasizes plenty of tough but enjoyable decisions to make. The combat system provides new and varied ways to damage your opponent, with provisions for direct and indirect fire, air strikes, and special, historically-accurate combat modes (such as Japanese Banzai attacks).
Players will have full control over the off-map movement of their units; players can move units in special off-map areas, getting realistic control over where and when to employ their reinforcements. Opponents will never be entirely sure where and when these units will arrive, increasing the tension and fun.
Battlefront is due for release by August, 2006.
Features of the new Battlefront system include:
● Improved Strategic AI enables a more flexible response to fast
● Improved user interface simplifies unit information
● Command and control system that rewards correct employment of
● Close combat routines have special attack modes such as Banzai,
Surprise and Infiltration
● Indirect Fire from artillery and air assets can directly attack
● Direct fire from AFVs can attack enemy units at range
● Counter-battery fire can eliminate enemy artillery
● Eliminated units can be rebuilt as cadres and returned to battle
● Sighting, command, supply and danger zone rules encourage sensible
use of artillery
● Complete Unit, Map and AI editor allows users to create scenarios
● Improved Play By Email security