StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Alternate Timelines > Science Fiction

Notices and Announcements

Science Fiction Science Fiction as a means to discuss "future history."

Old 22 Jul 13, 22:18
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
Some of us don't. We don't have the technical mind he did. He was an engineer. I think it should be left as a tribute to Chris.
Old 09 Aug 13, 02:56
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Karakris ~ Chris Martins has passed on ~ over to the next level of existence for his "soul". While he was a great mind and member of this Forum/Board those whom knew him and interacted with him will understand that likely his greatest wish would be that we "carry on" in his departure.

His Legacy and Imprint will carry on upon this Forum/Board for years to come, we whom remain will best honor such by continuing the memes, ideas, and concepts he shared with us.

Looking forward to the Future
Leaping for the Stars ...
Old 09 Aug 13, 09:32
Brigadier General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I am quite saddened by his passing. He had a vast mind and was fully committed to this game. I don't think anyone of us could do what he has done, but I do think he would want it to carry on. If I did not tell him, I would like to tell all of you thanks for the many hours of enjoyment you have provided. Thanks also to all the good friends I have met on here. Hope you have a blessed day.
Old 10 Aug 13, 22:18
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
He was all you both have described. I am committed, but I have no engineering expertise whatsoever. Carpentry, but not engineering like Chris was so brilliant at.
Old 10 Aug 13, 23:07
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Ditto-but I don't have carpentry skills let alone engineering.

--Hávamál
Old 12 Aug 13, 00:08
General of the Forums
United_States

But we do the best we can.
Old 23 Dec 13, 10:02
General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Sad to say, I'd been avoiding this thread.

I remeber when I started the Sci-Fi wargame, way back after the end of high school, when I had plenty of free time and nothing to do with it. after a false start and some distraction from both the WW1 wargame and Koingerdammerung I struck gold. Pilfering the start from a computer game and putting the concept forward as a story I gathered a group of people and made a game that people still remember from time to time. However I messed up, I guess it was the negative influence of both a year of boredom, an antagonistic friend and a desire to spice things up, I engineered a player conflict and, as a result, completely scuttled my own game.

I thought it over, I thought it irrecoverable. the Sci Fi wargame, my greatest success, my simplest named wonder, fell apart through my own actions. No one wanted a part in it, Tac wanted to revert the game to an earlier state, Oglivy wanted to go on with his own story and most wanted out.

All but one.

Karakris, who at this point was, I believe, Vice Admiral in the Pacific, Admiral of the Attican Fleet and writer of an alternate history set in a future abounding in battleship catamarans took over. If I am to liken this game to a child, after abandoning this child to give it escape from my terrible custodianship, Kris took over and made it something more. The number of people he involved, the things he thought up, the designs he made and the science he postulated were far beyond anything i attempted. i fondly remember nights devoted to thinking around the problems of landing on a hostile planet or establishing industry on a moon in the New Byzantium system. and all throughout Kris included me and asked for my help. No matter how long my breaks were, not matter how terse my responses, his elation at my every idea and suggestion always warmed me.

I guess, I found confronting that acceptance awkward. I couldn't fathom his exuberance, i never really got back into this game after giving Reb the New Byzantium system, even though we eventually worked out another role for me to play I never got into the right mental state to get back and play.

At the end of the day, when all's said and told, a great deal of emotional investment goes into some of these games. some you can just pick up and leave with little effort, some, like the WW1 Game and this one, are utterly consuming, they become as much part of your life as a friend. This game was my child, and I failed to bring it up correctly. where I thought it unfixable Kris saw something beautiful and I think he was only beginning to make that vision reality, for that I will ever be thankful.

So long Kris, I know wherever you are going Atticans, Britons and New Byzantines alike await to greet you.
Old 21 Jan 14, 11:52
First Lieutenant
United_States

Nikkie is on the path to success [1-99] Nikkie is on the path to success [1-99]
RIP Chris,
I'll Miss you!!

Hey guys,
Sorry if I haven't been on here in a while, After Losing Chris, I cry for a week!!!
Nikki
Old 21 Jan 14, 11:56
General of the Forums
Belgium
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
He's sorely missed but not forgotten - thanks for dropping by,

All the best in the new year

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!