StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > General Gaming Discussion > Game Press Releases

Notices and Announcements

Game Press Releases All the latest on your favorite games. You can also read them on our front page here.

Old 22 Oct 10, 10:41
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
BBC BA does the Blitzkrieg years!!

http://www.slitherine.com/news/item334

Alriiiiiight, a new major add on for the game in November.

It will be on sale for 10 pounds (whatever the heck that is in North American terms).

You need to have the base game to use the expansion (like that's a shock hehe).

I can't wait.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 22 Oct 10, 15:04
Brigadier General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Your posts have on this game have raised my interest. I think the graphics are a bit silly but I'm willing to look past that.

What does this do that other games like Close Combat and CMSF don't?

Is there a demo? I must try a game for myself before I buy.
Old 22 Oct 10, 15:40
General of the Forums
Canada

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
There is no demo yet, it's in the works, but has not been given priority. Likely due to the fact so many are liking it, it is selling well just on positive appeal alone.

As for the visual appeal, hmm what can I say. People have played games looking a lot dumber.

It's rendered in subjective 3d. You can rotate the map view easily to see from all angles. And a great deal easier than most 3d games I might add. Battlefront could take some lessons on ease of controls.

The animations make the game fun, they don't do anything to not make it fun that's for sure.

The game has one of the most solid turn based turn processing servers I have heard of. Frankly the game's secure turn feature is likely why it is selling so well. Because you can play a game and get no worry of being cheated.

I have no beef with Close Combat, I voted there with my wallet too. Although real time is not normally my thing. In real time, often the units make choices that make no sense. Not that turns are perfect.

No, what is making this game popular, is it is people playing people, rather than the usual complaining about AI issues.
Old 22 Oct 10, 16:49
Brigadier General
Pirate

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
I hope the demo isn't far off as forum posts and reviews are not enough for me. I need to try a game first. I've been burned a couple times before so I'm making sure my money doesn't get wasted.

My main gripe with the graphics is that it looks like a cartoon. It doesn't appeal to me but I don't play games for graphics so I'm willing to look past it. I am used to playing games that require a lot of controls so that doesn't bother me. The only problem I have with CMSF is that the camera response is sluggish. Multi-player isn't a key concern for me as I don't really like having my game time controlled by other people. That doesn't mean I won't play MP just that I won't be playing it a lot.

I have a few specific questions:

How big are the maps?

How well is suppressive fire modelled? Can you deploy smoke?

Do you have access to mortars?

What's the unit you command? Platoon, company, battalion, brigade etc.

Is morale modelled? Can your squads break and retreat if given a pounding?

What about logistics? Can your units run out of supplies? How do reinforcements work?

Can units lose 'skill' as casualties are taken and soldiers replaced?

What's modding like? Can new units be added? New scenarios created? Can AI files be modified? Is the game flexible enough that it can be essentially turned into a different game by modders?

How does the campaign work? Is progress dictated by your actions or does the campaign progress historically?

Sorry, a lot of questions, but I have a lot of games and a couple eat up my time quite a bit so I need to be sure I'll enjoy it before I purchase it.
Old 22 Oct 10, 20:42
General of the Forums
Canada

Answering as best as possible.

This is a reference image.

I have indicated a few things in the image.

The town for instance. The specific image of the specific building is not specifically vital. It is mostly it is a building location of a given type. And yes, the terrain is destroyable, but to my knowledge, it has no game effect.

Note the wrecks on the map. They are removable if a good order unit wishes to expend movement to do so, the wreck is then removed from the map. Otherwise they persist.

Note the injured personnel. It's kept to a logical level, no gore. But when units take casualties, you get to see them.

I think the vehicle renderings are very good myself. But you won't be able to claim that they are the equal of box art from Dragon models. But they don't need to be that detailed. No they are not cartoony. And I don't think the overly pretty 3d graphics in games like Theater of War count for much considering Theatre of War is a game I wouldn't want if it was free.

The Aircraft is an animation. Generally you plot where you want a strike, the game handles the animation fly by though. Artillery fire looks like artillery fire.

The game is turn based, and as you can see, the selected unit will be given a radius of potential movement options. You get to mouse over the terrain and the options change as the mouse moves. Plus you get the option to move slower and more stealthy as well as more stable for firing and this too is graphically indicated.

To answer your questions directly within my abilities.

How big are the maps?

As wargames go, the maps are modest in size. I think that they are comparable to Close Combat or Combat Mission ie not so large. You won't spend a lot of energy scrolling.

How well is suppressive fire modelled? Can you deploy smoke?

Suppressive fire is modeled superbly. The map also warns you of 'suspect' locations with a ? symbol. The gamer has to decide on whether to hit the space or not though.
Smoke is not currently used. I have heard a lot of talk on this topic. Seems odd without it, but I have yet to suffer without it. Now in Steel Panthers, no smoke would be insane.

Do you have access to mortars?

Yes in fact your on map arty is likely your most prized asset. Well I think so.
You also have anti tank guns, mobile arty vehicles, rockets like the Sherman Calliope. But the big stuff is usually off map assets.

What's the unit you command? Platoon, company, battalion, brigade etc.

Individual vehicles and squads or weapons teams.

Is morale modelled? Can your squads break and retreat if given a pounding?

Yes you pound on a Tiger tank and even if it isn't killed you can rattle the crew and they can decide to bugger off if in real life that made sense.
Base morale is 100, every time someone is effectively trying to kill you, it reduces morale. Gain veteran status, and your morale ceiling rises. Lose enough morale and they will just leave the field.
Morale is regained through NOT being shot at and can take a little or a lot of time based on how much is needed to be regained.

What about logistics? Can your units run out of supplies? How do reinforcements work?

You can run out of supplies. For instance anti tank charges are finite for infantry units. The game does have reinforcements that can arrive in some battles. Arrival can also be conditional.

Can units lose 'skill' as casualties are taken and soldiers replaced?

Units gain status from successfully killing the opposition. It opens up new skills options. I have not witnessed loss of status from being refitted in battle through things like the medic function.

What's modding like? Can new units be added? New scenarios created? Can AI files be modified? Is the game flexible enough that it can be essentially turned into a different game by modders?

The game is wide open as far as modding is concerned. I have seen guys making brand new vehicles the first week the game was on sale. Can't be too hard (beyond me though ). I have even seen people doing Pacific theatre stuff. I am not aware of the game having any real limits actually.

How does the campaign work? Is progress dictated by your actions or does the campaign progress historically?

The campaigns are scripted (I think that's the right way to say it). Because of this, the game gets harder and harder as you progress through a campaign. As it is scripted, the AI tends to not act randomly. That doesn't mean it is easy to predict. It just means it won't make totally pointless actions.
Plenty of players have reported that some of the later battles can be damned hard. If you want a challenge, the game can deliver it.
Like chess, if you play poorly, you can expect to lose.

And just when you think you know the game, then you play a multi player map, and some human hands you your butt on a platter

Last edited by LRB; 22 Oct 10 at 20:48..
Old 23 Oct 10, 09:01
Brigadier General
Pirate

Thanks for answering my questions. Sounds like a buy overall!
Old 06 Apr 13, 17:20
Private
Spain

Mrs Manfred is on the path to success [1-99]
looking great!!!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!