StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 15 Mar 13, 13:27
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfleader View Post

On a side note, anyone here remember playing 4 player death match in GoldenEye for the N64. The one where everyone said they'd follow an honor code and never look at the other people's screen but totally did so anyways.
Yes, played it in the store for like 8-10hrs one day (and I came in 2nd or 3rd place in a golden eye tournement a couple years ago. Lost to a guy who arrived in a tuxedo with some hot chick and martini. Yes, really.)
Old 15 Mar 13, 13:32
General
United_States

Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300]
we had a number of comedic sayings that were derived from Goldeneye.

Top of the list is, "I'm not following you. You're running into a minefield." (Explosion)

Number two, rockets in the bunker. A had B trapped in a room. A had rockets, be had a destoval or nothing, or something like that...anyways, A starts toying with his prey peeking out from behind the corner to launch a rocket and force A to take cover to avoid the blast, but after a couple minutes of this the door started closing on A and the rocket explodes in his face. He screams out: "The door! The Door!"
There were others, but they have been permanently lost to time.
Old 15 Mar 13, 14:02
Captain
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Wolfleader is on the path to success [1-99] Wolfleader is on the path to success [1-99] Wolfleader is on the path to success [1-99] Wolfleader is on the path to success [1-99] Wolfleader is on the path to success [1-99] Wolfleader is on the path to success [1-99]
Aaah mines in Goldeneye. When you end up being insanely paranoid of every step you take, every obstacle you walk by and every corner you turn.
Sings we a song of man.
Who smells gold and slays his brother
Old 17 Mar 13, 01:56
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300]
I remember playing a mod of Quake 2 that was Counterstrike-like but the adversary you were to kill were the backstreet boys, since boy bands were big back then and I hated them with a passion. It was great.
Old 17 Mar 13, 03:46
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfleader View Post
On a side note, anyone here remember playing 4 player death match in GoldenEye for the N64. The one where everyone said they'd follow an honor code and never look at the other people's screen but totally did so anyways.
Oh God yes. Or the fact that 4 people playing simultaneously actually made the game lag locally. Ohhh cartridges how I miss thee.
Old 17 Mar 13, 19:14
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 6 View Post
Oh God yes. Or the fact that 4 people playing simultaneously actually made the game lag locally. Ohhh cartridges how I miss thee.
I saw a video about overclocking a sega genises from like 8hz to 12hz, and that would finally get the frame-lag to end when playing Sonic and you lose all your coins and they start bouncing around sonic on the screen .
Old 19 Mar 13, 16:05
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
Wolfenstein 3D!!
Old 21 Mar 13, 11:21
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Medal of Honour; Frontline I think it was; on the PS2 - my first proper console which I could call me own.

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules
Old 23 Mar 13, 22:06
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selous View Post
Medal of Honour; Frontline I think it was; on the PS2 - my first proper console which I could call me own.

I loved that map in MP.
Old 28 Mar 13, 00:18
Brigadier General
Australia

Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200]
Call of Duty (the very original), thanks to a mate of mine. I'm ashamed to say I needed cheats just to get through the easy mode, because I was just a green FNG. Now I can beat the easy level in about five hours (except I have a life...I wish).
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk
Sponsored Links

Old 28 Mar 13, 02:47
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Call of Duty 1 and 2 for PC still rank very highly for me. I don't play either anymore, but CoD 1 PC had really fun multiplayer (at least the room I always played in was great), and CoD 2 had an awesome, original campaign.

I remember some funny stuff from the 1st one, like

"C'mon ladies, this ain't yer Aunt Cassie's dance!"

and when in training, crawling under barbed wire, a sign reads: "RIP Cpl Bell, who didn't keep his head down."

and

"We're gonna have to drive this French tin can back to our lines?! Wanna paint a bulls eye on it?"

--Hávamál
Old 28 Mar 13, 05:49
Brigadier General
Australia

Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Call of Duty 1 and 2 for PC still rank very highly for me. I don't play either anymore, but CoD 1 PC had really fun multiplayer (at least the room I always played in was great), and CoD 2 had an awesome, original campaign.

I remember some funny stuff from the 1st one, like

"C'mon ladies, this ain't yer Aunt Cassie's dance!"

and when in training, crawling under barbed wire, a sign reads: "RIP Cpl Bell, who didn't keep his head down."

and

"We're gonna have to drive this French tin can back to our lines?! Wanna paint a bulls eye on it?"
Yeah, that was quite a funny game/mission. Bit silly but good. Especially Moody and Elder's bickering. I might have to break it out again. Not to mention United Offensive's The Guns of Navarone.

Another old game I played was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. That D-Day mission was tough, but sniper's alley was worse.
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk
Old 28 Mar 13, 11:27
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
I don't think I ever played Allied Assault. I played European Assault though, which was kind of a different game...but local MP was fun and pretty original. You could choose to be French, American, British, Russian, or German, and then you could choose between classes. Each nationality had their own weapons-the Germans used Kar98ks, MP40s, etc. The Russians used Nagants, and so forth. I thought this was pretty cool. A little more like Battlefield 1942 where each side has their own weapons (I find it funny in Bad Company 2 how I seem to always pick the American weapons when I'm Russian and vice versa!)

Perhaps the best parts were actually being able to order around your squad (in previous shooters, they don't do anything), and the soundtrack! "Dogs of War" by Christopher Lennertz is an awesome soundtrack. I remember it struck me when I first started the game. It was unlike any soundtrack I'd heard for a shooter; more like a Band of Brothers style which is beautiful.

--Hávamál
Old 03 Apr 13, 14:12
General
United_States

Quote:
Each nationality had their own weapons-the Germans used Kar98ks, MP40s, etc. The Russians used Nagants, and so forth. I thought this was pretty cool.
That's so racist (Aryanist). The Germans get rifles, SMGs, etc.
The Russians get a revolver, etc.
Old 04 Apr 13, 14:50
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
That's so racist (Aryanist). The Germans get rifles, SMGs, etc.
The Russians get a revolver, etc.

This *Mosin* Nagant

--Hávamál

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!