StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 29 Oct 10, 11:08
Banned
United_States

SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBomb View Post
Wolfenstien 3D followed by Blake Stone (which came out a week before a certain very famous FPS by ID Software that kinda pushed it into obscurity..fair call I played the hell outta it!)
Trivia: Blake Stone outsold Doom during their first week of release! However Doom quickly caught up later and eventually outside Blake Stone by the millions!
Old 05 Nov 10, 20:42
Sergeant
Canada

Shelldrake2 is on the path to success [1-99] Shelldrake2 is on the path to success [1-99]
Rise of the Triad (IIRC a really aweful game) but my first online experience was BF1942.
Old 06 Nov 10, 00:13
Lance Corporal
United_States

Ghostryder is on the path to success [1-99] Ghostryder is on the path to success [1-99]
My first was Ultima Underworld-- later Wolfenstein was getting a lot of buzz so I tried it and was impressed with the tech but not so much the gameplay--later Doom showed FPS can be fun and immersive...and of course then came the System Shock titles. Few have grabbed me since. A few notible exceptions were Stalker, and i kind of enjoyed FEAR and BioShock- but generally if you've playe one you've played all for the most part.

BTW the very first game I ever did and released as a finished playable game was a FPS- it wasn't that good but i learned a lot from that experience.
Old 06 Nov 10, 02:06
Staff Sergeant
Austria
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Syt is on the path to success [1-99] Syt is on the path to success [1-99] Syt is on the path to success [1-99]
If we're counting 3d shooters/action adventures, then it'd be Mercenary on C64; though without manual I had no idea what I was doing most of the time.
Old 08 Jan 11, 23:09
First Lieutenant
Canada
Model Forum Group Build 

Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm a youngin, so BF1942. Haven't seen it bested yet, though TF2 has been fun for ~500 hours
Old 09 Jan 11, 00:06
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400]
Doom II was my first...loved it!

-Matt

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!
Old 09 Jan 11, 19:01
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99]
Red Storm rising on my Commadore !!
Old 15 Jan 11, 13:13
Private
Canada

blazespinnaker is a balanced individual [0]
Wolfenstein Castle
Old 26 Mar 11, 21:59
Private
United_States

Drover is a balanced individual [0]
Halo CE (pc) was the first for me. i still play online time to time
Old 28 Mar 11, 23:20
Corporal
United_States

Epee1 is on the path to success [1-99]
Castle Wolfenstein
Sponsored Links

Old 29 Mar 11, 07:53
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
1999 PC version
Have you seen the latest version that comes on two DVDs? You need a high end system to play that version and 10+ meg of free hard drive space. Unbelievable realism. You have to be fast and accurate or the Aliens will quickly take your player out.

You can also play the Alien or Predator.

There is also an older version, newer then the 1999 one, that has more storyline, scary moments, and better graphics.

Playing the Alien is really disorienting as it can crawl along walls, the ceiling, and ductwork. That gives it a huge advantage over being restricted to the floor blocked by obstacles.
Old 29 Mar 11, 13:27
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Sami
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRV Ron View Post
Have you seen the latest version that comes on two DVDs? You need a high end system to play that version and 10+ meg of free hard drive space. Unbelievable realism. You have to be fast and accurate or the Aliens will quickly take your player out.

Yes I have, it is pretty good, but my computer isn´t up to it.

Max Sterner
Old 29 Mar 11, 14:00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99]
When I was little, EVERY daycare I went to would have an N64 and Goldeneye.
Old 31 Mar 11, 00:49
Colonel
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200]
I busted my FPS cherry on

Old 31 Mar 11, 22:16
First Lieutenant
Canada
Model Forum Group Build 

Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99]
Goldeneye 007 for the win!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!