StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 17 Oct 10, 09:50
Banned
United_States

SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] SegaSaturnGamer is on the fast track to disgrace [-500]
Your first FPS?

What was the first FPS you ever played? Mine was Quake on the Sega Saturn and Wolfenstein 3D on PC.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 17 Oct 10, 10:16
First Sergeant
South_Africa

Wilpanzer is on the path to success [1-99] Wilpanzer is on the path to success [1-99] Wilpanzer is on the path to success [1-99]
Outlaws I believe was one of the first FPS games I played, I liked the soundtrack.
Old 17 Oct 10, 12:04
Second Lieutenant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99] SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99] SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99] SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99] SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99]
The original Castle Wolfenstein with the cartoon Nazis.
Old 17 Oct 10, 14:49
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Doom I on my old 486.

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!
Old 18 Oct 10, 06:57
General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
a strange left field game called Battlefront or something, a most strange game from 1999, before that it was all stratergy.

EDIT: BATTLEZONE! that was the game! god how i loved it!
Old 18 Oct 10, 07:56
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashy View Post
a strange left field game called Battlefront or something, a most strange game from 1999, before that it was all stratergy.

EDIT: BATTLEZONE! that was the game! god how i loved it!

Battlezone was an excellent game, but it wasn't a FPS. And it wasn't from left field. It was a great remake of the old Atari vector graphics space tank game from the 80's.

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!
Old 18 Oct 10, 22:50
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Goldeneye for the N64. Man, I remember wondering how the graphics could possibly get any better.
Old 21 Oct 10, 09:35
Lance Corporal
United_States

Phobos is on the path to success [1-99]
The original Doom and Wolfenstein would my first FPS games. I believe Knights of the Sky was the first game ever, though I can't quite recall...
Old 21 Oct 10, 22:16
Sergeant Major
UK
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
First played, Doom/Wolf 3D - Can't remember which, was still young and had no PC of my own at the time.

First owned, Delta Force - Ahh good times..
Pity there's been no sign of DF: Angel Falls since the announcement in '08...
Old 21 Oct 10, 22:45
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

No_Nickname is simply cracking [600]
No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600] No_Nickname is simply cracking [600]
Battlefield 1942 was the first FPS that I bought for PC, no CURRENT series of games (COD, MOH, etc) today beats the battlefield series IMO
"You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Oct 10, 22:48
First Lieutenant
EU

Tealo is on the path to success [1-99] Tealo is on the path to success [1-99] Tealo is on the path to success [1-99] Tealo is on the path to success [1-99] Tealo is on the path to success [1-99] Tealo is on the path to success [1-99] Tealo is on the path to success [1-99]
Veitcong on the PC best first person shooter on the vietnam war!
Old 22 Oct 10, 19:17
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300]
Doom or Wolfenstein, both around the same time so I'm not sure which was first.
“To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”
Old 22 Oct 10, 20:45
Major
United_States

Gidia is on the path to success [1-99] Gidia is on the path to success [1-99] Gidia is on the path to success [1-99] Gidia is on the path to success [1-99] Gidia is on the path to success [1-99] Gidia is on the path to success [1-99]
Halo: Combat Evolved
Old 22 Oct 10, 23:25
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Arctic Fox on the Amiga 1000. One of the first two games made for that machine. It used full color basic shape vector filled graphics.

This was a tank game with a 3-D view screen of the terrain that you had free roam of the entire area. Of course, you had to watch out for enemy installations, aircraft, crevasses. You could climb the hills to see further out or use mountains and the hills to hide from the enemy. You also had the ability to fire missiles and guide them to a target using the view screen.

Alien Breed 3-D was the first true 3-D game that ran on a small window on a 68020 processor of the CD-32 or an Amiga 1200 or 4000. It had some neat realistic looking enemies sich as Hell Hounds and floating Beholders. There were stairs to climb, water to dive under, and several stories of structures that you could jump off to the lower platforms. As there was no save, you wrote down unlock codes in order to proceed to the next level. There was no cheat mode available. Ammo, health packs, and various weapons were found in various places. One level unlocked a boss monster that was an armored tank that couldn't be killed by your weapons. You had to retreat to an upper balcony and get it to shoot towards you. Since it couldn't elevate its gun to get you, it eventually was killed by the splash damage of its shells hitting the walls below. The game came out about the same time as Doom became available on the PC.

Duke Nukem was popular for the Windows 95 computer. The game came out with several add ons including one where you had to rescue President Clinton from the aliens. The motions were a bit disorientating and could cause motion sickness if set too high. The game was unstable in several spots under Windows 98 and would not run on later versions.

My favorite is Unreal which really set a standard. That game is fully compatable on Windows 7 and will run full screen on 1680 x 1050 displays. You can trick the enemy characters to fight each other, then pick off the survivors. There is a free mod called Return to Na Pali that is as well done as the original game. It patches into an upgraded Unreal Tournament and features user controllable AI friendlies. (Some graphic cards can cause problems unless you run the game in a window or in 16 bit color mode.) Either game does not need the CD to run.

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”
Old 23 Oct 10, 00:33
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Nickname View Post
Battlefield 1942 was the first FPS that I bought for PC, no CURRENT series of games (COD, MOH, etc) today beats the battlefield series IMO
Damn straight, I still have my copies of BF 1942, and BF Vietnam. They are still my favorite shooters of all time.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!