StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 10 Sep 10, 08:48
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Sami
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I am online

Max Sterner
Old 10 Sep 10, 12:00
Brigadier General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Did y'all work it out eventually? Pity I missed it. Next time hopefully.
Old 10 Sep 10, 13:38
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
We sure did, it was Erkki, Nok and myself.

It took awhile to get set up, but at least we had comms this time, we actually massed up a bit, I was waiting on MSN, they waited on TS, we ended up meeting 3 hours later thanks to a fluke PM Nok sent me...we had about an hour and a half of net. game time.

Note: next time, we should pre-decide on a "place" to meet up on.

Hopefully Alex would show up with a picture debrief but in short I have 2 comments:

1. I seriously blew it on the taking the car mission...I mean seriously...

2. Next time- we'll be taking the Delta Force mission full force head on.
I thought of a plan for it and even if it fails, we're not quiting until we get it done.

P.S all 3 of us were miraculously saved from an RPG round, I mean, I saw the tip of the warhead about to hit my face...
Old 11 Sep 10, 01:32
Sergeant Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Well apart from the confusion of where to meet up, it went pretty well. We didn't finish any missions, but considering the number of enemy units we faced, and from all directions, i think we were lucky to make it as far as we did.

As for where to meet up next, TS stayed pretty quiet while i was waiting (no randoms joining) so it seems like a decent place to meet up. We can use the chat there too, it's easier to type instructions on how to get into the game or onto Hamachi etc..
But MSN works fine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani
1. I seriously blew it on the taking the car mission...I mean seriously...

2. Next time- we'll be taking the Delta Force mission full force head on.
I thought of a plan for it and even if it fails, we're not quiting until we get it done.
1. You blew it? I'm the one who would of killed half a dozen civilians due to not having binocs.

2. Keep in mind mate, this mission is an 8-player 2 team co-op..I think this is why we felt so out numbered.
Maybe if we get 4+ people playing next time we can have two teams, and i guess bring along the extra AI as cannon fodder. If we can advance from two directions they might have a hard time surrounding us like they kept doing.
But yeah we've gotta finish this one, managed to get 1/3 pieces of intel in our second attempt so we were getting better.

Quote:
P.S all 3 of us were miraculously saved from an RPG round, I mean, I saw the tip of the warhead about to hit my face...
That bloody RPG came outa nowhere, i didn't see it but i heard it (and everyone swearing). They've done well with this AI, it seems more capable of conducting ambushes than the Russians/Insurgents from original A2.

Anyway, on to the pics.
The objective is to raid an enemy compound and recover a few items: documents, a laptop and a sat. phone.
It's about 500m to the compound itself, and the path is littered with enemy patrols.

Here's our first attempt.

I forgot to start taking pics from the beginning so to re-cap - We decided to take the main road coming from the north and by the time i took this first picture we had already come under fire from the first town about 50m from the starting location, i took a bullet early on but was healed and joined back up with Erkki and Golani as they head down the road towards the compound.

At this point we've just reached some decent cover and Golani is moving forward while Erkki and I keep an eye open for enemy movement.

Just as he reaches cover 4 emerge from a back alleyway and are eliminated before we move up to join Golani.

Suddenly, taking us all completely by surprise...The sun comes up, but we think it's a flare and all panic and look up to find where it came from..
It was amusing until the bullets started coming our way again..

Erkki takes a bullet, luckily he's behind some decent cover so there's time to deal with all the enemy units surrounding us.

Golani rushes off to heal Erkki...but runs a bit too far and ends up running to the AI unit (who for some reason didn't want to play and remained at the starting position..).
As i'm providing covering fire one of them tries to sneak up, luckily they've got really poor aim with the AK on full.

With Golani now making his way back to our position i move back and heal Erkki.

They just won't stop coming, but at least now there are twice as many rounds heading their way with Erkki back in action.

Golani has almost re-grouped, and another couple pop out from behind a building.

Finally all together again, we make our way into the town.

Golani made it across and began taking fire, i'm halfway, with Erkki to my right, just as i get to the other side Golani has dropped a couple but more are coming.

After the little encounter with the RPG earlier..Guess which one of these two i aimed at first..

We're now dropping like flies, shortly after this pic i was hit too - With the only remaining squad member being the scared AI unit who stayed back in the first town, we restart...

Gotta head out for a while now, but i've got the next lot of pics sorted so i'll get the rest uploaded tonight with another mini-AAR.
The pics from the Steal the car mission weren't that good, probably because i was so far away and without a scope can't make out much of the action...But i'll try find a couple of decent ones.

Great game(s) though fellas - Hopefully Mackie and some others can make it next time and we'll get a bit further.

Last edited by Nokturnal; 11 Sep 10 at 01:34..
Old 11 Sep 10, 02:35
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
As for where to meet up next, TS stayed pretty quiet while i was waiting (no randoms joining) so it seems like a decent place to meet up. We can use the chat there too, it's easier to type instructions on how to get into the game or onto Hamachi etc..
But MSN works fine too.
TS it is.
Quote:
1. You blew it? I'm the one who would of killed half a dozen civilians due to not having binocs.
Well, I was the one who planned an SF raid like it's a full blown assault..

Told you I'm no good at this stealth s
Quote:
2. Keep in mind mate, this mission is an 8-player 2 team co-op..I think this is why we felt so out numbered.
Maybe if we get 4+ people playing next time we can have two teams, and i guess bring along the extra AI as cannon fodder. If we can advance from two directions they might have a hard time surrounding us like they kept doing.
But yeah we've gotta finish this one, managed to get 1/3 pieces of intel in our second attempt so we were getting better.
8 player co-op nothing, we almost took them this time with only 3 of us...I'm telling you I have a plan (plus, now that we know we can choose weapons It'll be easier), that's our mission for next time.

Quote:
That bloody RPG came outa nowhere, i didn't see it but i heard it (and everyone swearing). They've done well with this AI, it seems more capable of conducting ambushes than the Russians/Insurgents from original A2.
That RPG gave me a good shave...came from right behind us from the house on the hill.

Quote:
Gotta head out for a while now, but i've got the next lot of pics sorted so i'll get the rest uploaded tonight with another mini-AAR.
There should be some good ones, with the enemy FT that tried to flank us, and well, the red smoke grenade

Quote:
Great game(s) though fellas - Hopefully Mackie and some others can make it next time and we'll get a bit further.
Definitely.
Sponsored Links

Old 11 Sep 10, 06:15
Sami
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
A great game it was, but next time I must remember to remove the bullseye from my uniform

Max Sterner
Old 11 Sep 10, 06:19
General of the Forums
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
A great game it was, but next time I must remember to remove the bullseye from my uniform
Dude, you got riddled with bullets there
Old 11 Sep 10, 06:35
Sami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
Dude, you got riddled with bullets there
Better me then you, right?

Max Sterner
Old 11 Sep 10, 06:44
General of the Forums
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
Better me then you, right?
When I sprinted back to take care of you (and ended up taking care of the AI player way way back at the start point) I took some shots myself...

But then again at the "take the car" mission I acted as a human shield....

You'll be with us for the next mission, right?

While we're at it, how was the sound for you guys?
I heard Erkki quite well, but Nokturnal sounded kinda muffed out...

I also have another problem that maybe one of you can help solve- I hear the comms. over the main speakers (it's a TS option) but the game sounds are over my ear piece (I'm using a Bluetooth one) and that sucks...
Old 11 Sep 10, 06:59
Sami

If time allows yes, I was surprised how good good it went with the normaly lossy connection.

You actually understood what I said? My spoken English must be better then I thought... I heard both of you good towards the end. Perhaps I had turned up the sound to much...

Max Sterner
Old 11 Sep 10, 07:00
Sami

Nokturnal, what do you use to take screenshots?

Max Sterner
Old 12 Sep 10, 02:02
Sergeant Major
UK

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie
After the 10th I think I'll look into making up an addon pack for us. Mostly small addons that fix bugs and other things. Worth it?
Forgot to reply to this earlier.
Sounds like a good idea, other than bug fixing, there are a couple that would come in handy like the ShakTac HUD for better situational awareness. I guess if we get into missions that require a few (small sized) unit/vehicle addons we can put them together too.
There's also the JTD rain/fire/flies mods which really improve the atmosphere.

Quote:
Well, I was the one who planned an SF raid like it's a full blown assault..
True...It's pretty hard to conduct a SF raid without darkness on our side too - But with some better gear we might of done okay. We should give that one a go with 4-players.
You're leading though. Got more training than the rest of us.

Quote:
8 player co-op nothing, we almost took them this time with only 3 of us...I'm telling you I have a plan (plus, now that we know we can choose weapons It'll be easier), that's our mission for next time.
Of course mate, not doubting our skills.
Just saying the MP version of this mission is harder than SP. I finished it in SP, but it was just one 5-man squad and a few less enemies.
Now we can try different equipment we'll do much better.

Quote:
There should be some good ones, with the enemy FT that tried to flank us, and well, the red smoke grenade
Yup yup, next post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
It's some in-built game code which makes the AI target the new-guy

Quote:
While we're at it, how was the sound for you guys?
I heard Erkki quite well, but Nokturnal sounded kinda muffed out...

I also have another problem that maybe one of you can help solve- I hear the comms. over the main speakers (it's a TS option) but the game sounds are over my ear piece (I'm using a Bluetooth one) and that sucks...
The sound was fine for me, like you say the only issue was hearing myself over your speakers when we both held the PTT button. Other then that, it did get harder to hear when we were under fire, but i just accept that as part of the immersion
As for fixing that problem, do you want the game sounds over the main speakers too? Or did you want them separate and just comms to come through the ear piece?
Mackie might actually be better to answer this, he seems to have had more experience with mics and just generally better with computers. Remember me struggling to get into TS?
But i would assume it's possible, maybe something that can be set up in TS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
You actually understood what I said? My spoken English must be better then I thought... I heard both of you good towards the end. Perhaps I had turned up the sound to much...
Yep i heard ya loud and clear (except when we were being fired at). With the volume, does anyone know if the VON setting under Audio is tied to the comms, even if we're not using the in-game comms?

Quote:
Nokturnal, what do you use to take screenshots?
FRAPs, it records and takes pics - I just set it to take a pic every X seconds. First time it was 20, but when we played it was at every 10sec.

Now..on to the pics!
Old 12 Sep 10, 03:13
Sergeant Major
UK

Attempt #2
Same mission, different approach and weapon load-out (we finally noticed the crate there at the start position..). I grabbed a Mk17-SD with TWS(thermal) scope, and i believe Golani chose the same (?). Erkki took the role of designated marksmen and picked up an M110 (was it also with thermal? the scope looked huge..)

This time we head up the hills SW of the road, with thermal scopes hopefully we have a better chance of spotting them, rather than walk into ambush after ambush.
Just a few metres up the hill and we're taking fire from the houses below. I put on my NVGs to lase (laze?) the area where we're taking fire from and they're dropped shortly after.

We start taking fire from down the street we took last game, Erkki is revived just in time and we suppress the enemy then continue up the hill towards a (now) safe house.

Golani moves up along side the building and i advance to join up. The enemy pull the old "appear from every direction" trick, but this time we handle it better.
Erkki has a good view from the hill and Golani and I move around the sides of the building as we scan for more enemies.

We thought it was all clear, but they were actually flanking us on the right!
After dealing with them we join back up and proceed down the hill and into the compound.

We don't get far before another patrol is spotted down the street, they don't last long...

A shot of the map - We've just reached the bottom of the hill, and the first building we have to search.

We unleash a smoke screen! The enemy were so frightened and confused they remained in cover and we crossed the road in peace.

Golani and I move through the building towards the objective and Erkki covers the street.
In this pic Golani is taking fire from an adjacent building and Erkki is dealing with some men coming up the main road.

I move up the nearby stairs to cover their approach while Golani reloads.
We hear more small arms fire from a distance, they're closing in on the compound and just wounded Erkki.

Golani moves back to heal Erkki as more enemy emerge from down the road.
I run through a nearby building to engage them from a different angle, luckily stumbling upon the first piece of intel.

We're all trying to keep the enemy at bay.
Unfortunately they're coming from the other end of the road too, and from further inside the town.

I'm trying to move back up to re-group but the enemy keep popping out from corners.
I think at this point Erkki has just been revived but they were taking fire while Golani was healing so i'm not sure of their status.
In the pic you can see one of the last enemy units i saw before i had to take cover behind a vehicle, and was then cut to pieces.

This mission took quite a while, so there's almost 100 pics in total.
I've not uploaded the rest of the first attempt yet - But i'll get to that when i find some pics from the Steal the car mission. (tomorrow maybe)
Anyway, here's the rest of Attempt 2:
http://img836.imageshack.us/g/arma2o...023261068.jpg/

Last edited by Nokturnal; 12 Sep 10 at 03:39..
Old 12 Sep 10, 13:07
General of the Forums
Israel

As always, very nice AAR

Aside from that old guy (Jack Nicholson?) what's that about...?
Old 12 Sep 10, 15:44
Sami

So, when is the next time?

I got some ideas concerning that mission. First we move into the first little village, secure. Then we take position in the three story building and someone takes a snipping position at the roof, someone acting as a spotter with a rangefinder would be great aswell. After there are no enemies left we move to the hill like last time. Basically same procedure there. From there I got no plan, perhaps we should try the street where we wasted so many last time, and then continue towards the objective?

Max Sterner
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!