HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks > Mess Hall

Notices and Announcements

Mess Hall By popular demand - this area of the Barracks is set aside for all your culinary-related discussions.

Old 25 Jun 10, 01:19
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Polish food. Is anyone besides me a fan?

A couple days back, I had a bad hankering for some Polish Kieshka sausage, but my local grocer had run out. Damn, was I pissed off! I had this warm and fuzzy vision of a fine Polish breakfast of fresh fried eggs, kieshka and crisp, hash brown potatoes, along with toasted whole wheat bread and a flagon of black coffee, but to no avail. In any event, I settled on bacon and eggs, instead.

However, I made a list of some of the other Polish delicasies we regularly partake of and are easily obtainable. I came up with cabbage rolls aka. golumbki, potato stuffed dumplings aka. pierogi, plus chawneena, or duck blood soup, nalesniki or fruit stuffed crepes, Kapusta, or pork ribs with sauerkraut and of course, the usual smoked or fresh kielbassa with plenty of garlic.

What other Polish foods do you usually enjoy and make with your family?

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 25 Jun 10, 09:21
Major General
Poland
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300]
You just listed a menu from my grandmother's house when I was growing up!

Time to hit the grocery store...
Old 25 Jun 10, 09:26
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thats it. Polish cuisine at the first tailgate of the season. Ribs and sauerkraut. Talk about mixing two great comfort foods!

Thanks for the inspiration there JB!
Old 25 Jun 10, 11:29
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Pilsudski has demonstrated strength of character [100] Pilsudski has demonstrated strength of character [100] Pilsudski has demonstrated strength of character [100] Pilsudski has demonstrated strength of character [100] Pilsudski has demonstrated strength of character [100] Pilsudski has demonstrated strength of character [100] Pilsudski has demonstrated strength of character [100] Pilsudski has demonstrated strength of character [100] Pilsudski has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Nothing in the world compares to Polish food IMHO. Fresh kielbasa FTW!!!

*mouth watering*
Old 25 Jun 10, 13:53
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Yeah. On a warm summer's day in New York, dining at Odessa, and then spending the rest of the day dragging your ass: that's always been one of my favorite activities.

Come to think of it, even my grandmother's Christmas dinner would stick to my ribs rather uncomfortably. You need a fifth of vodka just to emulsify all the fat.

Old 25 Jun 10, 14:27
Banned
United_States

Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryan View Post
A couple days back, I had a bad hankering for some Polish Kieshka sausage, but my local grocer had run out. Damn, was I pissed off! I had this warm and fuzzy vision of a fine Polish breakfast of fresh fried eggs, kieshka and crisp, hash brown potatoes, along with toasted whole wheat bread and a flagon of black coffee, but to no avail. In any event, I settled on bacon and eggs, instead.

However, I made a list of some of the other Polish delicasies we regularly partake of and are easily obtainable. I came up with cabbage rolls aka. golumbki, potato stuffed dumplings aka. pierogi, plus chawneena, or duck blood soup, nalesniki or fruit stuffed crepes, Kapusta, or pork ribs with sauerkraut and of course, the usual smoked or fresh kielbassa with plenty of garlic.

What other Polish foods do you usually enjoy and make with your family?
Man Mr. JB that chow is fantastic.
Old 25 Jun 10, 15:08
General of the Forums
United_States

johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
Yeah. On a warm summer's day in New York, dining at Odessa, and then spending the rest of the day dragging your ass: that's always been one of my favorite activities.

Come to think of it, even my grandmother's Christmas dinner would stick to my ribs rather uncomfortably. You need a fifth of vodka just to emulsify all the fat.

Polish Blackerry Brandy works really well too!
Old 25 Jun 10, 15:09
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsudski View Post

*mouth watering*

From another kitchen across the globe.

Who said the ancients didn't cross the oceans. Someone from Poland obviously brought a good idea to Mexico. Or vice versa. Either way.
Old 25 Jun 10, 15:10
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:

*mouth watering*
Yup! Nothing like Polish "Soul Food.".
Old 25 Jun 10, 15:11
General of the Forums
United_States

Tonight, I'm cooking Beef Stroganoff, which appeals to the Hungarian portion of my ethnic background..

Old 25 Jun 10, 15:15
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ibis View Post
From another kitchen across the globe.

Who said the ancients didn't cross the oceans. Someone from Poland obviously brought a good idea to Mexico. Or vice versa. Either way.
You've got that right! Delicious, stick to your ribs food designed to sustain a hard working man after a long day in the fields, forrest, or factory.
Old 25 Jun 10, 15:27
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:

*mouth watering*
Holy cow that looks good!
Old 25 Jun 10, 15:32
Banned
United_States

Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100] Thunder Dome has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Ibis! damn! stop this nonsense immediately. there's not a good Polish house, for eats, with 200 miles of me.
Old 25 Jun 10, 15:39
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dome View Post
Ibis! damn! stop this nonsense immediately. there's not a good Polish house, for eats, with 200 miles of me.

Don't look at me. Its JB's thread.

Besides, if you're nice, I bet one of these kind posters will send you some recipes. You can make your house the local Polish food hotspot.
Old 25 Jun 10, 15:49
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dome View Post
I'm from a Ukrainian background myself, so if you haul your tired ass over here, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. If you catch me in a good mood, I might even whip up a little something myself -- but not 'til September! Otherwise, I'd be happy to travel west for some good Mex or Asian. Best Chinese I ever had was in San Francisco.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!