StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Orders of Battle

Notices and Announcements

Orders of Battle Orders-of-battle, TO&E's, and related information on who fought where and what they brought to the battle.

Old 09 Jun 10, 15:20
Colonel
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
American Vietnam War era TO&Es

As I was perusing one of my favourite War Establishment / TO&E sites that usually concentrates on information relevant to the Second World War, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the site now has information on the US Army and USMC for the late 1960s / early 1970s.

Tony Chadwick, the owner, has begun to delve into the post-war world on his site (war establishments.net) including both American and British units. There are only a few now, but I have never seen them on any other site which makes them that much more unique.

Go here and look under the Infantry, Airborne, Reconnaissance and Special Forces sub-headings. All are in PDF so Adobe will be required to read them.

Good on ya' Tony.

Cheers,
Dan.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 18 Jun 10, 13:17
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
The Special Forces June 1970 TO&E is simply a rename of the previous Special Forces Company MTO&E. Since the Conventional Army had a hard time understanding the command responsibilities of A Teams (Captains), B Teams (Majors, except in Vietnam in 1968, where theyw ere LTCs), and C Teams (LTCs), the companies (each with 1 C Team, three B Teams, and 18 A Teams) were renamed Battalions. Bear in mind that these units were not designed to fight as organic elements, except on unilateral (US only) Direct Action operations (i.e., the Son Tay raid). A single A Team could raise, equip, train, and direct operations by up to three light infantry battalions (roughly 1200 to 1400 indigenous troops). The Det. B-20 MIKE Force, in 1968, counted a total six parachute trained battalions for a while, before dropping to five. At one time, the 5th SFG (Abn), with 4 SF companies (i.e., 1970 battalions) and a large Hqs (which included B-55 (A-502, A-503), B-52 (Project Delta) and other B Teams cum MACVSOG C&C elements) was directly involved in operations by 40,000 CIDG, and in an advisory capacity, was equipping and advising another 40,000 RF/PF.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!
Old 19 Jan 17, 21:32
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99]
I have also been looking for U.S. Army and USMC Vietnam War TOE. I am most interested in infantry squad, platoon and company.

I've done searches on the internet but not found much.

Were the TOE for infantry, airmobile, airborne different at except vehicles?
Old 21 Jan 17, 21:45
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thfabn View Post
I have also been looking for U.S. Army and USMC Vietnam War TOE. I am most interested in infantry squad, platoon and company.

I've done searches on the internet but not found much.

Were the TOE for infantry, airmobile, airborne different at except vehicles?
In 1965, there were infantry, airborne, and airmobile TOEs that each had slight differences. The Army created an additional light infantry battalion TOE. In Vietnam, all infantry units (except mechanized, and maybe the "riverine" units in 9th ID) operated under an MTOE that authorized an HHC, 4 rifle companies, and a combat support company. The change was phased in over time- I think around 1967-1968, but could have been longer than that.

Maneuver and Firepower, p334 (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...44224172,d.eWE) doesn't go into detail. Earlier the book shows 842 for an infantry battalion, 828 for an airborne battalion, and 767 for an airmobile battalion, but doesn't give a number for the light infantry battalion.

Last edited by 82redleg; 21 Jan 17 at 22:03..
Old 29 Jan 17, 21:00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99]
From what I'm seeing the U.S. Army squad was 10 men.

Squad leader

Two fire teams of 4 men. One with a grenade launcher and one "automatic rifleman".

One extra rifleman the Squad leader could assign to either fire team.

The Automatic rifle? Was it just an M 16 with a bi-pod?

Did the platoon have an M 60 or two? And recoiless rifles? Where the recoilless rifles left in base camp?
Old 31 Jan 17, 22:59
First Lieutenant
United_States

Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thfabn View Post
From what I'm seeing the U.S. Army squad was 10 men.

Squad leader

Two fire teams of 4 men. One with a grenade launcher and one "automatic rifleman".

One extra rifleman the Squad leader could assign to either fire team.

The Automatic rifle? Was it just an M 16 with a bi-pod?

Did the platoon have an M 60 or two? And recoiless rifles? Where the recoilless rifles left in base camp?
Foot infantry rifle squads had ten men.

-Squad Leader

Five man Fire Team
-1 Team Leader
-1 Automatic Rifleman with an M-16A1/bipod or M-14E2
-1 Grenadier w/M-79
-2 Riflemen

The four man Fire Team had only 1 rifleman

Mech. Squads had a driver as well.

The Weapons Squad nominally had 11 men

-1 Squad Leader
-2 Machine gunners (w/M60)
-2 Assistant Machine gunners
-2 Recoilless Gunners (w/90mm M67 RR)
-2 Assistant Recoilless Gunners
-2 Ammunition Bearers

In Vietnam the WS was usually done away with and the M-60s assigned to the squads or platoon HQ.

Source here was Gordon Rottman "US Army Infantryman in Vietnam."

Tuebor

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!