HistoryNet.com RSS
ArmchairGeneral.com RSS

HistoryNet.com Articles
America's Civil War
American History
Aviation History
Civil War Times
MHQ
Military History
Vietnam
Wild West
World War II

ACG Online
ACG Magazine
Stuff We Like
War College
History News
Tactics 101
Carlo D'Este
Books

ACG Gaming
Boardgames
PC Game Reviews

ACG Network
Contact Us
Our Newsletter
Meet Our Staff
Advertise With Us

Sites We Support
HistoryNet.com
StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 10 Aug 10, 23:28
Nokturnal's Avatar
Nokturnal Nokturnal is offline
Sergeant Major
UK
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 
 
Real Name: Alex
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 348
Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Damn fine trailer, DetCord! Can't wait to give those missions a play through.

Will you be using many addons? Not really a problem as i download most of them anyway, just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani
I was excited when I noticed it's for sale.

Come on, that's a cheap shot.
An understandable reaction, and many others felt the same way. But unlike other companies, i don't believe this is purely to milk the franchise.

This is from the "Ask Bohemia about A2OA" wiki page:
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/A...A2OA_-_Answers

"Both free and paid DLC is planned for A2OA. It will be distributed through different online channels. We've always given a lot of content to our community for free, however, we would like to see if there is interest from our users to fund development of higher quality and more complex packages. Fundamentally, the situation of the PC market in general, and sales of our products in particular, limits our ability to produce new content funded by the income from sales of the core game alone, as we have done in the past. We understand that this is a sensitive topic to some of our users; however, I suggest to not start any flame wars: if someone does not like to pay for DLC, the easiest thing is to simply not buy it."

Of course this could just be a big sob-story to give them reason to start releasing DLC-packs. However, seeing as Arma has such a small audience and gets limited attention from any form of media, it's plausible.

They've mentioned that core-engine updates will always be provided free of charge so we won't be forced to buy the DLC to keep up to date. The only real issue would be for MP players, and even then i think alot of the people complaining about that are blowing it out of proportion.

Anyway, this never really bothered me. Before it was announced i was already more than happy to give BIS more money for more content so i won't have to think twice about this....That being said, i would of preferred Aussie units.

Quote:
So I finished the OA campaign (which I never got to do in ARMAII) and I have to say I'm a little disappointed.
I finished it over the weekend and i gotta agree it was pretty dissapointing. The story was all over the place, it wasn't until the final cinematic that i realised i had played as 4 different characters..

Though i think, like you said, it was only meant to show off the new features/units, which it did, but not for long enough. By the time you started enjoying the role, the mission would be over.
On the flipside, the new boot camp missions are very nicely put together.

Playing through the OA campaign also made me want to re-play the Harvest Red campaign.
Maybe it will actually be enjoyable after the 7 patches? Last time i played was 1.04 and i had to skip Manhattan after a dozen random crashes.
__________________
"My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
- Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11 Aug 10, 03:03
Golani's Avatar
Golani Golani is offline
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
 
Real Name: Oded
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Israel
Posts: 9,437
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Like I mentioned a few times, I have no problem giving money to BIS, in fact I like it (well...maybe I'm exaggerating a bit) because I always get a profit from it.

But as far as addons go, come on- there are people out there that create stuff that are actually better then the original!

What I think will be a better path to choose (and will make me happier) is if they'll focus solely on creating new campaigns which are always a step back in the community...I'm talking actual campaigns with a story and continuousness and all the stuff they usually offer...they can use community addons if they deem it necessary (like they did in the past) and since they'll be doing several campaigns each can focus on specific themes (infantry, armor, air) which will be a relive for most players.

Hey! they did just that in OFP expansion Red Hammer and Resistance, why not now?

P.S
Did you hear anything about BIS saying that OA is the last game in the genera they'll release..?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11 Aug 10, 06:12
Nokturnal's Avatar
Nokturnal Nokturnal is offline
Sergeant Major
UK
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 
 
Real Name: Alex
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 348
Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani
Like I mentioned a few times, I have no problem giving money to BIS, in fact I like it (well...maybe I'm exaggerating a bit) because I always get a profit from it.
Of course mate, we both bought OA twice It's clear we don't mind giving BIS our money.
I was basically just quoting you and then going into rant mode - Sorry, wasn't implying that you're refusing to buy the DLC or anything.

Quote:
But as far as addons go, come on- there are people out there that create stuff that are actually better then the original!
I agree the quality is sometimes much better and i think that's because the modders aren't getting paid for their work (with the exception of a few..) so it's not a rush to get it done so they get the money, it's a hobby. That'll never change though, if anything the rush-job done by BIS will just encourage modders to improve it.

But there's other factors such as time, accessibility and creation of missions, expansion of the vanilla Armaverse (i love that word) and of course more money.

Quote:
What I think will be a better path to choose (and will make me happier) is if they'll focus solely on creating new campaigns which are always a step back in the community...I'm talking actual campaigns with a story and continuousness and all the stuff they usually offer...they can use community addons if they deem it necessary (like they did in the past) and since they'll be doing several campaigns each can focus on specific themes (infantry, armor, air) which will be a relive for most players.
That sounds like a much better idea for DLC. Considering they are the ones who put together the engine/editor they should know the ins and outs more than anyone else and should be able to produce some great missions.
Plus it would be great to, for example, play a campaign from each faction to see all the different points of view of the war.

Perhaps after they pump out a few nation-based packs they'll focus on campaigns. We're getting one with the BAF pack, but it'll probably be fairly short.

Quote:
Did you hear anything about BIS saying that OA is the last game in the genera they'll release..?
I haven't heard anything official, but the devs don't give off the impression that they're working on an Arma 3. It's just talk about DLC really.

But....If there's a VBS3 i'd say we might get an Arma 3.
__________________
"My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
- Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11 Aug 10, 08:21
Golani's Avatar
Golani Golani is offline
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
 
Real Name: Oded
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Israel
Posts: 9,437
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
Sorry, wasn't implying that you're refusing to buy the DLC or anything.
No, you offended me...

Quote:
That sounds like a much better idea for DLC. Considering they are the ones who put together the engine/editor they should know the ins and outs more than anyone else and should be able to produce some great missions.
Plus it would be great to, for example, play a campaign from each faction to see all the different points of view of the war.
My point exactly, I have yet to see an actual "community" mission that compares to the feel of an "original" and whenever we get something good once in a while it's only one mission, campaigns-especially good ones are very rare.

Quote:
Perhaps after they pump out a few nation-based packs they'll focus on campaigns. We're getting one with the BAF pack, but it'll probably be fairly short.
I'm guessing "short" is an under-statement, they mentioned in the release info that the campaign will be a short one basically just to show off the new features and units, they didn't even say that when OA was out so just imagine!

Quote:
I haven't heard anything official, but the devs don't give off the impression that they're working on an Arma 3. It's just talk about DLC really.
Now is too early to talk, think about how much time has passed since OFP1985 was out and ARMA was announced...I will be seriously disappointed if there won't be an ARMA3 or some form of equivalent and I can visualize us having a discussion in say a couple of years if VBS is worth a 1,500$ price tag since we wore ARMA all out...

Quote:
But....If there's a VBS3 i'd say we might get an Arma 3.
Shhh! don't jinx it!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11 Aug 10, 19:15
Mackie's Avatar
Mackie Mackie is offline
Brigadier General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 2,268
Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
I was glad to hear the announced DLC but I wasn't sure if I was going to get it. Since then somebody in the community released a tool that inadvertently allowed you to easily get folks custom made models and sell them on Turbo Squid.

The main guy behind RKSL is worried about releasing his addons in case they get nicked. Because of that and there's going to be British voices for the radio that won't be your stereotypical Tally Ho Chaps I'll definitely be getting it. There was a hint that there would be a Scottish voice. Just imagine...

Abdy, bide doon!

A ging tae zero twa een eicht.

Een, far r ye?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12 Aug 10, 03:08
Golani's Avatar
Golani Golani is offline
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
 
Real Name: Oded
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Israel
Posts: 9,437
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post

Abdy, bide doon!

A ging tae zero twa een eicht.

Een, far r ye?
Say what?!

After my rant on campaigns someone released this (Mackie-I think you'll especially like it...) :

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11418

I only tested the waters so far at the first mission, so yeah it requires a sload of addons (which I'm sure you guys already have...) and some of them aren't great, there's a lot of micro-AI-management and some annoying bits (like no voices when people actually talk...) but I think it's one of the best campaigns done so far, at least looks like it to me.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12 Aug 10, 06:54
Mackie's Avatar
Mackie Mackie is offline
Brigadier General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 2,268
Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
Say what?!
I'll translate.

Everybody, stay down!

All go to zero two one eight.

One where are you?

Quote:
After my rant on campaigns someone released this (Mackie-I think you'll especially like it...) :

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11418

I only tested the waters so far at the first mission, so yeah it requires a sload of addons (which I'm sure you guys already have...) and some of them aren't great, there's a lot of micro-AI-management and some annoying bits (like no voices when people actually talk...) but I think it's one of the best campaigns done so far, at least looks like it to me.
Thanks, never noticed it before.

I hope voices will be included at some point as I think they are pretty important for campaigns but the problem is getting people that are good and just don't speak blandly into the microphone. Then again the voice acting in the official campaigns isn't that great either.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12 Aug 10, 21:43
Nokturnal's Avatar
Nokturnal Nokturnal is offline
Sergeant Major
UK
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 
 
Real Name: Alex
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 348
Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani
No, you offended me...
Damn my offensive convict nature! That's why the Brits wanted to get rid of us

Quote:
My point exactly, I have yet to see an actual "community" mission that compares to the feel of an "original" and whenever we get something good once in a while it's only one mission, campaigns-especially good ones are very rare.
I only played the original occasionally at a mates place so i can't really comment on the feel of the original, but i can agree that there's not too many community made missions that are exceptional, most are pretty basic (note: deffinately not saying easy to make, just basic to play).

Quote:
I'm guessing "short" is an under-statement, they mentioned in the release info that the campaign will be a short one basically just to show off the new features and units, they didn't even say that when OA was out so just imagine!
Yeah it will probably be a mini-campaign similar to EW. But with some funky accents such as...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie
Abdy, bide doon!

A ging tae zero twa een eicht.

Een, far r ye?
Haha that's brilliant!
Really hope they come through with these new accents. I think i saw someone mention geordie (jordi?) accents might make it in too. That will add an extra element to gameplay, trying not to burst out laughing when ordered to move/engage.

By the way, they've recently announced they'll be including a map (can't really say island) in the BAF pack, called Shapur, only 4km2 so it's not going to put the others to shame, but it's great to see even more content for the same price. They really know how to treat their fans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie
I was glad to hear the announced DLC but I wasn't sure if I was going to get it. Since then somebody in the community released a tool that inadvertently allowed you to easily get folks custom made models and sell them on Turbo Squid.
Yeah i heard about that too I really hope this is able to be dealt with.
BIS have started discussing licensing again and are helping addon makers come up with a more structured approach to releasing content.
It would be devestating to lose a bunch of addon makers, especially if they're producing such quality as RKSL.

Lately there's also been alot of noise about a new addon/script/tool designed to basically make life hell for MP servers. People are able to steal admin powers, take control of players units and just basically render the game unplayable.

It seems Arma is going through a bit of a rough patch...But i'm hoping these ADHD kiddies will get bored and move on soon enough, it seems to be the trend.
Just wait for the new CoD, they'll be told it's "hack proof" and will be required (by the code of hackers, rule 62.B) to prove them wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani
I can't check this one out yet - Still got my OA and A2 installed separately...
But that one is deffinately on my 'to play' list when i combine them. Maybe by then there will be some voice overs.
__________________
"My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
- Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 13 Aug 10, 03:57
Golani's Avatar
Golani Golani is offline
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
 
Real Name: Oded
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Israel
Posts: 9,437
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
Haha that's brilliant!
Really hope they come through with these new accents. I think i saw someone mention geordie (jordi?) accents might make it in too. That will add an extra element to gameplay, trying not to burst out laughing when ordered to move/engage.
I just hope they'll have subtitles.

Ever played BIA: Hell's Highway?
When the Irish guards tanker talks he always have subtitles, even if you turned the subtitle option off.
Quote:
I can't check this one out yet - Still got my OA and A2 installed separately...
But that one is deffinately on my 'to play' list when i combine them. Maybe by then there will be some voice overs.


I download OA (only OA) and when I installed it it automatically turned into combined operations...
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 15 Aug 10, 03:08
Nokturnal's Avatar
Nokturnal Nokturnal is offline
Sergeant Major
UK
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 
 
Real Name: Alex
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 348
Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
I just hope they'll have subtitles.

Ever played BIA: Hell's Highway?
When the Irish guards tanker talks he always have subtitles, even if you turned the subtitle option off.
You got a point there...But if the subtitles are written as Mackie wrote out the Scottish, then we'd still have no idea what's being said

Watching the latest AAN clip it seems they've deffinately got some new accents in there Once again a nice jab at Codemasters too hehe..


Quote:
I download OA (only OA) and when I installed it it automatically turned into combined operations...
Yeah if you let it install direct to the A2 directory they combine - However, before i got OA a friend had picked it up through Steam, but wasn't willing to buy A2 yet. So i wasn't sure if me, having CO would be able to play with him having just OA on his comp...Got no answer from the forums/mods/devs either so i just decided to keep them separate to be sure coop would work.

Doesn't seem to be intersted anymore so i'll uninstall and combine them next weekend probably.
Missed out on alot of missions and new mods because they were separated. So i'll have a bit of catching up to do Damn the productive Arma community!
__________________
"My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
- Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

  #71  
Old 17 Aug 10, 19:16
Mackie's Avatar
Mackie Mackie is offline
Brigadier General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 2,268
Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
You got a point there...But if the subtitles are written as Mackie wrote out the Scottish, then we'd still have no idea what's being said
Och yous twa wina hiv tae be feart aboot at. BIS ken fit they'r deein like.





Quote:
Watching the latest AAN clip it seems they've deffinately got some new accents in there Once again a nice jab at Codemasters too hehe..
I can't hear, over the audio what the Para is saying. Something about Kalashnikovs and latrines?

Whoever made that video is a C&C Red Alert fan and an amateur comedian. Heck, he has a lot of material to work with the abomination that will be the next Codemasters OFP.

*sniffles*

What are they doing to my beloved Flashy?

Quote:
Yeah if you let it install direct to the A2 directory they combine - However, before i got OA a friend had picked it up through Steam, but wasn't willing to buy A2 yet. So i wasn't sure if me, having CO would be able to play with him having just OA on his comp...Got no answer from the forums/mods/devs either so i just decided to keep them separate to be sure coop would work.

Doesn't seem to be intersted anymore so i'll uninstall and combine them next weekend probably.
I too know of the difficulty of converting a friend who is an unbeliever.

Quote:
Missed out on alot of missions and new mods because they were separated. So i'll have a bit of catching up to do Damn the productive Arma community!
I spend more time browsing the forums and downloading addons than I do playing.

On a side note it would be great if we could have a game. It would be pretty difficult though.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 19 Aug 10, 01:45
Nokturnal's Avatar
Nokturnal Nokturnal is offline
Sergeant Major
UK
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 
 
Real Name: Alex
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 348
Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie
Och yous twa wina hiv tae be feart aboot at. BIS ken fit they'r deein like.
Believe it or not, this one i could understand without the translation Though to be fair, i did read it outloud, and put on a (poor) accent...

Quote:
I can't hear, over the audio what the Para is saying. Something about Kalashnikovs and latrines?
This is what i heard:

Reporter - Sergeant, Has terrorist activity increased signifcantly in the recent past?

Sergeant - Fayuk (****..?) you gotta check for a maniac with a kalashnikov even on/in latrines

Not entirely sure, but yeah something about kalashnikovs and latrines...Either way it paints a funny picture.
Wonder if there'll be missions revolving around this - They'd have to provide gas masks within the BAF pack for that though.

Quote:
Whoever made that video is a C&C Red Alert fan and an amateur comedian. Heck, he has a lot of material to work with the abomination that will be the next Codemasters OFP.
Were the C&C references the 'Hell march' part (and quotes before/after) i thought it sounded familiar - From the soundtrack or something?

Yep there's no shortage of jokes to be made at Codemasters expense. Especially considering they brought back Sion "I'd lie to my own mother if it would get me $50" Lenton.
In fact, they even promoted him! After the DR fiasco and all...

Thanks for the reminder though, i was meaning to bump the old DR topic with a warning to any potential customers I'll do that when i get home, i'd really hate to see more people fall victim to their lies.

Quote:
What are they doing to my beloved Flashy?
If we take into account the removal of units/features between DR and RR, then i can only assume the next title will be even more reduced.
They could call it: Operation Flashpoint: Paved Road, and the aim will be simply to drive from location to location and drop off troops. Because let's face it, that's the only thing the Ego engine has ever been any good at, driving games.
Then again, they somehow managed to make the driving physics in DR even worse than they are in Arma... Can't rely on CM to do anything right.


Quote:
I too know of the difficulty of converting a friend who is an unbeliever.
Bloody frustrating isn't it?
I'm starting to think one of the problems is it looks too damn good. I've shown friends some pics/vids and their jaws drop and they say it's the best thing they've ever seen. Then they sit down to play and start whining because they have to walk for a few minutes before any shooting starts.
Most people don't seem able to understand that you're not "the guy" with the gun, you're just "a guy" with a gun. So when the action kicks off, their next complaint is "the AI are stealing my kills".

Then there's the people who refuse to do any reading and complain because some mission briefings take "too long" to read. They'd probably rather have the objective flash up on their screen every few minutes as in corridor-shooters.

But anyway, i've given up trying to convert people - They're the ones missing out, not me.

Quote:
I spend more time browsing the forums and downloading addons than I do playing
Glad it's not just me! I'm going to have to dedicate an entire weekend to actually playing with all the addons i've downloaded recently, so many are just sitting on the desktop waiting...

Quote:
On a side note it would be great if we could have a game. It would be pretty difficult though.
Sounds like a good idea - Spoke to Golani about this very thing actually.
But you're right it would be difficult to organise, we'll have to figure out what time(s) we can all be on and just go from there.
I'm deffinatley up for it though.


EDIT - Damn, i was but i'm sure you can guess what the 4 *s represent.
__________________
"My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
- Major General Freddie de Guingand, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-force Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944.

Last edited by Nokturnal; 19 Aug 10 at 02:16..
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 19 Aug 10, 17:28
Golani's Avatar
Golani Golani is offline
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
 
Real Name: Oded
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Israel
Posts: 9,437
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Like I told Nokturnal, I'll be out of the service in 4 months and I'll have more time on my hands then I ever had, plus I'll probably get the itch for the action again, so I wouldn't mind playing whenever's good for you.

But before that, September I'll have a week off (!) we can try and pull it through if you're up for it (George- I know you're in school, Alex- what are you up to these days?) I can be flexible with the times...

The only problem should be HOW? and that one should be resolved by you two wiz kids 'cause I have no idea how to setup a teamspeak server or even how to play co-op\multiplayer in ARMA, oh yeah, then you'll have to teach me

We could also turn it into an ACG thing, we have people dropping in every now and then, I'm sure we could get attention for another player or two, but I'm really up for playing with the two of you guys (that didn't come off to weired did it..? )
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 19 Aug 10, 19:20
Mackie's Avatar
Mackie Mackie is offline
Brigadier General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 2,268
Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
Believe it or not, this one i could understand without the translation Though to be fair, i did read it outloud, and put on a (poor) accent...
Props for the accent.

Quote:
This is what i heard:

Reporter - Sergeant, Has terrorist activity increased signifcantly in the recent past?

Sergeant - Fayuk (****..?) you gotta check for a maniac with a kalashnikov even on/in latrines

Not entirely sure, but yeah something about kalashnikovs and latrines...Either way it paints a funny picture.
Wonder if there'll be missions revolving around this - They'd have to provide gas masks within the BAF pack for that though.
He must be Northern English since he was hard to understand. You know many of them don't use the word 'the'?

Quote:
Were the C&C references the 'Hell march' part (and quotes before/after) i thought it sounded familiar - From the soundtrack or something?
Yeah Hell March, it's one of the best game themes.



Quote:
Yep there's no shortage of jokes to be made at Codemasters expense. Especially considering they brought back Sion "I'd lie to my own mother if it would get me $50" Lenton.
In fact, they even promoted him! After the DR fiasco and all...

Thanks for the reminder though, i was meaning to bump the old DR topic with a warning to any potential customers I'll do that when i get home, i'd really hate to see more people fall victim to their lies.

If we take into account the removal of units/features between DR and RR, then i can only assume the next title will be even more reduced.
They could call it: Operation Flashpoint: Paved Road, and the aim will be simply to drive from location to location and drop off troops. Because let's face it, that's the only thing the Ego engine has ever been any good at, driving games.
Then again, they somehow managed to make the driving physics in DR even worse than they are in Arma... Can't rely on CM to do anything right.
I was hoping that there would be no sequel. I guess they just can't resist milking the name.

Quote:
Bloody frustrating isn't it?
I'm starting to think one of the problems is it looks too damn good. I've shown friends some pics/vids and their jaws drop and they say it's the best thing they've ever seen. Then they sit down to play and start whining because they have to walk for a few minutes before any shooting starts.
Most people don't seem able to understand that you're not "the guy" with the gun, you're just "a guy" with a gun. So when the action kicks off, their next complaint is "the AI are stealing my kills".

Then there's the people who refuse to do any reading and complain because some mission briefings take "too long" to read. They'd probably rather have the objective flash up on their screen every few minutes as in corridor-shooters.

But anyway, i've given up trying to convert people - They're the ones missing out, not me.
Oh tell me about it! You're totally right though, they're the ones missing out!

Quote:
Glad it's not just me! I'm going to have to dedicate an entire weekend to actually playing with all the addons i've downloaded recently, so many are just sitting on the desktop waiting...
I have a massive archive of OFP, ArmA and ArmA 2 addons on my HD. The amount of content is unbelievable. 84GB plus a lot more on DVD.

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea - Spoke to Golani about this very thing actually.
But you're right it would be difficult to organise, we'll have to figure out what time(s) we can all be on and just go from there.
I'm deffinatley up for it though.
Yeah, definitely up for it. I was thinking hosting locally for a start but I don't think it would work. It would probably be better finding a server that we all have an acceptable ping to.

What about voice comms?
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 20 Aug 10, 05:07
Golani's Avatar
Golani Golani is offline
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
 
Real Name: Oded
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Israel
Posts: 9,437
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
Yeah, definitely up for it. I was thinking hosting locally for a start but I don't think it would work. It would probably be better finding a server that we all have an acceptable ping to.
My home connection was upgraded to 12MB (supposedly, I didn't actually see it yet) so I should pull through...

Quote:
What about voice comms?
I was hoping one of you guys knew how to operate a Teamspeak or a Ventrilo...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!


Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:35.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.