StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 16 Jul 10, 04:07
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I broke like a little twig.

After constant stalling and "time buying" from the now 2 companies that were supposed to import the game, I am currently downloading OA from Sprocket.

I went with them because I hate steam but also because I thought I'd get an .exe (or similar) file which I could burn for later use (or as simply a backup) doesn't seem like that's the case.

Currently at 16%.
Old 16 Jul 10, 14:02
Brigadier General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
You snapped faster than the Takistan Army.

I snapped the same with ArmA 2 and bought a German download version. I thought they would release a patch like they did with ArmA that would allow you to change the language, they didn't, so I had to get another copy.

I prefer hard copies myself but you will be OK with the Sprocket version as it comes in all languages and BIS get more money in their pocket than with Steam.
Old 16 Jul 10, 14:10
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
I prefer hard copies myself but you will be OK with the Sprocket version as it comes in all languages
I wish it wouldn't take so long to download...I'm at 76%, started downloading when I posted the earlier post.

I also hope the files can be burned for future use, a mock up hard copy is better then nothing...

Quote:
and BIS get more money in their pocket than with Steam.
Might sound strange but that's actually a significant matter to me.
Not to say that's what balanced me not to buy from steam (I think we already based my reasons...) but supporting such a great company is important.
Old 17 Jul 10, 09:35
Brigadier General
Pirate

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
I wish it wouldn't take so long to download...I'm at 76%, started downloading when I posted the earlier post.
Ouch, that's a long time. How big is the download?

Quote:
I also hope the files can be burned for future use, a mock up hard copy is better then nothing...
You can burn as many as you want as far as I know. Just keep your serial key and emails from Sprocket safe.

Quote:
Not to say that's what balanced me not to buy from steam (I think we already based my reasons...) but supporting such a great company is important.
Totally agree mate. If it wasn't for companies like that the market would just have COD clone after COD clone after COD clone.

Old 17 Jul 10, 09:58
General of the Forums
Israel

It was about a 7GB download but it took exceptionally long...(I think about 14 hours) anyway I'm loving it...

I still have the usual rants of AI control (especially in the multiple vehicle mission) but the game seems to have a better flow to it...and some cool new features (thermal scope, weapon mounted lasers, the inability to look through a regular scope with your NVGs on) I just wish they'd borrow some of ACE's invaluable features (like bi-pods, jeez....why have a weapon with a bi-pod if you can't deploy it?!).

Also cool little "easter eggs" so far I notices president Mckain (liks Stryker pointed put) humanitarian involvement by Chernuras and....the tanker character modeled as a fat man...!
Sponsored Links

Old 17 Jul 10, 14:47
Colonel
Australia

globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200]
I just rec'd my copy of OA and it looks pretty good; only played one mission in the mission editor; the environment was an interesting improvement; once the shooting started I noticed that there were civilians screaming and yelling, and one was seen running from the area.

Pretty cool.
Old 18 Jul 10, 23:20
Sergeant Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani
I broke like a little twig.
I'm almost at breaking point myself... To make matters worse, i've been told by a couple of other play-asia customers that their version (Asian version) arrived and they've been playing it for almost a week now.
I'll wait till the end of this week, if it doesn't arrive then i'm going to Sprocket.

Quote:
I went with them because I hate steam but also because I thought I'd get an .exe (or similar) file which I could burn for later use (or as simply a backup) doesn't seem like that's the case.
Out of curiosity, did it come as an .exe or image file (iso, img, mdf etc..) or was it just a bunch of setup files?

Quote:
and BIS get more money in their pocket than with Steam.
Quote:
Doesn't sound strange at all. There are people who purposely buy it from 2 places, Sprocket and anywhere else for physical copy, purely to support the company.
While this wasn't my plan originally, it seems like i'll be doing this too. Hopefully it goes smoothly because i'd imagine any DLC would be coming through via Sprocket or Steam rather than them offering phsyical copies.

Quote:
Also cool little "easter eggs" so far I notices president Mckain (liks Stryker pointed put) humanitarian involvement by Chernuras and....the tanker character modeled as a fat man...!
There's quite alot of easter eggs apparently, some people began compiling a list here:
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=101167

I like this one personally.
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...d-review/3.jpg
FOS-Planck - Planck was a community member who died sometime prior to the OA release, and this is their way of remembering him.
They even made a flag for him:

Being new to the Arma series i'd not heard of him personally, but seeing this still made me smile.
This is a great example of how BIS care about their community.
Old 19 Jul 10, 01:43
General of the Forums
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
Out of curiosity, did it come as an .exe or image file (iso, img, mdf etc..) or was it just a bunch of setup files?
IIRC (I'm not home) it had 8 bin. files and a setup .exe to run them all together.

Quote:
Doesn't sound strange at all. There are people who purposely buy it from 2 places, Sprocket and anywhere else for physical copy, purely to support the company.
While this wasn't my plan originally, it seems like i'll be doing this too. Hopefully it goes smoothly because i'd imagine any DLC would be coming through via Sprocket or Steam rather than them offering phsyical copies.
I might even do it myself once (if at all) the prices drop (and I'll find it anywhere in Israel...) since I can't seem to be able to burn it.
Quote:

FOS-Planck - Planck was a community member who died sometime prior to the OA release, and this is their way of remembering him.

Being new to the Arma series i'd not heard of him personally, but seeing this still made me smile.
That IS awesome!
Old 19 Jul 10, 08:23
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post

I didn't know Planck personally but he was heavily involved with the community at OFPEC and on the official forums helping people out. It was only when he passed away I found out that he lived in a place I used to live nearby to.

Very helpful guy and a nice little tribute from BIS.
Old 19 Jul 10, 16:34
General of the Forums
Israel

Well, got a message today that the game might be arriving on the 27th unless more stuff go wrong, that means I should have had it sometime at the start of August.

So I don't regret downloading
Old 22 Jul 10, 10:31
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
ArmA 2: British Armed Forces

Quote:
Bohemia Interactive is pleased to announce the reinforcement of Operation Arrowhead - British Armed Forces are to provide a surge in support of the ongoing coalition deployment in Takistan!
http://www.arma2.com/game-features/a...atures_en.html

Last edited by Boonierat; 22 Jul 10 at 10:33..
Old 22 Jul 10, 11:39
General of the Forums
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
I was excited when I noticed it's for sale.

Come on, that's a cheap shot.
Old 23 Jul 10, 14:04
General of the Forums
Israel

So I finished the OA campaign (which I never got to do in ARMAII) and I have to say I'm a little disappointed.

A very short campaign with just a small taste from everything, not much of a story at all, feels like the campaign was just a show of capabilities for the game and that the developers are counting on the community to bring forth the real stuff.

Operation Flashpoint 1985 remains my favorite
Old 24 Jul 10, 11:13
Corporal
New_Zealand

DetCord is on the path to success [1-99] DetCord is on the path to success [1-99] DetCord is on the path to success [1-99]
A actual trailer, as opposed to the potential intro I posted some time ago.

Trailer 1 for my upcoming four part series, The Regiment. Based upon actual operations conducted by the 75th Ranger Regiment in Afghanistan, the series will tell the story of the U.S. Army Rangers, their triumphs and tragedies, as they fight their way through the Korangal Valley in some of the bloodiest combat of the Afghan war.

Available in HD 1080p

Old 24 Jul 10, 13:53
Brigadier General
Pirate

Very nice. I loved the mobile phone camera effect at 0.37.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!