StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 28 Jun 10, 19:26
Sergeant Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
How legit are the links you posted..? something about the bold pink background makes me dubious...
Well all the links i posted were from the 'where to buy OA' thread, the links were from the first post (that mods/dev updated) rather than from a random post from another user.
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=100089
So i'd like to think it's legit, but to be honest i don't know any of these companies myself...Even the place i ordered from, play-asia, i've heard next to nothing about.

If buying a physical copy isn't going to be an option, from what i've heard on Sprocket, it sounds like the best download-only option. No program required to boot up the game, just the downloading app and an account on the website to make the payment.
Quote:
Once you pay for the game, you will be redirected back to SprocketIdea.com and you will download a small file "sprocket.exe". This is the downloader that will manage the actual data transfer from our servers to your computer.

When you run sprocket.exe it will connect to the server (depending on the choices you made during the ordering process, with regard to the language version and file mirror) and start downloading the installation file. You can pause or cancel the download at any time. The downloader can resume broken downloads.

When the download is complete, the downloader runs the installation.
I know you're not keen on the d/l option, neither am i, but just saying if you have to pick between Steam and Sprocket, i'd go with Sprocket.
Old 01 Jul 10, 14:43
Brigadier General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Well my copy arrived today, I wasn't expecting it until Saturday, nice surprise.

I only tried it for about 5 minutes when I set up a quick mission on the desert terrain with the random town module. It resulted in a nice quick firefight especially since I didn't know what the town was like.

In the official forums a few people were complaining about performance issues but it runs perfectly well with me so far; no complaints. I can't tell you if it performs any better than stock ArmA 2 as I haven't tried it out enough yet but it should once BIS updates A2OA with the latest engine improvements like it did with ArmA 2 1.07.

First impressions are very good. Now to download the patch and try the campaign or some single missions.
Old 01 Jul 10, 20:13
Sergeant Major
UK

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie
Well my copy arrived today, I wasn't expecting it until Saturday, nice surprise.
Lucky bugger! I was hoping to get it before the weekend but it looks like i'll be waiting a bit longer...

Quote:
I only tried it for about 5 minutes when I set up a quick mission on the desert terrain with the random town module. It resulted in a nice quick firefight especially since I didn't know what the town was like.
When you place enemy units in with the town generator does it place them inside/ontop of buildings or just nearby?
Also does the AI feel a bit more useful in urban combat now?

Quote:
In the official forums a few people were complaining about performance issues but it runs perfectly well with me so far; no complaints. I can't tell you if it performs any better than stock ArmA 2 as I haven't tried it out enough yet but it should once BIS updates A2OA with the latest engine improvements like it did with ArmA 2 1.07.
Glad to hear it's running well. Yes there are a few people complaining over at the forums, but thankfully this time around the majority seem rather pleased.
There's been enhancements to the graphics from what i've heard (SSAO) so some of the complaints could be from people who simply didn't change settings from A2 to OA. I think that's actually a cause for alot of the "this game is broken/unplayable" comments when it comes to Arma, people just aren't willing or able to change their own settings and tweak it until they get the desired performance.

Quote:
First impressions are very good. Now to download the patch and try the campaign or some single missions.
If you play a night mission you'd better post some pics of all those pretty lasers.
Old 02 Jul 10, 04:59
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Latest update-

No one of the companies in the official page and this page will deliver to Israel.

I was able to touch base with the only (!!!) company in Israel who might (!!!) be importing it and they said it'll maybe (!!!) get here in a couple of weeks, they are not sure.

They say there's just no demand for these kind of games here.
Old 02 Jul 10, 07:00
Brigadier General
Pirate

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
Lucky bugger! I was hoping to get it before the weekend but it looks like i'll be waiting a bit longer...

When you place enemy units in with the town generator does it place them inside/ontop of buildings or just nearby?
Also does the AI feel a bit more useful in urban combat now?
When you place one I think it just acts if it was a town already in place so you can give the AI waypoints to it or use something like the urban patrol script to place them in buildings. I also think that if you give the AI a Search and Destroy waypoint with a placement radius they will patrol that area and enter buildings.
Quote:
Glad to hear it's running well. Yes there are a few people complaining over at the forums, but thankfully this time around the majority seem rather pleased.
There's been enhancements to the graphics from what i've heard (SSAO) so some of the complaints could be from people who simply didn't change settings from A2 to OA. I think that's actually a cause for alot of the "this game is broken/unplayable" comments when it comes to Arma, people just aren't willing or able to change their own settings and tweak it until they get the desired performance.
I think that's the major cause too as well as not defragging their drives after installing it then doing it every few months. Not to mention the ones who downloaded it illegally. You know those guys that weren't from Germany, posting screenshots everywhere and complaining about performance. They activated FADE.

Quote:
If you play a night mission you'd better post some pics of all those pretty lasers.
Will be sure to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
Latest update-

No one of the companies in the official page and this page will deliver to Israel.

I was able to touch base with the only (!!!) company in Israel who might (!!!) be importing it and they said it'll maybe (!!!) get here in a couple of weeks, they are not sure.

Aw that's a pain. I tried searching for game stores in Israel but nothing really came up (that and the language barrier). What's your biggest PC/game shop chain? Do you have any stores like the US Walmart?

You could also ask in this thread as there are some Israeli members there and they might see your request.

If you are still struggling you could contact these guys making that Israel Forces pack. The topic does say ArmA 2 IL community.
Old 02 Jul 10, 13:49
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
Aw that's a pain. I tried searching for game stores in Israel but nothing really came up (that and the language barrier). What's your biggest PC/game shop chain? Do you have any stores like the US Walmart?
We have several of those, one of my best friends work in one and he has no clue if they are planning to sale it.

Like I said- so far I only found it in one store in Tel-Aviv, so remote I actually had to ask my friend if it's legit....

Quote:
You could also ask in this thread as there are some Israeli members there and they might see your request.

If you are still struggling you could contact these guys making that Israel Forces pack. The topic does say ArmA 2 IL community.
I'll be sure to do so if I keep getting into dead ends, if no opportunity presents itself I might ask my family in the states to buy one and ship it off here...
Old 03 Jul 10, 00:58
Sergeant Major
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie
I think that's the major cause too as well as not defragging their drives after installing it then doing it every few months. Not to mention the ones who downloaded it illegally. You know those guys that weren't from Germany, posting screenshots everywhere and complaining about performance. They activated FADE.
Haha yeah that was quite amusing - Never seen so many people getting suspended in one day .
Gotta wonder why they thought they'd get away with it though, everyone knew the Germans got it first, so if a non-German player posted pics or impressions they were just asking for trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani

We have several of those, one of my best friends work in one and he has no clue if they are planning to sale it.

I'll be sure to do so if I keep getting into dead ends, if no opportunity presents itself I might ask my family in the states to buy one and ship it off here...
Always hated that "there's no demand" line. One of the downsides to wanting a better than mainstream title i guess. I highly doubt i'll ever see it in a store here in Australia either.
Thing is, considering there's quite a few Israeli and Aussie players over at the forums (and most likely alot more who don't visit the forums) i would say most of the stores got more than a few calls from people asking about it, so wouldn't that mean there IS a demand for the game? Sure it might not be a game you'd want to constantly keep in stock due to a lack of general public interest, but if you've got a few dozen people asking for it why not ship in a few dozen copies..

I guess if you still want a retail copy then getting it shipped from family in the states would be the best option - I'm still waiting on play-asia but i think they were a bad choice...Still no release date for the English version but now they've added an Asia edition which does have a release date...
I'll give it a while longer, but right now i'm wishing i just went with the Sprocket method.
Old 03 Jul 10, 02:24
General of the Forums
Israel

It does seem weired since the older titles got here upon release and where relatively popular...

I wouldn't mind ordering it from, say, Amazon or gamestop or wherever, they just won't ship here...that's the frustration

As a last resort I might digi-download it (if it's at all possible here...) but I wouldn't be very happy about it...
Old 03 Jul 10, 13:34
General of the Forums
France
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
So I bought this, just like ARMA2 I told myself I wouldn't, but I was there, the game was there, I had the money, I bought it. You know how it goes. I can't say I don't enjoy it - I do, but my pet peeves are all still present, and one came back that was missing in ARMA2.

My pet peeves are my own, and while they do take away some enjoyment for me, it doesn't make it a bad game or anything or mean that I don't enjoy any of it. I really do like this game, I just get frustrated at:

Horrible voice acting

Improper use of military jargon

Ridiculously unrealistic task organizations

A squad being given a mission a company would be doing (I can look past this in a way since a company level operation would be a nightmare to program AI for)

My returned pet peeve - This campaign jumps around from person to person, I HATE flying helicopters and I am forced to in this campaign at least once so far. (I haven't finished that mission yet)

Battle plans that make no sense (first mission of the campaign my squad and an SF team are air assaulting on to an airfield at the same time a random number of Brads and tanks are advancing on it, and we just climb out of our Blackhawk right in their field of fire. Genius planning)

The M1Ax Abrams in the game. I was a M1A1 tank commander, M1s in video games make me have to remind myself it is just a game. Even Steel Beasts.

It really bugs me that the characters keep referring to the enemy as "OPFOR" like it is some training exercise.

There is some other stuff I am sure I am forgetting. But despite all this stuff, I still enjoy the game, because it is just that - a game. I did really like at the beginning of the campaign on the news report, the ticker at the bottom of the screen says the US President's name is "President McKain" I laughed when reading that. There are a few other things I found really cool in a couple of the campaign missions so far:

I rate this game as good and worth the money, though it may be a bit overpriced - the campaign seems really shallow and forced so far. The probably should have went with a standard type of expansion and sold it for 10 bucks cheaper.

As for Fade, I bought Operation Flashpoint when it first came out, and bought the next two expansions as they were released as well. I then read about Fade on the internet, and it took me until about 2005 or 2006 to understand how to go about getting a pirated copy. I did it just to see how funny it would be. I think I can support that kind of DRM as opposed to some retarded starforce or Ubisoft constant internet connection type thing.
Old 03 Jul 10, 14:23
General of the Forums
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
Horrible voice acting
Agreed, that was always a problem.

Quote:
Can you give examples?
Quote:
Ridiculously unrealistic task organizations

A squad being given a mission a company would be doing (I can look past this in a way since a company level operation would be a nightmare to program AI for)
Yes, but like you said, it's just a game.

We had many discussion about the realism vs. gameplay here and I think we decided ARMA has done pretty good on it.

Can you imagine how frustrating it would be if say calling artillery strikes or CAS would be as complicated as in real life?how many players would stick around?

If the game would task, say, a battalion plus support units to sweep a village it might be more realistic, but then again you probably won't get any actions and that wouldn't be cost effective.
Sponsored Links

Old 03 Jul 10, 15:11
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
So I bought this, just like ARMA2 I told myself I wouldn't, but I was there, the game was there, I had the money, I bought it. You know how it goes. I can't say I don't enjoy it - I do, but my pet peeves are all still present, and one came back that was missing in ARMA2.

My pet peeves are my own, and while they do take away some enjoyment for me, it doesn't make it a bad game or anything or mean that I don't enjoy any of it. I really do like this game, I just get frustrated at:

Horrible voice acting
Always a problem with games but it's really bad with BIS. Except OFP that was OK.

Quote:
I'm not military so I wouldn't have a clue but is that the near fetish the industry has with Generation Kill call signs? Hitman 1 etc.

You're right that it should be enjoyed as a game and for all its flaws the editor plus addons just keep me pulled in.

It's flexible to create anything you want. For ArmA one guy created a card game mission and then there was Chain of Command's command engine that could allow you to create a mission commanding a battalion size force.

Have you ever fiddled about with the editor? It's well worth it. Just think of a scenario you want to create, nothing too complex, use this guide and you should be able to come up with something pretty much like you envisioned.
Old 03 Jul 10, 15:43
General of the Forums
France
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
As for the jargon - the callsigns are indeed all jacked up, but I can forgive that, because like you said they take them from something familiar, so it gives people that have not been in the US military something a little bit of an understanding as to who is who.

As I mentioned earlier anyone referring to an enemy as OPFOR on a non training battlefield needs to get their head in the game. In the US military that term is used for opposing forces in training exercises.

Constantly referring to rifles as "guns"

A bunch of little things here and there I can't remember at the moment, they mainly come up in the dialogue between higher command and the player (interesting how BN Commanders are giving orders directly to squad leaders ) Also the "humanizing" conversations between the soldiers during downtime is just full of things soldiers wouldn't be saying.

These things are just nit-picking and they nag at me. But I still really like the game, I know it isn't going to be perfect.

Golani - Yeah I totally agree the missions have to be shrunk down to squad level to make them playable, that is why It doesn't bother me so much, I just still laugh when getting orders of "Your squad supported by 1 tank and 1 Bradley are ordered to secure this city with a population of 30,000, its OK though you have a UAV."

Mackie - I made a lot of missions and stuff with Flashpoint/Resistance, used all kinds of mods, I think my favorite one was some African setting where you were a mercenary company, and the campaign was dynamic, you started at an airfield got orders from your commander, chose who you wanted to take and how you would get to the area, go there, do the mission, come back and rest and get a new mission.

I haven't had time to fool with the ARMAII mission editor, I really didn't play ARMAI that much because my computer at the time just couldn't handle it. I have started looking at the add-ons at Armaholic trying to decide what is the best stuff. Then I might try my hand at making some single missions.

Last edited by Stryker 19K30; 03 Jul 10 at 15:45..
Old 03 Jul 10, 16:52
General of the Forums
Israel

Quote:
I haven't had time to fool with the ARMAII mission editor, I really didn't play ARMAI that much because my computer at the time just couldn't handle it. I have started looking at the add-ons at Armaholic trying to decide what is the best stuff. Then I might try my hand at making some single missions.
When you're done be sure to post them here for our enjoyment and "contractive" criticism
Old 04 Jul 10, 08:40
Sergeant Major
UK

Glad to see another face in the Arma threads.

Quote:
Poor voice acting
Very true, though i've played games with worse. Men of War springs to mind... Makes Arma sound like shakespeare.

Quote:
I'm not in the military either so i don't pick up on it but i would assume they'd have to keep it fairly basic and common for us gamers. VBS2 on the other hand does sound rather confusing to me at times, so i'd imagine that's more realistic.

Quote:
FADE
It's the sort of DRM everyone should use. It makes pirates feel stupid, makes the teams who upload things look like liars for saying it works and in some cases possibly convinces people to just pay for the game if they go through all the trouble of downloading it only to eventually turn into a bird.

Quote:
Forces
As you've already pointed out, it would be a strain on the system to have too many AI running about in a huge mission - That being said, check out this:

Not sure how organised the battle was, but certainly looked intense. I'm sure with enough patience you could probably work with the AI and create a decent battle involving more accurately sized forces (on both sides). Though it will probably require use of the high-command...

Good luck on your search through armaholic mate.
Also i'll second what Golani said, the more missions the better.
Old 05 Jul 10, 16:09
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
My returned pet peeve - This campaign jumps around from person to person, I HATE flying helicopters and I am forced to in this campaign at least once so far. (I haven't finished that mission yet)
Open Season?

I'm pretty sure that mission is bugged. I was actually enjoying it because I was getting good use out of my now 6 year old, yet almost new, joystick. I ran out of Hellfire which makes the ULB useless so I want back to the FARP (Forward Ammo Refuel Point, right?) to rearm but this triggered a mission fail. Must be an error because I cannot see how you can do it without rearming. I had to use a cheat to finish it.

The next one is Sandstorm and I am finding it quite difficult and anybody who has played the OFP series knows armour combat isn't one of its strengths. The enemy are numerous and most of the friendly forces get wiped out leaving just my unit and one artillery barrage which you have to use wisely. Maybe I am just unlucky with the mission as nobody has asked any questions about it.

Quote:
As for the jargon - the callsigns are indeed all jacked up, but I can forgive that, because like you said they take them from something familiar, so it gives people that have not been in the US military something a little bit of an understanding as to who is who.

As I mentioned earlier anyone referring to an enemy as OPFOR on a non training battlefield needs to get their head in the game. In the US military that term is used for opposing forces in training exercises.

Constantly referring to rifles as "guns"

A bunch of little things here and there I can't remember at the moment, they mainly come up in the dialogue between higher command and the player (interesting how BN Commanders are giving orders directly to squad leaders ) Also the "humanizing" conversations between the soldiers during downtime is just full of things soldiers wouldn't be saying.
Most of that goes right over my head. If you wouldn't mind could you say a bit on how callsigns work, how the chain of command works, how radio comms are conducted and such? Just little things like that if you have the time and it doesn't break any security issues. Nothing encyclopaedic, just a few tips.

The campaign would be better if there had been more thought put into the characters. It's all this gung-ho 'let's get some scalps' attitude (like your Apache gunner and why is he Scottish?), there's little character development at all. In the OFP campaign David Armstrong and the rest of his squad were all different, worried about a possible WW3, scared about their first contact but gaining confidence when they won only for that to disappear when they were forced to retreat because of Soviet armour. It was the same for Troska in the Resistance campaign. He had experienced war and just wanted to enjoy his new life and when the Soviets came he tried to avoid fighting but fate roped him into it. OK it wasn't Oscar winning stuff but at least there were characters and they did develop over the course of the story.

Quote:
Mackie - I made a lot of missions and stuff with Flashpoint/Resistance, used all kinds of mods, I think my favorite one was some African setting where you were a mercenary company, and the campaign was dynamic, you started at an airfield got orders from your commander, chose who you wanted to take and how you would get to the area, go there, do the mission, come back and rest and get a new mission.
Was that Tonal? It was an African island which came with a bunch of units created by the famous (in the OFP community at least) Ballistic Addon Studios. The island was superb with a mix of desert urban and jungle clearly inspired by BHD and Tears of the Sun. It also came with a bunch of units and a backstory that included a CIA Factbook summary which was really detailed. The Tonal Defence Forces were a small army backed up by the use of mercenaries in the Tonali SF. That group also created some really nice Delta, Ranger and helicopter stuff that included working fast ropes.

The mission you describe was known as Dynamic Campaign. There was a lot of variants made using different units and islands. Great stuff.

Quote:
Good luck with it.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!