StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 02 Jun 10, 21:10
Sergeant Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
This was announced on AAN News website (the news service in the ArmA series) that BIS is using to provide a backdrop to the story like they did with the soldier blog in ArmA 1.
Those AAN news clips are great. I remember watching the ones for A2 when i was waiting for my copy to be shipped and even though they have a few typos and could be considered corny, it really helped set the scene.
Did you see the scrolling text on the latest one where it said: British Dragonmasters Defeated by Czech Bohemians in 1-sided route (rout)
I got a nice chuckle out of that one Wonder if any of the Codemasters folk have seen it yet..

Quote:
I would love to see a full British force in there but I have a feeling that if there is going to be it will only be a few things such as troops, a helicopter and some light vehicles.

BIS, however, have mentioned DLC in connection to OA and I would happily pay 10 for a British pack if it contained a substantial amount of units and perhaps a mini-campaign or a few missions. They could do the same for Australia as they already have the models made although they would require significant updates.
Yes it would be great to get some new factions to play with - This is actually the first time i've ever been excited by the possibility of DLC.
Aside from the announcement of planned DLC, all i've seen is speculation. Though i would say the first units to come would be British, considering the units are already available to the public via JCOVE there shouldn't be anything holding them back other than time constraints to get them updated as you said.
However, with other nations they may have to get permission to use the models, as they had to do with FLIR...

Either way i'm happy to throw them a bit of extra $$$ for some new content, and campaign/missions for the new units would be a great addition.
Old 03 Jun 10, 11:46
Brigadier General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
Those AAN news clips are great. I remember watching the ones for A2 when i was waiting for my copy to be shipped and even though they have a few typos and could be considered corny, it really helped set the scene.
Did you see the scrolling text on the latest one where it said: British Dragonmasters Defeated by Czech Bohemians in 1-sided route (rout)
I got a nice chuckle out of that one Wonder if any of the Codemasters folk have seen it yet..
Very sly!

I hope some of them take note of it. Dragon Rising is a prime example of how video games advertising needs some regulation; after all it turned out the complete opposite of what they said it would be and never corrected their potential customers. When people said they were going to complain otthers laughed and said 'it's only a video game'. In the grand scheme of things, yes, but would you say the same if your toaster only toasted one side of the slice of loaf when the advertising said it would toast it all? No, of course not, you would complain.

Quote:
Yes it would be great to get some new factions to play with - This is actually the first time i've ever been excited by the possibility of DLC.
Aside from the announcement of planned DLC, all i've seen is speculation. Though i would say the first units to come would be British, considering the units are already available to the public via JCOVE there shouldn't be anything holding them back other than time constraints to get them updated as you said.
However, with other nations they may have to get permission to use the models, as they had to do with FLIR...

Either way i'm happy to throw them a bit of extra $$$ for some new content, and campaign/missions for the new units would be a great addition.
Same here as long as the DLC is worth it. I hope they do not go the CA Total War route and release lots of DLC packs that contain about 3 units each.

The British units for JCOVE were developed by PUKF but I noticed in their thread on BIS forums that they said that as far as they know those aren't their models and that it looks like BIS have made their own. Perhaps some issued with taking them from VBS2? Who knows. But seeing as at least 50% of their fanbase is non-American it would be silly not to release nation specific DLC and not to tap into that market.
Old 07 Jun 10, 10:22
Sergeant Major
UK

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Pre-Orders are now available, not many sources but hopefully more will show up soon.
Not sure why it's not on steam yet, though judging from the link below it seems it's fairly certain that you can get it through steam eventually.

http://www.arma2.com/crossroad-sprocketbanner.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie
Dragon Rising is a prime example of how video games advertising needs some regulation
Very true, and don't get me started on faulty toasters..
I remember reading through the Codemasters forums and there were quite alot of people all posting in a topic discussing taking the matter to various consumer affairs type places that deal with this. It didn't seem to have had any impact, maybe the people just got sick of posting there, but i've not heard of any big case against CM unfortunately.
Hopefully word of mouth does enough damage to them and they'll stick to making console racing games and leave the mil-sims to the professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie
But seeing as at least 50% of their fanbase is non-American it would be silly not to release nation specific DLC and not to tap into that market.
Indeed, they could make alot of money just from people who want fight as their own nation.
Considering they've now included a few with the stock game, German, Czech etc.. maybe that's the plan, give us a few then get us requesting more.
Even if that isn't the plan i'd say that'll be the result.

Last edited by Nokturnal; 07 Jun 10 at 10:32..
Old 07 Jun 10, 14:57
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I wanted to pre-order from Amazon, but then I got confused...

What the hell is ARMA 2: Combined Operations?!
Old 07 Jun 10, 20:47
Sergeant Major
UK

Combined Operations contains both Operation Arrowhead and ArmA 2.
The only difference i've heard of is this version of A2 comes pre-patched to version 1.05.
Sponsored Links

Old 09 Jun 10, 11:05
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Ahhh....got it now.

Well, non of them will pre-order to Israel, which makes me wonder if someone will ever ship it here eventually.

I DON'T want to digital-download it, but if I'll have to...
Old 09 Jun 10, 21:08
Sergeant Major
UK

I'm with you on that one, never been a fan of digital download either.

The options are very limited, was it this bad with the release of A2? I got it a few months after release, so there were a few places stocking it at the time.
Even here in Australia, where BI have offices, there are no retailers offering pre-order, online or off. Granted the offices here aren't specifically for Arma, but you'd think they could atleast tell some of the retailers here to help out their fellow BI team.

I've been following the "where/how to buy OA" thread and the majority of the options are just for US/UK customers. This is meant to be a world-wide relase, but we are less than 3 weeks away and alot of people still haven't found an option for their country.

As for Israel though, you may be in luck - I found this site while looking for places that ship to Aus (and accept paypal)
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...n-70-3ufj.html
I'm not 100% certain, but i did go through a few of the checkout steps just to see the options, and Israel does appear in the list of countries when choosing where to ship to.

Though having said that, i also haven't got confirmation from one of the BI devs that play-asia is a legit retailer..
I remember the name, they've been around for some time so i wouldn't expect it to be fake or anything - But we've still got some time so hopefully there'll be confirmation (not to mention a few more options) before the 29th.
Old 27 Jun 10, 19:57
Sergeant Major
UK

Damn those lucky Germans...They've got their copies of OA already .

Which means there are alot of people posting pics/vids and their impression of the new release up at BI forums. If you can't stand the wait and want to see what we are waiting for head on over:
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=100949

Golani - Did you end up getting a copy pre-ordered?
Since my last post there have been a few more online stores being added to the "where to buy" list. So just incase, here are a couple more stores that will (according to their site) ship to Israel.

http://www.blahdvd.com/Games/ArmA-II...PC/product.htm

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSea...tion+Arrowhead

Last edited by Nokturnal; 27 Jun 10 at 20:16..
Old 28 Jun 10, 13:59
General of the Forums
Israel

Nothing so far.

The links in official OA page will sell only in their country...

How legit are the links you posted..? something about the bold pink background makes me dubious...
Old 28 Jun 10, 14:48
Brigadier General
Pirate

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
Nothing so far.

The links in official OA page will sell only in their country...

How legit are the links you posted..? something about the bold pink background makes me dubious...
HMV? Your safe with that as it's a retail giant here. I actually submitted an app for a Part Time job in their games section. Even though I am of 'exceptional quality' I am not good enough.

I'll have a look around though.
Old 28 Jun 10, 14:59
General of the Forums
Israel

I took you're word on it, but so far this is all I get from them (after completing half the order, until the part I choose "Israel")
Quote:
there has been a problem processing this request
Please use the refresh button on your browser to try again.

Thank you.
And it goes on and on...
Old 28 Jun 10, 15:01
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
I took you're word on it, but so far this is all I get from them (after completing half the order, until the part I choose "Israel")

And it goes on and on...
What browser do you use? It could be a browser issue.
Old 28 Jun 10, 15:24
General of the Forums
Israel

Chrome.

I'll try IE.
Old 28 Jun 10, 15:30
General of the Forums
Israel

Explorer has the same results...
Old 28 Jun 10, 15:55
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
Explorer has the same results...
You could always try another day to see if it works. They may be going through some technical stuff. They are definitely legit though. In fact they are the only high street retailer dedicated to entertainment stuff after Zavvi's stores were closed last year.

If you can't wait you could always go for blahdvd. I checked some web reviews and they have been on the go for a few years now. Most of the reviews rated them as average IIRC.

Actually Zavvi still has their online shop so you could try there:

http://help.zavvi.com/index.php?acti...=40&artlang=en

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms.../10207051.html
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!