StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 19 Apr 10, 04:50
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arrow ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead

Starting a thread dedicated to the upcoming installment in the ArmA series, ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead, which look really promising and set in an environment close to the current operations in Afghanistan.

Official site here:

http://www.arma2.com/arrowhead/arrowhead.html

Trailer:

Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 19 Apr 10, 05:33
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Does anyone know it's compatibility rate with ARMA2?

Are all the ARMA2 mods meant to be fully functional on Arrowhead?
Old 19 Apr 10, 05:45
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
What I don't really understand is that they say its gonna be a 'stand alone expansion pack', meaning you won't need to original ArmA 2 game, but then it why call it an expansion and not a full game in its own right?

Last edited by Boonierat; 19 Apr 10 at 11:33..
Old 19 Apr 10, 15:45
Brigadier General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
I can't remember what has been said exactly about compatibility with ArmA 2 (I don't think much has been said) but I think you can use ArmA 2 content in OA but they won't have the new features like FLIR.

If you have had a look around the official forums you will know about the preview version that was released to gaming websites and magazines. There are a lot of new pictures floating about and this video. I quite like this UAV.

Old 22 Apr 10, 10:50
Sergeant Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Nice to see this got stickied .
That video was great, can't wait to try out the new vehicles and also the new (well, more..) destructible environment.

Just read this on armaholic
Quote:
The official press release for ArmA 2 - Operation Arrowhead has been released!
Arma 2: Operation Arrohwead will be released on 29th June exclusively for PC.
The press release:

The important stuff:
Quote:
ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead features in full:

• New Playable Content: New story campaign for both single and multi-player gameplay. Wide range of new tutorials, single scenarios and multiplayer modes.
• Massive Game World: Three brand new Central Asia-style large maps including expansive urban, desert and mountainous terrain, featuring a fully destructible and interactive environment.
• Extra Units and Vehicles: Multiple factions for all sides including US Army, United Nations, Takistani Army and Guerrillas making a collection of 300+ new units, weapons and vehicles.
• Ultimate War Simulation Experience: Fully integrates with the original ARMA 2 for unmatched warfare simulation.
• Unique Gameplay Elements: Detachable backpacks with equipment, advanced weapon optics, material penetration modeling, remote real-time simulation of Unmanned Arial Vehicles (UAV), freedom of decision and repercussive actions.
Not sure what it says by "fully integrates" - Perhaps it means they have set it up so that if you install it onto a machine that currently has original A2 installed, it will act as an expansion pack. Rather than having two different install locations.

Either way...Can't wait!

Last edited by Nokturnal; 22 Apr 10 at 10:52..
Old 22 Apr 10, 10:57
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam

Good info Noktu looks like the campaign is gonna revolve around a BCT of the 82d Airborne Division.
Old 11 May 10, 20:56
Sergeant Major
UK

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Not really an update but i stumbled upon this the other day and thought others might find it interesting.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/A...ant_to_ask%29!

Just a few of the important (to me) details.

Quote:
# Night combat updated with laser markers, IR strobes and flashlight usage
# Improved weapon simulation (multiple optics modes, range finders, step based zoom)

Will it be possible to use the original ARMA 2 content combined with new OA content?
* Yes. Users that already have ARMA 2 installed will be offered an option to install OA into it and run it as a combined, never seen before size and experience.
The random town-generator module sounds like it will create some fun times too.
Can't wait to get this
Old 13 May 10, 05:44
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam

Here's a good preview of the game, even though its in German, Strykers are gonna be fun to drive :

Being able to damage the buildings is gonna be a real plus.
Old 14 May 10, 15:40
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
Looks good. But this time I don't buy upon release. Think I'll wait for it to be discounted on Steam. By then, most of the bugs should be gone.
Old 19 May 10, 00:39
Sergeant Major
UK

I see where you're coming from Scott, but with OA many of the bugs will have been dealt with previously in the 5 patches A2 has already received.
The engine has been updated, so of course there is the possibility of a few bugs, but it's building on the many fixes the patches addressed, so even upon release it should be much more playable than the original. Not to mention running alot faster with the new maps.

Also, i'm not entirely sure if it will be sold via Steam this time around. They announced that Meridian 4 got the rights to sell it in North America but i can't find anything stating whether it will/won't be sold via Steam so you might be in luck.

Here are some more clips, though by now we have seen everything they're willing to show us before it's release...

New Features Interview
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ne...arma-ii/100304

New Mechanics Walkthrough 1, 2 and 3
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ne...arma-ii/100298
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ne...arma-ii/100296
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ne...arma-ii/100294
Sponsored Links

Old 19 May 10, 07:01
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I always buy ARMA (unfortunately also OFP) at release or in pre-order (almost always regret it too...) and I'm sure I'll do the same here...alas, if it'll be using steam I'd seriously consider avoiding it.

I HATE steam.
Old 19 May 10, 19:32
Sergeant Major
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
I HATE steam.
Don't worry mate, it'll never be a steam-only game - There should be many stores (online and local) selling the physical game, and probably a few selling a digital download also.

I waited a while before picking up A2, but with OA i'll take the risk and buy it on release, regardless of price. I've gotten so many hours of enjoyment out of the game they deserve more money.
Old 20 May 10, 08:11
Lieutenant Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
I always buy ARMA (unfortunately also OFP) at release or in pre-order (almost always regret it too...) and I'm sure I'll do the same here...alas, if it'll be using steam I'd seriously consider avoiding it.
I HATE steam.

I had to install STEAM when I bought Empire Total War and the game ran okay.
But later I gave the game to my friend but he couldn't get it to install because it was still registered to me on STEAM.
I tried to transfer my STEAM account to him but didn't know how. The game can therefore only be played by me on my computer, and nobody else.
So I too don't like STEAM!
Old 20 May 10, 10:40
Brigadier General
Pirate

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
I had to install STEAM when I bought Empire Total War and the game ran okay.
But later I gave the game to my friend but he couldn't get it to install because it was still registered to me on STEAM.
I tried to transfer my STEAM account to him but didn't know how. The game can therefore only be played by me on my computer, and nobody else.
So I too don't like STEAM!
The game is tied to your account and your account only. You can install Steam on multiple computers and thus access your account and games.

All your mate needed was Steam, your account name and password. After that he could change the password to whatever he wanted, use his own credit card details and the account would be his. You can have any user name you want in Steam (and can change it) but the account name cannot be changed.

Anyway, as Nokturnal says it will never be a Steam only game. BIS wouldn't do that.
Old 01 Jun 10, 11:35
Brigadier General
Pirate

British Forces !?!

I don't know if you guys have been following the official forums but it looks like we are getting British forces and Private Contractors with OA.

This was announced on AAN News website (the news service in the ArmA series) that BIS is using to provide a backdrop to the story like they did with the soldier blog in ArmA 1.

There are a lot of articles on the site dealing with the story of Takistan, Karzeghistan and Chernarus.

You can see the picture of British troops in this article:

http://www.aan-online.com/en/europe/...s-in-2010.html

I would love to see a full British force in there but I have a feeling that if there is going to be it will only be a few things such as troops, a helicopter and some light vehicles.

BIS, however, have mentioned DLC in connection to OA and I would happily pay £10 for a British pack if it contained a substantial amount of units and perhaps a mini-campaign or a few missions. They could do the same for Australia as they already have the models made although they would require significant updates.

AAN News also released a video where you can see the Private Contractors in their SUVs.

Last edited by Mackie; 01 Jun 10 at 11:42..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!