HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 12 Apr 10, 02:24
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Question Italian Paras during Market Garden?

"Those paras were probably from Nembo Division. A full regiment of Nembo went over to the Germans. Most of them ended up as the cadre for the 14th Falschirm., however, at least one parachute recce company (if memory serves, also from Nembo) ended up with the 2nd Falschirm. at Market Garden. They were equipped with Italian recon vehicles but wore German uniforms."

Someone in another forum brought this up. Is this true and is there some more information on this? Robert

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=150782

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 12 Apr 10, 02:29
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Thumbs up

It's absolute cobblers.
Old 12 Apr 10, 02:35
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100] JCFalkenbergIII has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Another similar reference to it. Robert

"The first new unit to be formed was the Italian Parachutists Volunteers Group, formed by elements of the ADRA, 10th Arditi Rgt, 17th, 18th and 20th "Ciclone" Battalions, 12th and 8th "Nembo" Battalions and a replacement unit of the "Nembo" then training at Viterbo. Renamed Parachutist Group "Nembo", the unit was assigned to the 2nd Fallschirjaeger Div. One company of the 10th Arditi Rgt entered too in the 2nd FJ as its reconnaissance units, and followed this German Division in Russia and then in Holland, where it fought in the Market Garden operation"

http://warandgame.blogspot.com/2008/...oop-units.html

And,

" But i clearly remenber quotes from Nino Arena book..this guy, that i interviewd years ago here in Rome…while having been himself a parachutist and fought with RSI forces is the semiofficial and must appreciated Italian historian on both Folgore and RSI armed forces. In one of his books he mentioned Arnhem and also published a pict of a Sahariana car with 20mm HMG and para crew. Same info are mentioned in the multivolume "Gli ultimi in grigio verde"by Pisanò..another semiofficial history of RSI forces."

And this too from Basco Grigioverde: I ragazzi che riscattarono l'Onore,

"assigned to 2° Btn Combat Engineers (Major Gestner) they fought in Ukraine near Nowgerodka, Jitomir, Baranivka where cpt Paolo Paris (Gold medal for military valor) died whit several other Arditi. The few survivors will fight against british paratroopers in Arnhem on september 1944..."

http://bascogrigioverde.blogspot.com...no-lonore.html

Last edited by JCFalkenbergIII; 12 Apr 10 at 02:45..
Old 12 Apr 10, 05:46
General of the Forums
EU
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Full Monty has disabled reputation
They were never at Arnhem. Although the records on the German side are incomplete there is no indication of 2nd FJ being deployed there. Some Italians could, I suppose, have been 'snatched' by the Germans (as they did with quite a few soldiers) and parceled out to various ad hoc formations as needed. No OOB lists 2nd FJ as being involved in any part of the campaign I'm afraid.
Old 12 Apr 10, 12:31
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Another source mentioned. Robert

"Nino Arena - Per l'onore d'Italia, Storia del Rgt. Arditi paracadutisti Folgore della R.S.I. (whit also photos!)
Nino Arena - i Paracadutisti
Italian Army historic office - Studi Storico Militari 1986

Well, the X° rgt Arditi paracadutisti joined 2nd Falshirmjager division after 8th september and operate as recon unit fighting in Ukraine and Netherlands, using SPA jeep."
Old 12 Apr 10, 18:54
General of the Forums
EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFalkenbergIII View Post
Another source mentioned. Robert

"Nino Arena - Per l'onore d'Italia, Storia del Rgt. Arditi paracadutisti Folgore della R.S.I. (whit also photos!)
Nino Arena - i Paracadutisti
Italian Army historic office - Studi Storico Militari 1986

Well, the X° rgt Arditi paracadutisti joined 2nd Falshirmjager division after 8th september and operate as recon unit fighting in Ukraine and Netherlands, using SPA jeep."
That would almost settle it I think. 'Market-Garden' started on 17th September and there is no way that 2nd FJ would have been transferred West and deployed to The Netherlands in time to join the fighting. They may, as part of 1st Parachute Army, have fought in the Arnhem vicinity before the war finished but not against the British and/or Americans during Market-Garden
Old 12 Apr 10, 23:59
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Monty View Post
That would almost settle it I think. 'Market-Garden' started on 17th September and there is no way that 2nd FJ would have been transferred West and deployed to The Netherlands in time to join the fighting. They may, as part of 1st Parachute Army, have fought in the Arnhem vicinity before the war finished but not against the British and/or Americans during Market-Garden
IIRC the new 2nd FJ division began reforming in Amersfoort in the Netherlands by September of 1944. Perhaps that was the 2nd FJ that is mentioned? Robert
Old 13 Apr 10, 06:38
General of the Forums
EU

Quote:
IIRC the new 2nd FJ division began reforming in Amersfoort in the Netherlands by September of 1944. Perhaps that was the 2nd FJ that is mentioned? Robert
Could be. 1st Parachute Army was forming at that time in The Netherlands. But the divisions that were coming under its command largely existed on paper only, much like the Army.
Old 13 Apr 10, 12:44
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Could be. 1st Parachute Army was forming at that time in The Netherlands. But the divisions that were coming under its command largely existed on paper only, much like the Army.
True . I wish I could get a hold of some of the books that were used as sources for the statements. Since the 2nd FJ was being reformed there I would think the Italians would have been welcomed. Robert
Old 13 Apr 10, 18:29
General of the Forums
EU

Quote:
True . I wish I could get a hold of some of the books that were used as sources for the statements. Since the 2nd FJ was being reformed there I would think the Italians would have been welcomed. Robert
Quite possibly. It has to be said that 2nd FJ Division had a pretty chequered career. This little site covers it briefly but it makes us none the wiser as to where the Italians might have served.

http://www.ww2.dk/ground/fallschirm/2fjd.htm

Old 14 Apr 10, 02:36
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Quite possibly. It has to be said that 2nd FJ Division had a pretty chequered career. This little site covers it briefly but it makes us none the wiser as to where the Italians might have served.

http://www.ww2.dk/ground/fallschirm/2fjd.htm
"The order for reactivation was issued on 24.9.44 (to be completed 1.11.44), and all remnants of the old division were united in Amersfoort, Holland."

Perhaps some of the remnants could have been Italian. Robert
Old 14 Apr 10, 08:51
General of the Forums
EU

Quote:
"The order for reactivation was issued on 24.9.44 (to be completed 1.11.44), and all remnants of the old division were united in Amersfoort, Holland."

Perhaps some of the remnants could have been Italian. Robert
They could indeed, although the reactivation comes too late for Market Garden.

Rather confusingly, Von der Heydte's 6th FJ Regiment, a key element of KG Walther fighting in the corridor between Eindhoven and Nijmegen, was part of 2nd FJ Division until the division was effectively destroyed at Falaise.
Old 14 Apr 10, 17:02
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Looks like it will be just another mysteries of the war. Robert

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!