StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 30 Mar 10, 12:18
Private
Israel

Spike78 is on the path to success [1-99]
Where is the LZ Tiger/Tiger Mountain at Ashau?

I'm planning to visit Ashau valley in June to climb Hamburger hill, Tiger Mountain and may be RRS Hickory. But I don't have exact location of LZ Tiger.
I know it is in the northen end of Ashau valley. I have two different locations from that source: http://www.landscaper.net/firebase.htm
Tiger Mountain YD 239118
Tiger YD 282086
Trying to Google map it seems to me it's inaccurately.
Can someone confirm the location of Tiger Mountain in red circle?

Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 30 Mar 10, 12:40
Marshal of ACG - XO
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I have two different coords as well, in Where We Were In Vietnam:

-Tiger Mountain (Hill 1228/Co A Nong); 239-118
-LZ/FSB TIGER: 253-091

As per this map, the summit appears to be at 253-091:

Old 30 Mar 10, 15:03
Corporal
United_States

Half Moon is on the path to success [1-99] Half Moon is on the path to success [1-99]
Spike78 what are the LatLong of the google map you posted?

I keyed in on a 1100+ hill just NW of Ale Lock that looks like it fits the topos you and Boonierat posted, but the Google images don't look at all like the one I got. My LatLongs are : 16.30177,107.171717
Old 30 Mar 10, 18:52
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
How about posting how to figure out lat,longs from military Coords, or (other than purchasing a book/publication) give idea as to where one might find the solution.

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.
Old 30 Mar 10, 19:51
Corporal
United_States

Half Moon is on the path to success [1-99] Half Moon is on the path to success [1-99]
I went here Ken:

http://www.humanitarianinfo.org/IMTo...PConverter.Htm

Appearantly there is a lot of math and formulas to it.

(edit to add) Somewhere along the line I've been to several sites and I'm confused as to where I got what info. I need to backtrack a bot and see if I messed up somewhere.

Last edited by Half Moon; 30 Mar 10 at 19:55..
Old 31 Mar 10, 02:22
Private
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
Spike78 what are the LatLong of the google map you posted?

I keyed in on a 1100+ hill just NW of Ale Lock that looks like it fits the topos you and Boonierat posted, but the Google images don't look at all like the one I got. My LatLongs are : 16.30177,107.171717
My LatLong are:
Tiger Mountain YD 239118 - 1622'37.40"N 107 5'46.60"E
LZ Tiger YD 282086 - 1620'51.90"N 107 8'10.30"E
I use Garmin MapSource programm to convert MGRS to LatLong.
Old 31 Mar 10, 23:33
Corporal
United_States

Okay, using your LatLong it looks like the map Boonie posted is correct. The red circle on the left is Ca A Nong the same hill as Boonie's map. The red circle on the right is were your LatLong point too.

Presumably, the left circle would most likely be Tiger Mtn and the right circle the LZ. Assuming this solution is militarily sound.

So I spent two days noodling to come up with the same place as Boonie in the first reply. How's that for efficient, lol.
Old 02 Apr 10, 03:49
Marshal of ACG - XO
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Why this interest for LZ TIGER Spike? where you there during the war?
Old 02 Apr 10, 08:07
Private
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
Why this interest for LZ TIGER Spike? where you there during the war?
During the war I was in plans of my mam and dad
As for LZ Tiger. Nothing special.
When I will be in Ashau valley I'd like to see as many LZ's and FSB's as possible. I did'n have the exact location so I called for confirm.
Old 07 Apr 10, 01:33
Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TRU is on the path to success [1-99] TRU is on the path to success [1-99] TRU is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike78 View Post
During the war I was in plans of my mam and dad
As for LZ Tiger. Nothing special.
When I will be in Ashau valley I'd like to see as many LZ's and FSB's as possible. I did'n have the exact location so I called for confirm.
I'm afraid you might be disappointed if you expect to find much at these sites. Anything metal that might have been left was scrounged long ago. Totally overgrown with vegetation. AND there may still be live ordnance in what was the perimeter if you are able to get that close. Even though most of this has been "mined" by the local Vietnamese for the explosives and the steel there are still many sites that are very dangerous.

The bigger sites that might have had a runway might still have part of that existing. We went through Duc Co on the way to investigate a case in 1993 and only knew we were there because the road was suddenly real good and real wide.

TRU
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!