HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks

Notices and Announcements

The Barracks For stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Members can retire from the serious discussions elsewhere on the forums...and relax here.

Old 06 Mar 10, 17:11
Recruit
United_States

Iron Knight 281 is a balanced individual [0]
What is a CWT Truck

Hello I was looking at some british TO&E and came across something called a 15 cwt truck and I was trying to find out what a cwt truck was and what cwt stood for.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 06 Mar 10, 17:39
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Just Googling UK Military 15 CWT truck I find this in Wikki:

I
Quote:
n 1935, Bedford began the development of a 15 cwt truck for the British War Office. This entered service as the MW in 1939, and 65,995 examples had been built by the end of World War II in 1945. The MW appeared in a bewildering range of roles, as a water tanker, general duties truck, personnel carrier, petrol tanker, wireless truck and Anti-Aircraft gun tractor - among others.
I would guess that it's either the classification, something with Weight\tons of the load or the vehicle itself.

I know in the US Military vehicles were often called by a weight classification, i.e. a 2.5 ton Truck, "Duce and a half". Our standard squad carrier in the Engineer's was a 'Five Ton' truck....
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. - Gen J. D. Ripper
Old 06 Mar 10, 17:40
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Combat Engineer has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
This could be your answer:

http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/transport-15cwt.htm

Quote:
The use of the 15-CWT truck stemmed from the increased mobilisation of the army in the 1930s. The bulk of the subject material in this page comes from the 1939 version of the Small Arms Training Vol. I, Pamphlet No. 7. The .303-inch Machine Gun. Part II - Training. It may be worth pointing out that by the 1941 publication of the same manual, the detail on the 15-cwt truck had been replaced by the Universal Carrier (dealt with on a separate page of the site)
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. - Gen J. D. Ripper
Old 06 Mar 10, 22:55
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
15 CWT was the load capacity. Its like calling a truck a "2 ton". It was produced by Morris, and looks like this:

It was one of the more common (If not the most common) British trucks of WWII.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 07 Mar 10, 06:53
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I did a quick search last night and didn't find anything.But common sense tells me it means "carrying weight tons" or something similar.

"People like Obama are in charge because Civilization is dying... they are nothing but the harbingers of death." ---The Exorcist
Old 07 Mar 10, 07:20
Sergeant
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

pball is on the path to success [1-99]
cwt means hundredweight c from latin...century. 1 cwt = 112 pounds ... see wikikpedia for further details, therefore 15cwt carries 1680 pounds
Old 07 Mar 10, 08:11
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pball View Post
cwt means hundredweight c from latin...century. 1 cwt = 112 pounds ... see wikikpedia for further details, therefore 15cwt carries 1680 pounds
Thank you!

"People like Obama are in charge because Civilization is dying... they are nothing but the harbingers of death." ---The Exorcist
Old 08 Mar 10, 15:33
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
I've heard it termed counterweight. Doesn't appear to be correct though.
It's sad, that the rest of ACG effectively does NOT exist, I won't post on it, and some of the remarks in Politics by some of the members truly does influence my opinions on some of the membership. and it's not a favourable impression.
Old 08 Mar 10, 21:36
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by les Brains View Post
I've heard it termed counterweight. Doesn't appear to be correct though.
No mate, definately Hundredwright, very useful little truck the old 15!!

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!