StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 19 Mar 10, 06:39
Brigadier General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
I finished it but I had some problem with the briefing.

In ArmA and OFP the briefing was a .html file while in ArmA 2 they changed it to a .sqf file and I haven't got the hang of it yet.

I have to head off in about 20 mins but when I get back I will try and fix the briefing and get it uploaded.
Old 19 Mar 10, 08:55
Colonel
Australia

globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200]
Nice. Which site do you upload to, Mackie?

I'm getting my feet wet with the editor, normally I wouldn't bother but ArmA2 is too good to ignore. I need to know how to add vehicles to a faction - I had an idea for a linked campaign on Duala Island representing a war between the two African countries (Afrenia & Molatia). I was planning on equipping both armies with a variety of older Soviet & European vehicles & weaponry.

I'll pm you with my idea for the campaign. I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.
Old 19 Mar 10, 12:30
Brigadier General
Pirate

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
Nice. Which site do you upload to, Mackie?

I'm getting my feet wet with the editor, normally I wouldn't bother but ArmA2 is too good to ignore. I need to know how to add vehicles to a faction - I had an idea for a linked campaign on Duala Island representing a war between the two African countries (Afrenia & Molatia). I was planning on equipping both armies with a variety of older Soviet & European vehicles & weaponry.
No problem.

Place down an empty vehicle of your choosing, I will use a tank as an example, and name it et1 (enemy tank 1) then place down three crew members and name each one etc1 (enemy tank crew 1), etc2, etc3.

In the init field of a unit type in:

Code:
etc1 moveInCommander et1; etc2 moveInDriver et1; etc3 moveInGunner et1;
If you wanted to move a unit as a passenger in a vehicle you would use moveInCargo instead. If you wanted a whole group to move in cargo their is another piece of code you would use for that.

Now you're thinking, "great but doing that over and over will be a pain". You are right. If you wanted three Molation tanks just simply highlight the group, press ctrl-c and then ctr-v at different pl;aces on the map. You will still have to add the info in the init line of a unit.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4847

This editing guide is for ArmA but 99% of it is applicable to ArmA 2 and it is really comprehensive. It explains the basics and then goes on to more complex stuff.

Quote:
I'll pm you with my idea for the campaign. I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.
Great!
Old 19 Mar 10, 13:00
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
When you say "name the unit etc1", where should this be done?

Same for the "move in" command, where's that?

And while we're at it, you can probably tell us how to edit a unit to start with a different weapon. right?
Old 19 Mar 10, 13:47
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post

And while we're at it, you can probably tell us how to edit a unit to start with a different weapon. right?
Speaking of commands and stuff, in ArmA 2, is the AI response still like "1. Is. Down."?

--Hávamál
Old 19 Mar 10, 14:36
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:

When you place a unit in the editor you will see loads of stuff like Azimuth and sliders for things like fuel and ammo. There will be a box with "Name" next to it; just type et1 in there, for example.

The moveIn command goes in the "initialization line" which will be below the "Name" field.

To change the loadout of a unit name it, for example p1, find the classname for that weapon, find the classname for the weapon(s) you want and the classname for its ammo and then type this in the units init field:
Code:
remove allWeapons p1; p1 addMagazine "30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD"; p1 addMagazine "30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD"; p1 addMagazine "30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD"; p1 addMagazine "30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD"; p1 addWeapon "M4A1SD";
The first command I used above (allWeapons) removes everything from the soldier. You will have to add things like binoculars, GPS, NV etc. again.

Code:
p1 addWeapon "Binocular"; p1 addWeapon "NVGoggles"; p1 addWeapon "ItemCompass"; p1 addWeapon "ItemGPS"; p1 addWeapon "ItemMap"; p1 addWeapon "ItemRadio"; p1 addWeapon "ItemWatch";
With ArmA 2 they made the map, GPS, Radio, everything that came standard with a unit in OFP and ArmA as items you can add or remove in your gear menu.

You can find ArmA 2 weapon classnames here:

http://www.ofpec.com/COMREF/index.ph...on=read&id=210

If that code doesn't work let me know.
Old 19 Mar 10, 18:36
Brigadier General
Pirate

USMC Rifle Platoon: Eschede Assault

Alright lads here is the mission. I haven't played it all the way through so I don't know if it will be easy or hard. I'll be relying on you lot to tell me so I can make the necessary adjustments.

Mission:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RKE59CJO

Required Addons:

Celle - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9448

Recommended:

Zeus AI - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=89970

You don't have to use this but I always play with Zeus AI. It will work without it but I don't know how it will play out. Feel to try it without, I would like to know how it plays.
Old 20 Mar 10, 06:41
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Delivers as always.

Couple of quick questions-

1. I start up with only 2 other team members, where's the rest of the platoon?

2. Does the Zeus AI make the AI stronger or weaker?
Old 20 Mar 10, 07:20
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
Delivers as always.

Couple of quick questions-

1. I start up with only 2 other team members, where's the rest of the platoon?

2. Does the Zeus AI make the AI stronger or weaker?
1. Press ctrl-space bar to bring up the High Command. You might want to do the try the tutorial for HC.

2. It makes the AI a bit more intelligent. They have longer engagement distances, use smoke and frag grenades more effectively (never seen them use a smoke though), snipers become more of a threat, accuracy has been tweaked so engagements last longer.

First of all you need to change some settings in your profile.

Go to Documents -> ArmA 2 and open the name.ArmA2Profile.

Look for the difficulty you play under. I used heavily modified Regular difficulty. Find these settings:

skillFriendly=xxxxxx;
skillEnemy=xxxxxx;
precisionFriendly=xx;
precisionEnemy=xx;

Change the default numbers to these values:

skillFriendly=0.89999998;
skillEnemy=0.89999998;
precisionFriendly=0.5;
precisionEnemy=0.2;

These are my settings for "Regular" difficulty:

class regular
{
class Flags
{
Armor=0;
FriendlyTag=0;
EnemyTag=0;
HUD=0;
HUDPerm=0;
HUDWp=0;
HUDWpPerm=0;
HUDGroupInfo=0;
AutoSpot=0;
Map=0;
WeaponCursor=1;
AutoGuideAT=0;
ClockIndicator=0;
3rdPersonView=1;
UltraAI=0;
AutoAim=0;
UnlimitedSaves=1;
DeathMessages=1;
NetStats=1;
VonID=1;

It's the only difficulty where you can modify any of the settings to your liking. It gets rid of features I found annoying and "gamey" while leaving in stuff I considered important like 3rd Person to pass time in chopper flights and long tabs by admiring the artwork and the crosshair so I can have an idea where my rounds are going to go. I use an addon that makes the crosshair bigger but not intrusive so I won't be making accurate shots.

Quote:
- Improves AI's ability to spot and engage enemy, extending engagement ranges
out to 500m and beyond
- Changes the speed at which an AI can get a bead on a target
- The AI now reacts to effective enemy fire, before taking casualties
- Accuracy is changed to ensure sustained firefights take place, allowing
movement under contact with good use of cover. Ammunition dispersion and
weapon accuracy are not changed
- AI use smoke and frag. Be aware of your enemy's ability to throw frags!
- AI hearing ability is reduced to realistic levels, enabling a player to make
stealthy close quarter approaches providing he can remain unseen
- Vehicle gunners now react to enemy fire
- Building on the native game feature, AI characters have varying ability to
spot enemy according to role. This is to represent equipment and training
variation, e.g. Observers, Snipers and Officers with Binoculars have greater
ability to detect enemy
- Sniper teams that make effective use of tactics, cover & concealment can now
carry out their mission, especially at extended engagement ranges
- Careful movement and correct use of formation is now an important factor in
improving a soldiers survivability, as are planned ingress and egress routes
- AI react more aggressively under contact and don't give up as easily
- Injuries occur more frequently in firefights. Good drills and wise medics are
now an essential part of the game
Old 21 Mar 10, 20:01
Sergeant Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
Alright lads here is the mission. I haven't played it all the way through so I don't know if it will be easy or hard. I'll be relying on you lot to tell me so I can make the necessary adjustments.

Mission:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RKE59CJO

Required Addons:

Celle - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9448

Recommended:

Zeus AI - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=89970

You don't have to use this but I always play with Zeus AI. It will work without it but I don't know how it will play out. Feel to try it without, I would like to know how it plays.
Wow it's here! Will deffinately give this a look when i get home tonight.
Good to see someone already making use of Celle, it's an impressive island.

I'm not a big fan of using HC but provided i don't have to continiously give orders it shouldn't be a hassle. I've played a few missions that require it and i seem to do alright, but seeing as you've not finished it yourself maybe i shouldn't expect to survive?

One question though..
Weren't we waiting for a VBS2 Lite mission? Or were you making one in each?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4
Speaking of commands and stuff, in ArmA 2, is the AI response still like "1. Is. Down."?
Unfortunately, yes...It was one of the first things i edited when i started playing, just couldn't put up with that crap.
"Enemy. Man. Far. Right."
"Move. 50 Metres. Left."

It gets even worse when you put them into stealth/danger mode because they feel it necessary to discuss everything multiple times.
"Go"
"Go"
"I'm covering"
"Go"
"Engaging"
"Go"....ugh
That's even when there is no enemy..Who are they engaging?!

Small price to pay for such a great game, but you really think they'd take a look at improving that after all this time and all the complaints.
Sponsored Links

Old 22 Mar 10, 00:28
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post

I'm not a big fan of using HC but provided i don't have to continiously give orders it shouldn't be a hassle. I've played a few missions that require it and i seem to do alright, but seeing as you've not finished it yourself maybe i shouldn't expect to survive?

One question though..

Unfortunately, yes...It was one of the first things i edited when i started playing, just couldn't put up with that crap.
"Enemy. Man. Far. Right."
"Move. 50 Metres. Left."

It gets even worse when you put them into stealth/danger mode because they feel it necessary to discuss everything multiple times.
"Go"
"Go"
"I'm covering"
"Go"
"Engaging"
"Go"....ugh
That's even when there is no enemy..Who are they engaging?!

Small price to pay for such a great game, but you really think they'd take a look at improving that after all this time and all the complaints.
Yeah...AI response/speech is such a menial thing if you look at it-all free to play FPS games, where the developers don't get as much money, have solid AI/player response.

From Combat Arms, "free to play" FPS:

[IGN]"Cover me!"
[Other player]"Roger that!"
[IGN]"****, I don't want to die!" <-----
[Other player]"COWARD!"

Anyways, I just recently got America's Army 3 off Steam this weekend-great game-graphics not as good, but hey, where would you rather the Army's money go? Towards better troops or spending thousands on good graphics on their own video game? Radio commands are perfect, not. ArmA. style.

--Hávamál
Old 24 Mar 10, 07:58
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:

I completed but I don't know how many casualties I took. I didn't find it too hard to be honest so in the next version I'll make some changes. I will probably remove the missiles on the UAV and just keep it as a recon asset.

Let me know how you get on. Commanding the troops isn't overwhelming if you take your time and use them right.

Quote:
One question though..
Yes, I still have but I am not satisfied with the way it turned out. Urban combat has me really missing the micro AI from ArmA 2.
Old 29 Mar 10, 22:19
Sergeant Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
I completed but I don't know how many casualties I took. I didn't find it too hard to be honest so in the next version I'll make some changes. I will probably remove the missiles on the UAV and just keep it as a recon asset.

Let me know how you get on. Commanding the troops isn't overwhelming if you take your time and use them right.
I finally gave it a go lastnight, nice work mate - Great detail put into the mission briefing, some missions i've downloaded struggle to even explain the tasks properly.
I too found it a bit easy, maybe there was just too many friendly units?

There was a couple of issues with my AI and the enemy AI, however i wasn't using Zeus AI so i may download that and give it another play through to see if it fixes these. For example, when i first started i jumped in a vehicle with my squad mates, drove a bit and then jumped out. After jumping out, they refused to regroup and follow me and instead stayed at the vehicle. I re-started and ignored the vehicles after that.
I'm not sure if this is tied to the not using Zeus issue, but my artillery was not able to be used. When i selected it, either via the radio (0-0-1) or the radio from the map, i was given no option to select a location. All that occured was a message popping up in the top right displaying my possible support (artillery/mortar barrage).

Anyway, here's a very brief AAR:

Even considering the issues with the AI (which are probably resolved with Zeus) it was a quick and fun mission with some engagements at a distance and a bit of CQB when in the towns.
Cheers for the mission When i play through again i'll let ya know how i go.
Old 30 Mar 10, 11:31
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
I finally gave it a go lastnight, nice work mate - Great detail put into the mission briefing, some missions i've downloaded struggle to even explain the tasks properly.
I too found it a bit easy, maybe there was just too many friendly units?
Aye, could be. I'll either take a friendly squad away or add more enemy, probably the latter. How was it FPS wise?

Quote:
There was a couple of issues with my AI and the enemy AI, however i wasn't using Zeus AI so i may download that and give it another play through to see if it fixes these. For example, when i first started i jumped in a vehicle with my squad mates, drove a bit and then jumped out. After jumping out, they refused to regroup and follow me and instead stayed at the vehicle. I re-started and ignored the vehicles after that.
I'm not sure if this is tied to the not using Zeus issue, but my artillery was not able to be used. When i selected it, either via the radio (0-0-1) or the radio from the map, i was given no option to select a location. All that occured was a message popping up in the top right displaying my possible support (artillery/mortar barrage).
I don't know if that is a (lack of) Zeus problem or not. Zeus AI, as far as I am aware, just modifies config values and isn't script based like GL4. You could try disengaging your two AI buddies, setting their behaviour to safe and order them back to formation.

To access the mortar section press 0-0-1. Then press 0 and the menu should have Communication listed, select that and then select request artillery.

Quote:
Cheers for the mission When i play through again i'll let ya know how i go.
Thanks for trying it!
Old 31 Mar 10, 12:40
Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

oldmgunner is on the path to success [1-99]
(Nokturnal - 2002 - Virtual Battlespace Systems 1 is released to various military organisations (USMC, ADF, IDF etc..) and with their help alot more work was put into the game, changes made and features improved. It was re-released numerous times to those organisations in the form of updates.)

This was also about the time that the US Army started using Darwars Ambush which was a stripped down VBS1. very buggy and not very user friendly. It's major accomplishment was to open the door for VBS2.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!