StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 14 Mar 10, 14:55
Brigadier General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
Well, I've been playing ArmA (main campaign) and I have to say that it DOESN'T belong in the simulations thread. It's a FPS game. Very disappointed. I was hoping that I would be leading a fire team or squad into some sort of meaningful exercise in small unit actions, but instead I find myself playing "fetch and carry" - go here, go there. do this, do that, fly this, etc etc etc.

I hate scripted games. They bore me.
I wouldn't say ArmA is an FPS like COD4 but yeah, you're technically right. What it's good at is giving a reasonable simulation of combined arms and small unit actions. I have set up realistic scenarios from ranging from section to company size. With ArmA you need to learn the mission editor if you want to get anything out of it as this is where most of the experience lies along with mods and addons. What it boils down to is that the more effort you put into ArmA the more you will get out of it.

I urge you to give it another shot as it is a game that is pushing boundaries. COD4 and BFBC2 are not innovative or realistic. I have put this little guide up to get you started but if it isn't your cup of tea then fair enough.

Getting Started: Mods, Addons and Mod Folders

First of all, learn how to install mods and the way they work, it will make life so much easier.

Mod Folder Guide

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Modfolders

Don't bother fiddling about with the shortcut method, use a launcher for the game.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=81060

Commanding the AI

Learn how to command the AI. I would not command more than 12 soldiers as any more becomes too unwieldy. Split them into teams and keep your medic and Radio Operator (if you or a script adds/has one) by your side. Let the AI do the fighting if your in command of any unit above section level.

Watch these videos as a guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFqEgq64oss

ArmA Tactics Techniques and Procedures Guide (TTP):

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

A guide from ACG, although it contains some unnecessary information:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...i_primer_r.pdf

Mission Editing

Visit www.ofpec.com for mission editing advice. Furthermore, read this tutorial. It was made for ArmA but most of the stuff is the same apart from the class names and some other small things I am probably overlooking.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4847

Essentials

CBA

This addon allows different mods (mods that change mechanics and fundamental aspects of the game) to be compatible with each other. It also has other functional uses that I don't really understand.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...&highlight=cba

GUI Pack

This pack provides a more (IMO) realistic FOV for being in vehicles and on foot. Otherwise it feels like your head is glued to the windscreen.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5908

SAP Clutter

I find the grass in ArmA 2 to be too high and dense. This addon changes that.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6042

SDP Cannon Fix

Fixes a small problem with guns with multiple barrels.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5928

Sound and Effects Mods

Choose a sound mod of your liking

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=a2_addon_sound

AI Mods

Zeus AI

Download this small mod to get a better gaming experience with more aware and realistic AI. Remember, at the end of the day it is just AI and they can only be smart to some extent, especially when you take the many different situations it has to handle in ArmA 2 into account.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...highlight=zeus

Mods

Advanced Combat Environment

This mod adds and changes so many things from the AI to weapons. If you use this I suggest you use the Zeus AI mod for it.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...highlight=zeus

It has an odd method of distribution fi you want the mod kept up to date and patched. I would use their updater method.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96371

Group Link 4 Special FX Edition

This mod introduces a lot of great AI changes which you will have to disable if you want to use Zeus AI but IIRC it only disables one AI change. It also comes with a whole host of other cool FX effects and a special high command mode.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=92269

Project Reality

PR of BF2 fame which I am sure you have heard of. It is currently in development so information is sketchy but it looks like it focuses on MP PvP. I would still check it out as it comes with a lot of British Army kit and a great Afghanistan map.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96505

Useful Sites

First of all, join, browse and participate in the official forums.

http://forums.bistudio.com/index.php

These community sites let you download missions, mods, addons and scripts:

www.armaholic.com

www.armedassult.info

I might post a small guide about scripts later. If you have any problems let me know.
Old 14 Mar 10, 15:41
Lieutenant Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Incidentally, when commanding an AI squad against the computer in Armed Assault 1, there's no available order to make your guys area-fire, which is a serious omission.
In real life, area-fire is used regularly to blast suspected enemy positions in buildings and trees etc when the enemy can't be seen.
Old 14 Mar 10, 18:07
Colonel
Australia

globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Why are you talking about movies...here chap?
No, it's analogies I'm using. It's billed (ArmA) as "the most realistic warfare package ever seen on a computer" (BI's words, not mine). Only that the campaign is pretty much like every other role-playing FPS that was ever released.

I was expecting to lead a squad. I don't - I run around shooting stuff like every other FPS.

>>Mackie: thanks for the threads. I will give it another try, but so far it's pretty ridic. I am using the mission editor but some very strange things happen when I test run it - vehicle crews bail out and run around, things like that. I also don't see the point of creating missions for myself because I know how many bad guys there are, and where they are. Kinda dull.

What would have been nice was a random mission generator that would have added to it's replayability.

I tried ACE but it seemed to me to be more of a difficulty tweak - I noticed that I was getting stitched every time by enemy AI soldiers who were deadly accurate firing from the hip....on the run. When I was prone behind cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
Are you playing ARMA or ARMAII? I'll agree ARMA's campaign might be a bit scripted, but ARMA II....

Let's just say one of the reasons I dropped it is because I needed to chart a full AO for insurgency- question the local population, contact other guerrilla groups, patrol hot spots, "snatch tongues" and so on...
>>Golani - thanks for the input; much appreciated. Are you saying you do or don't like ArmA2? Would you buy it over again if you had to?

Last edited by globetrotter; 14 Mar 10 at 18:26..
Old 15 Mar 10, 02:38
Sergeant Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter
No, it's analogies I'm using. It's billed (ArmA) as "the most realistic warfare package ever seen on a computer" (BI's words, not mine). Only that the campaign is pretty much like every other role-playing FPS that was ever released.
I think you'll find the keyword there is "package". We could go on for days describing how it's more "realistic" than other FPS games, but i think it's better to look at the game as a whole.
Unlike CoD and other various FPS games - Arma allows the player to take on various roles, whether it's playing as a simple grunt, leading a squad of soldiers, piloting a chopper, driving a tank, even just being the commander back at the FOB issuing orders to choppers/tanks/squads. If you make your own mission, you could even combine these all into the one. Hell, you could even set up a huge battle and then play as a goat or chicken who just runs around amongst it...
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think there are any other games which even try to contain all this into one game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I was expecting to lead a squad. I don't - I run around shooting stuff like every other FPS.
I assume you are playing the original Arma, as my memory isn't too great i can't comment on that. I only played it a bit on a mate's computer anyway.
But i'll just briefly describe a couple of missions of A2, which (hopefully) will show how it differs from other FPS games.

The first few missions won't have you leading the squad, instead you'll just be a part of the 5 man squad. Might sound dull, but as Golani pointed out, the later missions get much harder and time consuming - Requiring all sorts of attention, whether it's getting target locations from civilians or patrolling spots which may or may not have enemy patrols.

In the first mission you are tasked with assaulting a town at night, (given the option to) assist captured civilians, destroy a radio station, find evidence of war crimes, and then finish the mission off by using the laser designator and taking out a few vehicles at great distances. In total you'll end up travelling about 1-2km (maybe more depending on the side objectives and direction you take).
I've played all the CoD games, all the MoH games and many other popular FPS titles which claim "realism" and "depth" but none of these have a single mission with as much variety.

Another mission later on will see you now leading the squad, and your objective is to move to the new FOB to receive new orders.
You are given multiple tasks at once and free choice to decide what is done first. Many of these require you to make your own way to the area (whether by AI piloted chopper or by driving yourself in a Humvee, or walk..)
- Eliminate a weapon smuggler
- Track down and arrest two different individuals(who change location throughout the day, so you must check your watch)
- Clear an enemy base
- Destroy enemy sentries and sentry posts
- Search a town for a weapons cache
- Eliminate a guerilla leader

Again this is just one mission, and this one mission will last about as long as half of the CoD MW2 campaign . Maybe even longer depending on your approach and pace.

It should also be pointed out that the user-made missions are just as good, and in some cases better than the campaign the game ships with.
So even if you lose all patience with the campaign, which is understandable as a single death in your squad results in you having to start over (damn the "no man left behind" motto!) you can still have many many hours of fun by playing through the hundreds of user-made missions available.
Or you could just jump into the editor and throw down a few units and get straight into the action. As for you knowing where the enemy are and how many units - You can set them up so they have a % chance to appear, and if you've given them waypoints then it'll be almost impossible to know exactly where they are at any given time, and that's if they are there at all.

I'll stop this post now so it doesn't go on for another page, i think i've just ended up ranting about pointless things, but the point i was overall trying to get across is - The game is massive in comparison to any other FPS game, and if you give it a bit of time you can really enjoy yourself.
I spent the first couple of weeks not playing the campaign and i was just playing around in the editor/armory and taking a look at the various mods available.
Infact, i don't think i actually finished the final mission in the campaign - But i've still clocked up more hours playing this than any other FPS title in recent years. Without ever once going online!

It may just be that the game isn't your style, and you wouldn't be alone - Many people have tried it and hated it, but if you are looking for a military simulation "package" you really can't get better than Arma(1 or 2). Or if you do, it'll cost you $820 to buy it.
Old 15 Mar 10, 11:41
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Mackie, great stuff man!
I'm opening a new thread for addons would you mind posting it there as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
>>Golani - thanks for the input; much appreciated. Are you saying you do or don't like ArmA2? Would you buy it over again if you had to?
I'd buy it over and over again.
The game(s) power is by sheer community and editor.
You can play it forever, different eras, units, nations, types of missions, what ever.

I like campaigns in games, it's a must for me therefore I was disappointed with ARMAII, but not so much as to regret buying it, like I said the community is so powerful that if you're patient enough you'll get good campaigns and missions eventually.

The base game is just a bonus
Sponsored Links

Old 16 Mar 10, 06:53
Colonel
Australia

globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200]
OK. So I've just purchased it direct to drive. I have precious little time to waste on such things, but what little there is will go to this game, I have no doubt.

Get some...
Old 16 Mar 10, 16:52
Brigadier General
Pirate

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead

I wasn't sure if it deserves a thread of its own seeing as it is a standalone expansion so I will just use this one here.

BIS released a new trailer for OA showing off some features and new additions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlXa9...layer_embedded

Spotted stuff:

- FLIR in action
- NEW! Quad Bike
- NEW! Stryker MGS
- NEW! German SF
- NEW! HMMWV CROWS
Old 16 Mar 10, 20:07
Sergeant Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
I wasn't sure if it deserves a thread of its own seeing as it is a standalone expansion so I will just use this one here.

BIS released a new trailer for OA showing off some features and new additions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlXa9...layer_embedded

Spotted stuff:

- FLIR in action
- NEW! Quad Bike
- NEW! Stryker MGS
- NEW! German SF
- NEW! HMMWV CROWS
Thanks for posting this mate, been eagerly awaiting any news for OA.
FLIR looks great, as does the other additions. They've even thrown in a UAV chopper!
Can't wait to get my hands on this, only dissapointing thing about OA is i've heard the units/features won't be abe to be ported to the original A2...Let's hope that's just a rumour.
Old 17 Mar 10, 23:17
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
Thanks for posting this mate, been eagerly awaiting any news for OA.
FLIR looks great, as does the other additions. They've even thrown in a UAV chopper!
Can't wait to get my hands on this, only dissapointing thing about OA is i've heard the units/features won't be abe to be ported to the original A2...Let's hope that's just a rumour.
UAV chopper?! Those things aren't even out yet I'm like 70% sure! Epic idea, but...

Can you get an M/RQ-1 Predator to shoot some AGMs at the bad guys, or was that already in ArmA/ArmA2?

--Hávamál
Old 18 Mar 10, 03:33
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Can you get an M/RQ-1 Predator to shoot some AGMs at the bad guys, or was that already in ArmA/ArmA2?
It's already in ARMA2.

I bet someone made a mode of it for ARMA as well.
Old 18 Mar 10, 09:07
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
I contributed screenshots and stuff to an Armed Assault review at the Few Good Men Club last year-

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmf...-Armed-Assault

A few of us FGM members got together to play online and it was fun but eventually we ran out of steam because some people wanted to play with WW2 mods and others didn't, some wanted to use speech hardware while others didn't, plus of course not everybody could be on the start line at the designated time because of world time zone differences.

I tried playing it solo and had fun, but my AI squad were pretty useless at finding cover and I got fed up having to baby-sit and micro-manage them all the time.
I even created a few small scenarios which went pretty well, but the enemy AI was bad, it just ran around without any realistic tactics..

I've not tried Armed Assault II yet.
Bydand!

Was surprised to see that. Your Gordon Highlander has good taste in games.

Nice site.
Old 18 Mar 10, 15:59
Colonel
Australia

Old 18 Mar 10, 17:20
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
UAV chopper?! Those things aren't even out yet I'm like 70% sure! Epic idea, but...
OA is set around 5-10 years into the future IIRC so I guess BIS got a little creative with the UAV helicopter.

You might remember it from Future Weapons. You can see the clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCGMfFYg9o

Quote:
There was an addon for ArmA and it came as standard in ArmA 2.

Anyway lads. I just spent the last hour putting a mission together with you in command of a USMC Rifle Platoon tasked with re-taking two villages from the enemy in Germany. You have 81mm Mortar support as well as the use of a UAV. The enemy is thought to be motorized and have light armour support at best, which is good as the Abrams are tied down elsewhere.

I just gave it a little test right now. I called in the mortars on to a suspected enemy position and saw the rounds land from the UAV. Incredible.

No other game has the flexibility and re-playability of ArmA 2.

I'll also make a Canadian version for globetrotter and one using the Aussie SASR as the command element. No IDF addons have been released though otherwise I would make an IDF version as well.
Old 18 Mar 10, 23:05
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
OA is set around 5-10 years into the future IIRC so I guess BIS got a little creative with the UAV helicopter.

You might remember it from Future Weapons. You can see the clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCGMfFYg9o
Oh, ok, and actually I think I first heard/saw something about it on a tv ad, or a magazine ad in Air & Space magazine, forgot.

Quote:
There was an addon for ArmA and it came as standard in ArmA 2.

Anyway lads. I just spent the last hour putting a mission together with you in command of a USMC Rifle Platoon tasked with re-taking two villages from the enemy in Germany. You have 81mm Mortar support as well as the use of a UAV. The enemy is thought to be motorized and have light armour support at best, which is good as the Abrams are tied down elsewhere.

I just gave it a little test right now. I called in the mortars on to a suspected enemy position and saw the rounds land from the UAV. Incredible.

I'll also make a Canadian version for globetrotter and one using the Aussie SASR as the command element. No IDF addons have been released though otherwise I would make an IDF version as well.
So the UAV shoots? That's pretty cool that you could see rounds hitting! I just thought of an interesting idea maybe-a CSAR mission maybe? Whatever side you might be-you have to assemble a team and go rescue a few wounded/stranded mates, and the enemy gets close, so you must utilize your rescue team and air support to successfully complete it.

Sound good? Just thought of it myself

--Hávamál
Old 19 Mar 10, 06:11
General of the Forums
Israel

Quote:

Yeah yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

(In other words, post it for download, we want to play it too! )
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!