StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 10 Aug 10, 23:46
Sergeant Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
I think I'll continue working with the mission to finish it up with voices and everything.
You spoil us!
I recently downloaded all those PUKF (and other Brit) mods and have been waiting for a decent mission to try them out in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZero
LOL, we know it's the ultimate simulator but it's also the ultimate PC resource hog. A lot of people purchased new crates just to play this game.

With my current configuration shown below, I'd be getting like 5 FPS

Pentium 4 3.4 GHz
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM @ 400MHz
512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Windows XP Home Edition
Sound Blaster Live!
Actually, these days it's not as much of a hog as people seem to think. As i explained in another thread (or earlier on in this one) the early versions required insanely fast read/write speeds in order to constantly have all the data (units/island/terrain etc..) streamed from your directory. So no matter if you spent $500 or $5,000 on your system, it wouldn't run flawlessly unless you were using an SSD or RAMdisk to store the game directory.

With the introduction of LAA (Large Address Aware) those with 64-bit OS can finally make use of their extra RAM. Add to that the file cache size being increased (again only a increase for those with 4gb+ of ram) and people are now running A2 as if it were CoD.
There's also a handful of other stutter-removing and AI improving features, but i won't go into rant mode. (too late?)

Of course there is still room for improvement, and many of these features should of been standard when the game was released. But the old saying "Gameplay over graphics" is very appropriate for a game like Arma.
You can reduce the graphics to the point that it will run even on basic laptops. It won't look all that pretty, but in the heat of battle you'll be ducking and diving too much to notice the scenery.

The engine is "smarter" than most expect too. I recently learnt that the processing of AI is tied to your CPU power. What this means is, if your CPU isn't capable of running Chernarus with 100+ AI units, it will reduce their "intelligence" and devote less CPU time to the handling of AI. Which would mean your system isn't going to take a massive hit when you take it to/beyond the limit...But the enemies won't be much of a challenge..

At the end of the day, when i look at all that Arma provides, i don't consider the requirements to be exceptionally high - All you really need is a PC that can out perform a 5 year old console.
Old 19 Aug 10, 22:01
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
This is fairly abstract but I've noticed that I've seem to have struck a good nerve with you mates in that before there wasn't and ArmA thread (that I noticed), but now it's bustling with you guys sharing experiences and such.

I just wanted to voice that observation

--Hávamál
Old 21 Aug 10, 22:18
Sergeant Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4
This is fairly abstract but I've noticed that I've seem to have struck a good nerve with you mates in that before there wasn't and ArmA thread (that I noticed), but now it's bustling with you guys sharing experiences and such.
Yup, before this thread we just continued to drift off-topic in the Dragon Rising thread...But that wasn't exactly a bad thing, it served as a reminder to people looking at picking up Dragon Rising that there was a better alternative . Though now two Arma topics are stickied it would be hard for people to accidently buy Dragon Rising thinking it's a mil-sim.

Good idea making the topic though, we'd probably be up to page 30 in the DR topic otherwise.
Old 26 Apr 15, 14:24
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
No posts in five years. Cutting loose.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!