HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Turn-Based Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Turn-Based Strategy Games For all games that follow a turn-based format.

Old 18 Feb 10, 13:01
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Thumbs up Civilization V Announced!

Just read that Civilization V was announced and it will feature a hex based map instead of square tiles as well as other improvements.

http://www.firaxis.com/

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1070111p1.html

I have been a big fan of this series so hopefully this lastest edition will further enrich the game play. Im looking forward to hearing more about it as they release more information.

Thanks for looking!!
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 18 Feb 10, 15:37
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
Hexes?

Far out man.

I guess that kills any reason there might have been for Strategic Command 2 using tiles.
It's sad, that the rest of ACG effectively does NOT exist, I won't post on it, and some of the remarks in Politics by some of the members truly does influence my opinions on some of the membership. and it's not a favourable impression.
Old 18 Feb 10, 15:39
General of the Forums
Canada

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
Civilization V Announced
Firaxis reveals the next title in the celebrated strategy series.
by Steve Butts

February 18, 2010 - 2K Games just made the day a little brighter with the announcement of a brand new title in the best-selling Civilization series. Sid Meier's Civilization V, currently in development at Firaxis, will feature an "entirely new combat system, deeper diplomatic interactions, and a cavalcade of expanded features that deliver a fully immersive experience providing hours of enteratainment as players build and defend their empire on their quest to become the greatest ruler the world has ever known."

Perhaps most significantly for fans, the series is making the jump to hexagons rather than square tiles to "allow for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay, and stunning organic landscapes." The entire game is being built on an entirely new engine that's being built from the ground up to bring players "closer to the Civ experience than ever." Diplomacy is handled full screen now, with full leader animations and appropriate languages. Players who aren't inclined towards negotiations will find that war feels "more massive" and includes ranged bombardment from behind front lines.

Civilization V will also include an "extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements," and an "in-game community hub where Civ fans can share content and compete against each other."

Well I am sure amused.
It's sad, that the rest of ACG effectively does NOT exist, I won't post on it, and some of the remarks in Politics by some of the members truly does influence my opinions on some of the membership. and it's not a favourable impression.
Old 22 Feb 10, 12:49
First Sergeant
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

wwagstyl is on the path to success [1-99] wwagstyl is on the path to success [1-99] wwagstyl is on the path to success [1-99] wwagstyl is on the path to success [1-99]
Loved all these games since I first picked them up back with Civ 2. But although the newer ones have added various interesting elements, none of them seem to capture the same truly epic feel as Civ 2. Pity.
Old 23 Feb 10, 10:33
General of the Forums
Canada

The ONLY problem I have ever had with Civ, is the inevitable 'why does it take so long for a unit to traverse that much distance?' issue.

I wish movement of units could make more sense like it does in a standard turn using wargame.
Old 23 Feb 10, 23:04
Banned
United_States

Babbadoo11M is on the path to success [1-99] Babbadoo11M is on the path to success [1-99] Babbadoo11M is on the path to success [1-99] Babbadoo11M is on the path to success [1-99] Babbadoo11M is on the path to success [1-99]
Excellent, I have played every Civ except for 1. I cannot remember how many countless hours I've wasted on this game!
Old 25 Feb 10, 20:33
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
The also released an annoucement trailer. It does not show any in game footage but still pretty cool

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/62125/...ce_022510.html

Thanks for looking!!
Old 05 Mar 10, 20:50
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya

There is a new interview with the lead designer over at IGN. He talks about some interesting news things going on in Civ V. The ones that jumped out at me:

-With the new hex format only one unit per hex so no "super-stacks" (by the way the designer says the move to hexes was influenced by his love for "Panzer General")

-"combat has moved away from city sieges and instead focuses on movement and position outside of the cities."

-complete overhaul of the diplomatic system

-and the advisors are coming back!!

See the interview here http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1074732p1.html

Thanks for looking!!
Old 05 Mar 10, 21:15
General of the Forums
Canada

I continue to be interested

Always hated the stack o death aspect and was never keen on how cities were done even if I knew how to abuse it all.

But mainly I like the idea that diplomacy might get more involved.
Old 08 Mar 10, 21:13
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya

Some more information and insight into the game after IGN was able to visit FIRAXIS and see the game in its Alpha stage. The screen shots in the article from the game look great and there are some interesting things in terms of combat and diplomacy, especially the new city states, that they talk about.

See the article here http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1075587p1.html

Thanks for looking!!
Sponsored Links

Old 09 Mar 10, 11:13
General of the Forums
Canada

Ah man no more religion and espionage So much for being an obnoxious turd.

But after reading about the new combat style, I frankly couldn't read any further, I was starting to breath funny and get dizzy

Yeah, I'd love to see Civ V replace any need for any screwy dumb ass real time grand strategy crap we been subjected to too often lately. Let the fools that like Paradox's buggy garbage have it.

I want to play a real serious wargamers version of Civ. Man I can hardly wait.
Old 09 Mar 10, 15:55
Major General
United_States

JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200]
I am worried from the description that most of the peaceful victory conditions are disappearing no rligion, no cultural conquest, etc. If so, that would be a real dumbing down of the game. I love wargames, but that is not what CIV is and it would be a real shame if they turn into just a random strategic scale wargame.
Old 09 Mar 10, 16:03
General of the Forums
Australia
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMoss View Post
I am worried from the description that most of the peaceful victory conditions are disappearing no rligion, no cultural conquest, etc. If so, that would be a real dumbing down of the game. I love wargames, but that is not what CIV is and it would be a real shame if they turn into just a random strategic scale wargame.
I can't say I would miss the religion bit: too much effort for not a lot of return, but I really liked the cultural bizzo. It was nice being able to flip a city by being better than their civilisation. I don't pay civ to play a war game I play it to out think (or be out thought) my opponents on all levels.
Old 09 Mar 10, 17:47
General of the Forums
Canada

I usually play Civ IV with religion AS a weapon actually.

Grab all the religions and then let the others just deal with hostile internal problems

Then I use espionage to just fan the flames. Nothing like making their cities hot beds of discontent.

War by another means eh.

But I've always been bothered by how Civ treats warfare so abstractly too.

Truth is guys, most of man's advancement over the years has been over someone's corpse.

And look at the world today, you is called the great satan (the US mainly) by religious nutcases mostly because our comfortable live of luxury pisses them off on some level.

I usually get attacked in Civ IV only when I am clearly doing too good for the likings of the civs that are doing crappy. It's more often the guy on the bottom of the pecking order that attacks me, not the dude in second place.
Old 14 Mar 10, 15:11
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'll be happy if a) combat is more interesting and b) the AI doesn't keep longbow men around into the 1940s.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!