StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Latin America & the Caribbean > Haiti

Notices and Announcements

Haiti Jan 2010 Earthquake in Haiti. .

Closed Thread

Old 12 Feb 10, 07:34
Recruit
United_States

steve4242 has a little shameless behaviour in the past [-1 to -99]
Unhappy Harley-Davidson donates 28 bikes to Haiti

Harley-Davidson is donating 28 new Buell and Harley-Davidson motorcycles to assist with the Haiti earthquake disaster.

The bikes are being shipped to the disaster zone from the Dominican Republic where H-D has a facility.

“Our thoughts are with all of those affected by this devastating disaster in Haiti,” said Rod Copes, Sr. Vice President of International Sales, Marketing and Business Development for Harley-Davidson.

“As the relief and stabilization efforts continue, motorcycles can often offer a higher degree of maneuverability and access than other types of vehicles.”

The motorcycles will remain in Haiti as a permanent donation to the government.

Is this what the Haitians need right now? What do you say..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 12 Feb 10, 07:42
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300]
All right, I know it's your first post and all, but I don't think it's right to start criticizing and comparing how any person or group choose to send their help. Yeah, some ways are stupider than others. I would probably recommend that they send 3-6 cheaper Honda or Yamahas rather than 1 Harley, but there will always be somebody in a position to give more, or to give more efficiently than others. The important thing is that they gave. In the current economic downturn and dearth of financing, these Harleys were probably surplus inventory and easy to give away. But that does not make them any less useful for moving around.
Old 12 Feb 10, 07:46
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300]
And if these are surplus inventory bikes, then maybe it is an efficient donation. If they are difficult to off-load as luxury motorcycles right now, then maybe it's better to have them donated in a small PR gesture to Haiti, rather than have them collecting dust while renting storage space in a warehouse.
Old 12 Feb 10, 07:50
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4242 View Post
“As the relief and stabilization efforts continue, motorcycles can often offer a higher degree of maneuverability and access than other types of vehicles.”
Motorcycles certainly can offer a higher degree of maneuverability,except of course when they are bloated Harleys!And a Buell doesn't really offer the kind of maneuverability that you would want on these debris filled streets either.If Haiti needs motorcycles for this relief effort,they would be best served with dirt bikes,enduros and dual-sports.Something that could run over a brick in the road and not spit the rider onto the ground.

Harley would have been better off donating the cash equivalent of those pieces of two-wheeled crap to a reputable charity(if there is one).

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Last edited by Gixxer86g; 12 Feb 10 at 07:52..
Old 12 Feb 10, 09:09
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800]
At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800]
It's just PR.
Considering how most Harley owners obtain their money(drugs, vice, auto theft, standover tactics etc), if I was the CEO of a charity, I would be refusing their "donation". It's just a stunt to try to improve their image. It's an aspirational brand. But only those who aspire to following a life of crime, or who endorses the "gang" lifestyle, would want to own one.

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
— Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Last edited by At ease; 12 Feb 10 at 09:14..
Old 12 Feb 10, 10:19
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by At ease View Post
Considering how most Harley owners obtain their money(drugs, vice, auto theft, standover tactics etc),
That's one of the silliest things I've ever read.

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Old 12 Feb 10, 10:25
General of the Forums
France
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
It's just PR.
Considering how most Harley owners obtain their money(drugs, vice, auto theft, standover tactics etc), if I was the CEO of a charity, I would be refusing their "donation". It's just a stunt to try to improve their image. It's an aspirational brand. But only those who aspire to following a life of crime, or who endorses the "gang" lifestyle, would want to own one.
Woah now, saying most Harley owners are criminals is ridiculous. I can't believe this post.

There is a reason 1%ers are called 1%ers. In fact most people that purchase Harleys are dudes in their late 30s, and then it sits in their garage a few years until they sell a 5 year old bike with less than 10,000 miles. Then the majority of Harley enthusiasts have absolutly nothing to do with 1% activites. They just like to ride motorcycles.

I really think you should rethink that completely absurd post.
Old 12 Feb 10, 10:28
Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
It's just PR.
Are you serious? Harley Davidson is the most popular cruiser type motorcycle in America. Most guys I see riding them are middle aged men from all walks of life. I regularly see white collar business men on group rides with blue collar workers. They brand the bikes as a lifestyle and the common interest draws all types of people together.

I think they are overpriced and don't ride one because it seems like EVERYONE has one, but I would never make a generalization like your statement.

Ben
Old 12 Feb 10, 10:37
General of the Forums
Australia

At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer86g View Post
That's one of the silliest things I've ever read.
What is the "brand of choice" for motorcycle gangs?

Old 12 Feb 10, 10:39
General of the Forums
France
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
What is the "brand of choice" for motorcycle gangs?
You really think 1%ers are the majority of people that ride motorcycles?

I mean they are 1%ers!! What are you living in a movie?
Sponsored Links

Old 12 Feb 10, 10:44
General of the Forums
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
You really think 1%ers are the majority of people that ride motorcycles?

I mean they are 1%ers!! What are you living in a movie?
No, not Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki etc. Just the Harleys I am talking about.
So I will ask you as well. What do Hells Angels etc ride?

Old 12 Feb 10, 10:50
General of the Forums
France

Quote:
You said MOST PEOPLE THAT RIDE HARLEYS ARE CRIMINALS.

That just isn't true dude. Period.

That is like saying everyone that lives in the South in the USA is a card carrying member of the KKK.

You realize the number of people actually in an MC or prospecting or associated, compared to the number of people that ride Harleys is like, minuscule. In the big scheme of things there aren't that many outlaw bikers, which is why they are called 1%ers.
Old 12 Feb 10, 10:55
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
So most Harley riders are in gangs?You said that MOST Harley owners are criminals.That's incredibly silly.That's like saying most Aussie motorcyclists look like they are straight out of Mad Max and Road Warrior.

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Old 12 Feb 10, 10:56
General of the Forums
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
You said MOST PEOPLE THAT RIDE HARLEYS ARE CRIMINALS.

That just isn't true dude. Period.

That is like saying everyone that lives in the South in the USA is a card carrying member of the KKK.

You realize the number of people actually in an MC or prospecting or associated, compared to the number of people that ride Harleys is like, minuscule. In the big scheme of things there aren't that many outlaw bikers, which is why they are called 1%ers.
This is what I said (in post #5):
"It's an aspirational brand. But only those who aspire to following a life of crime, or who endorses the "gang" lifestyle, would want to own one."

Old 12 Feb 10, 10:57
General of the Forums
France

Check out this Oultlaw 1%er on his Harley:

Closed Thread

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!