HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Film, DVD, and TV

Notices and Announcements

Film, DVD, and TV Discuss the latest movies at the theatre and on DVD, as well as what is on TV. ACG film reviews will also be found here.

Old 14 Dec 09, 10:51
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
"Coming of Age" Films - The most cliche ridden genre since horror.

My friends should know better than to watch coming of age films with me. But we were also watching Outlaw so I sat through the first movie: Dog Days of Summer. I annoyed them by guessing the plot elements with 100% accuracy. Is it really cynicism when you're always right?

When the two kids start talking about death I knew one of them was taking a fall. Childhood tragedy involving death is a cliche requisite for coming of age films and and since neither of the kids had a dog or a mentor figure to take the fall, it was a sure bet one of the kids was the red shirted ensign. I put my chips on drowning. If the coming of age flick involves teenagers the death scene is either suicide, car accident, or drugs. Younger participants tend to have water based fatalities, either from exposure to cold or drowning.

And I called it dead on. One of the kids has a big fight with his Dad and at this point I called death by drowning, scene of father wailing in anguish. I saw the kid leaning over the rail and when the rail started to give, I knew I called it right again.

And of course we had the requisite "authority figure character trusts turns out to have dark secret" happen on more than one occasion. I had a feeling the old man was responsible for the death of the kid's mother.

And when I saw the clergyman I knew he was having an affair. Why? Because he had the New England old school pastor look. In coming of age films religious leaders moral standards can be judged by their appearance. If they are conservative you better believe they're "having a little extra on the side" with their parishoners. However if they are inner-city, casually dressed, and play basketball, they'll probably be major role models for the main characters.

I can MST3K a coming of age film as good as any B grade sci-fi/horror flick. Maybe it'll teach my friends not to pick those films during movie nights. Oh well, the male members of the group throught it was funny.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 14 Dec 09, 16:55
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
I have the same problem with friends 'insisting' that some forms of comedy are must see movies.

Some of it is simply too post secondary mindset for me.

But then I went straight from 17 to 25 with little in between. Most of the in between years just weren't interesting for me. And everything thay went with them.
It's sad, that the rest of ACG effectively does NOT exist, I won't post on it, and some of the remarks in Politics by some of the members truly does influence my opinions on some of the membership. and it's not a favourable impression.
Old 16 Dec 09, 18:02
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri is simply cracking [600]
Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600]
Whatever genre the possible plot lines are limited. I can't even remember if I've seen any good movies this year. Probaply not. OTOH, maybe all the writers have read the same books about screenwriting, because the stuff is really the same...I know all the movies I've bought have been big disappointments. Hell, the only ones worth buying were TV series; Family Guy and Fawlty Towers.

Rules have purpose. The time to break them is when the purpose is no longer served.
Old 16 Dec 09, 20:34
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Hollywood formula writing - always mimic a previous success, rather than take a chance on untested new material.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!