StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Units - Military/Naval Service of ACG Members > Army

Notices and Announcements

Army ACG service in the Army of any nation.

Old 13 Dec 09, 14:42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99]
22nd ARVN Infantry Division/Advisory Team 22

Hello,
Open to member of the 22nd Infantry Division (rivers and mountains), and the associated MAAG/MACV advisory team
Red Dagger 18
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 09 Feb 10, 15:16
Recruit
United_States

Gene is a balanced individual [0]
I was with MACV Tm 22, 22 ARVN, located in Bagi. 1968-69.
Can't seem to find any records or info. Can you advise?
Regards,
Gene Gammon
Old 09 Feb 10, 15:59
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I was with MACV Tm 22, 22 ARVN, located in Bagi. 1968-69.

Thank you for your service in the cause of freedom for the Vietnamese people

Old 10 Feb 10, 18:47
Second Lieutenant
United_States

RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99]
MAAG Team 22 records

Hello,
Suggest Boonierat could steer you to a proper place. I suspect the USArmy Center of Military History has some links to MAAG team reports. I was with MAAG Team 22 1963-4. I do think you'll find a lot of research resources herein ACG. On the Classmates website, there are also links to the 22nd ARVN when they were in Kontum, as I was on my first tour.
Good luck
RedDagger18
Old 12 Apr 10, 18:22
Recruit
United_States

Gene is a balanced individual [0]
Looking for info on MACV Tm 22, II Corp.

Hi RedDagger,
You were there before me but I appreciate your suggestions for link.
VA wants some proof of things for a claim but no records seem to be found so far about Tm 22, Bagi. My hoochmate advisors were from ROK, Australia, and US medic. Don't know any of their names.
When they ask where I was and I tell them Bagi near Qui Nhon, they give me a blank look and ask me to show them on a map.
All I found on the net was a note on Bagi being headquarters for 22 ARVN.

Thanks,
Gene
Old 13 Apr 10, 01:26
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Ba Gi was the name of the airfield located at An Nhon. The Headquarters of the 22nd ARVN Division moved there from Kontum in March 1965. On 1 May 1970 the forward CP returned the the Highlands at Tan Canh near Dak To where it was overrun during the Eastertide Offensive.

Old 13 Apr 10, 04:33
Banned
Australia

Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Hi RedDagger,
You were there before me but I appreciate your suggestions for link.
VA wants some proof of things for a claim but no records seem to be found so far about Tm 22, Bagi. My hoochmate advisors were from ROK, Australia, and US medic. Don't know any of their names.
When they ask where I was and I tell them Bagi near Qui Nhon, they give me a blank look and ask me to show them on a map.
All I found on the net was a note on Bagi being headquarters for 22 ARVN.

Thanks,
Gene
Hi Gene

AFAIK, only one Australian advisor went anywhere near the 22nd Division or any of its Regiments and that was back in RD-18's time.

Regards

Mick
Old 05 Jun 10, 11:48
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Map of coast area around Ba Gi

Hi, Boonierat
Thanks for posting that map. It looks as if Ba Gi was south of the area where LZ English was set up in 1966-7 for the 1st Cav.

Of interest to me is that Dieu Tri is shown at the junction of the railroad with a spur out to the coast and Qui Nhon.

Dieu Tri is where the 3/41st Infantry loaded onto a southbound train in late Jan 64 for the national training center at Ninh Hoa, just north of Nha Trang. The cars were all on a siding, and I recall the locomotive (I think a 2-6-0) was an oil burner. The track was narrow guage, too. We came back up from Ninh Hoa in late Feb at the end of the training cycle, to pick up the trucks to take us back to Kontum. I mentioned that episode at Mang Yang in an earlier post.
RedDagger18
Old 18 Oct 10, 14:25
Recruit
United_States

Hooks is on the path to success [1-99]
Info needed on MACV Team 22

Hey Chuck: I probably have way too many questions but I would like to talk about the advisory team, the compound, the mission, etc. As an 18-yr-old I spent April '64 to April '65 at the U.S. compound off Highway 14 just north of Kontum City. I thought I was part of MACV but recently discovered I was carried on the morning report of the 178th Signal Co., Danang. We were "loaned" to the MACV team. The radios we were supposed to operate ran themselves so we became the compound's armed guards, walking perimeter, running convoys to Pleiku or Dak To and seeing to the needs to Dr. Pat Smith. We also had a SF B Team with us that supervised 5 A teams along the border and I was part of the response when an A team was over run July 4, 1964. I was recently contacted by one of my buddies who was there Oct. '64 to Aug. '65 and we both have a bad case of CRS. Can you help us? I am brand new to this site so I may not be using it correctly.
Old 20 Oct 10, 13:40
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Welcome to the Website

Hello
What are your questions? We overlapped obviously.

I pulled guard duty at times in the guard tower on the northside of Tencza compound. I started the construction of the helipad on the north side when I arrived there in late August 1963, including having a large tree in the middle of the site hoisted away by chopper after being cut down. Col Harry (Bullets Alone Won't Win) Huppert was the Team 22 Commander. Lt Col Tisdale replaced him in the winter of 63-64.

You got there after the attack in February that blew up the main building which was on the west side closest to the main gate and Highway 14. I wasn't there at the time of the incident (was with my battalion at the national training center at Ninh Hoa on the coast). Do remember the attack on the SF outpost on July 4th. That's where Roger Donlon won the first Medal of Honor of the Vietnam War. I later served with him in Kansas.
Chuck
RedDagger18
Sponsored Links

Old 22 Oct 10, 11:13
Recruit
United_States

I spent many a two-hour shift manning the .30-cal machine gun in the water tower on the north side. I liked walking the guard post on the south and east sides better. It seemed when I arrived in April '64 the total number of US forces at this compound was about 50 and had doubled by the time I left. Does that seem right to you? Do you remember an Army medic SFC George Meyer? When I returned to Vietnam in July '68 he was one of the first people I ran into. He had never gone home. Can you recall the name of the doctor who was with the team? Do you remember a VC attack on Dr. Pat's hospital around 1965? (The hospital was later abandoned because of the numerous enemy tunnels under it caused it to subside).
Old 23 Oct 10, 12:29
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Trip down Memory's Lane

Hello, Earl
Sorry, can't be sure of the doctor's name, but there was a Medical Service Corps captain on TM 22 MAAG, name sort of like Andresson, I vaguely recall. Do not remember SFC Meyer. There was a British doctor in the Kontum area early in my tour in late 1963. We had a few drinks at the O Club bar in the building that got blasted in the Feb attack. He was later involved in an operation down in Saigon removing an unexploded M-79 round that had become embedded in a Vietnamese man in the upper back. That incident was featured in a TV report back in the mid 1960's on US national networks. Don't recall his name, but remember seeing him in the video. I do not know if he had any affiliation officially with the MAAG.

The fact that there were tunnels under Dr Smith's hospital east of town is news to me. But, can certainly think it probable. The VC and NVA were cunning folks, to be sure. I do know she eventually pulled the plug on her operation and came back to the Seattle area, I would guess about that time. I had not heard of any attack.

From April until I rotated in August (1964), my battalion - 3/41st Infantry - was at Chuong Nghia District at Plateau Gi, about 45 clicks NE of Kontum. I'd come down to "the big city" about every two weeks for supplies, get a shower, have a steak cookout, An NCO from the team had been KIA east of Plateau Gi at a place called Gia Vuc in the spring of 1963; I think there was a monument to him on the Enlisted/NCO side of the Compound (east side).

That's it for now's trip down memory lane.
Cheers
Chuck
Old 27 Oct 10, 16:00
Recruit
United_States

Chuck: Thanks for the response. I know it would sound odd to most folks but that year was one of the most fun in my life. I was 18 years old, there were only 16,000 Americans in country when I got there and we got to play with expensive and dangerous toys. I was 22 when I did my second tour (also MACV), there were 550,000 Americans in country and it was not nearly as much fun. The reason I asked about the physician... During the summer of '64, about 2 a.m., we're under alert and I'm in my foxhole (south side near the generators). It's pitch black and all of a sudden I'm being eaten alive. I took it for about 5 minutes then called the CP and said I had to get out of there. They said come in and when I got in under the light the physician turned pale. I was covered in those big nasty fire ants. He shot me full of something and called for a dust off to Qui Nhon. No chopper was available so he kept me on the floor of the CP. I guess I stabilized because they turned me loose later in the day. I think it has really affected me in middle age. In my mid-40s I became allergic to shellfish. Then in my 50s it was bee stings (I was stung at the golf course). It was becoming so bad that my private doctors were worried about it. I checked in with the VA. They had a contract doctor check me out and he determined that the original fire ant incident 'could' be the cause of my present day allergy problems. Of course the VA wants me to prove it. Got any ideas of how I could prove it? I don't believe there is any record of it because my records were in Danang.
Old 27 Oct 10, 16:29
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Support for VA claim

Hello, Earl.
I think you might have to start with the US Army Center for Military History, Washington, DC, to get a lead as to where Advisory Team records are held in the National Archives. I think there should be some. You might also contact the Vietnam Center at Texas Tech, Lubbock, TX which has been in the business of accumulating a wide range of personal memoirs and memorabila from VN veterans across the range of our engagement there. Of course, getting to the nitty gritty of date/time group of your incident and any paper record of the MD's actions is the sticky thing - but there should also be some sort of record. Also, you should contact any other folks at Team 22 that you may have contact with now, to see if they remember anything. And get involved with a national service officer of any Veterans organization (American Legion, VFW, AMVETS, Disabled American Veterans) to take your case - will likely require joining the group. That's what NSO's do for a living.
Hope this helps.
Chuck
Old 02 Dec 10, 17:07
Recruit
United_States

RDPARENT is a balanced individual [0]
I was assigned to TM 22 in BaGi from November 1967 - November 1968 as Sig Maint & Supply Advisor to the 22nd Sig. Co.
CW4 Parent, U.S. Army (Retired)

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!