StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks > Juke Box

Notices and Announcements

Juke Box You like music... join the club - Post It Here!

Old 10 Dec 09, 14:49
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200]
Lightbulb Everly Brothers- Marines before singers.

In 1961 Don and Phil were called upon to fulfil their military service obligations. They decided to enlist in the Marine Reserve and left the world of stardom to endure the rigors of basic training. To this day the Everly Brothers consider their training as Marines to be a pivotal positive experience in their formative years.

While in the Corps during the first half of 1962, they had a Top Ten hit with "Crying In the Rain," but their military commitment restricted them from capitalizing with club dates and tours.

On February 13, 1962, Don in his Marine dress uniform married movie starlet, Venetia Stevenson, in the chapel at Camp Pendleton, California. Five days later while still honeymooning in New York City, the boys made an appearance on CBS-TV's The Ed Sullivan Show in their dress uniforms. Don and Phil were released from the Marines on May 24, 1962. Three weeks earlier Warner Brothers issued "That's Old Fashion (That's the Way Love Should Be)" which became their second Top Ten single in a row. It was also their last.

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 10 Dec 09, 20:15
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Hey 17th.
I'm just curious. Back in those days we "All" had an 8 year obligation.
You got any idea how their release came about??
Also I was pretty good friends with the guy who wrote "Peggy Sue".
Neat story behind that if you're interested.
John

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
It's truly a simple concept.
Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!
Old 10 Dec 09, 20:42
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200]
I have no idea how they got by the obligation LeanotLee. It would
be interesting to know.

Sure, I'm interested. I love to learn about music. I attended
a backstage event at a Natalie Grant concert a few years ago
and she shared with us how the lyrics to the song Held came
about. It was a very special experience.

Old 10 Dec 09, 22:17
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Hey Pal, I left a message on your profile.
John

Old 11 Dec 09, 14:33
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

1962, Feb 18 Dressed in Marine Uniforms, the Everly Brothers use a leave to appear on The Ed Sullivan Show and sing "Crying In the Rain."

Even USMC.net does't give much insight, http://www.usmc.net/famous_us_marines/ about their collective tour.

Old 21 Nov 12, 17:40
Recruit
United_States

Big Mo is a balanced individual [0]
Everly Brothers

To answer the question about the Everly Brothers, for enlisted personnel, back in those days it was a 6 year obligation. For those who went selected reserves or National Guard, that was for 6 years. The Everly Brothers were released from active duty for training early 1962. They enlisted in 1961, so their obligation would have ended in 1967.

For enlisted who served active duty, the total active duty and individual reserves (a manpower roster) was 5 years, plus 1 year Standby Reserve. The Standby Reserve could only be mobilized if a national emergency had been declared by congress.

Today it is 8 years, for total active duty and individual ready reserve obligation. For reserves/guard, 6 years plus 2 years Individual Ready Reserve, and the Standby Reserves no longer exist. Jerry Mathers, of Leave it to Beaver fame, did 3 years. In his autobiography, he's rather vague on how his tour was shortened. He says he got enough points, which would have indicated he did more than a single weekend drill per week, and 14 or 15 days active duty every year. Anyone have any idea how he pulled that off?
Old 22 Nov 12, 00:31
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mo View Post
To answer the question about the Everly Brothers, for enlisted personnel, back in those days it was a 6 year obligation. For those who went selected reserves or National Guard, that was for 6 years. The Everly Brothers were released from active duty for training early 1962. They enlisted in 1961, so their obligation would have ended in 1967.

For enlisted who served active duty, the total active duty and individual reserves (a manpower roster) was 5 years, plus 1 year Standby Reserve. The Standby Reserve could only be mobilized if a national emergency had been declared by congress.

Today it is 8 years, for total active duty and individual ready reserve obligation. For reserves/guard, 6 years plus 2 years Individual Ready Reserve, and the Standby Reserves no longer exist. Jerry Mathers, of Leave it to Beaver fame, did 3 years. In his autobiography, he's rather vague on how his tour was shortened. He says he got enough points, which would have indicated he did more than a single weekend drill per week, and 14 or 15 days active duty every year. Anyone have any idea how he pulled that off?
How old are you, Mo?? And where do you get your info??
I was alive and well (and a teenage boy) in the 50's and believe me every young man in those days knew they had an EIGHT YEAR OBLIGATION!!
If you were physicaly fit (and I was) you owed Uncle Sam a minimum of 2 years active duty--2 years active reserve--and 4 years inactive reserve!
I served 3 years active duty...one year active reserve...4 years inactive resrve (8 years). And then at the age of 33 I went back and gave them the worst year of my life!

John

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!