HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 05 Dec 09, 23:09
Recruit
United_States

Wilson180 is on the path to success [1-99]
Flames of War Army Lists (Help me Please)

Hello,

I have just started to get into Flames of War. I have already purchased the RuleBook and i am looking to get started on a few units. I was just wondering if anybody could give me some tips about different types of units (Pros, Cons). I was thinking about the U.S Airborne or the German Parachute Infantry. Any lists that you may have/ or other tips would be most appreciated. Also, where would i find the point values for the units...is there a book that has them all or something??

Thank you,
Wilson180
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 05 Dec 09, 23:49
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Smile Hey there Wilson

It all depends on if your talking about Mid-War or Late-War in FoW, Early-War will be out next year or so.

I play German and Russian so I am familiar with those pretty much. As to points per unit you need some books besides the rules.

Mid-War has a new revised Africa book out in the last few months, I still stick to my old one so far. This has the German Africa Core, US and Brits from early 42 through 43.

For some Eastern front action you need Ostfront, and yet again a revised one will be out at the beginning of the new year for Mid-War.

Now for Late-War there is a generic book Fortress Europe, then many suplimental battle books that specifically delve into battles, D-Day, Cobra and the upcoming Bulge and Market garden to name a few.

Cheers, what kind of points are you looking to field in your Company, 1500 was the norn but 1750 is the way it is going now.

Tom
Old 05 Dec 09, 23:56
Recruit
United_States

Wilson180 is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks for your Reply

Thanks for your reply. How many units would be in a 1500 point army. What types of units do you recomend for the german parachute infantry?? and finally where can i find a book of the point values for the U.S Airborne?

Thank you,
Wilson180
Old 06 Dec 09, 02:08
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Wink Well

Fortress Europe has most of the Late-War stats

From the older book an FG Company might have

HQ - 2 command stands Co Commander and 2nd in command, 55 points

2-3 FJ Platoons each of

9 Infrantry stands and 1 command stand for 250 points each

Weapons Platoons might be

1-2 MG Platoons

4 MG stands and 1 Platoon commander is 170 points each

1 mortar Platoon

4 stands of mortars 1 platoon commander and 2 spotters are 170 points

As for support Platoons you could get

1 Platoon of tank hunters

4 Marder II's 355 points
4 Stug G's for 440 points
Tigers, 1 Tiger is 215 points each or some King Tigers, 340 points each
a Tank Platoon of various models
a heavy mortar platoon

And other options as well.

As for US para get D Minus 1, it has the US and British Airborne forces for Normandy.

Here are some of my books for FoW

Cheers, also check the FoW net site, tons of info and some good discussions as well, for the most part anyways....

http://www.flamesofwar.com/

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thumbnail.jpg (27.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0702.jpg (248.0 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by TRDG; 06 Dec 09 at 02:28..
Old 08 Dec 09, 07:41
Sergeant
Singapore
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ryan002 is on the path to success [1-99] Ryan002 is on the path to success [1-99] Ryan002 is on the path to success [1-99]
I have a German pioneer company, although I play more for flavor than to win. For me, properly placed AT guns and MG crews are the foundation of all my tactics.

Since I am almost wholly infantry based, and my heavy MG base tends to slow advances, I can typically outlast anyone in the defensive scenarios. My company is overspecialized and unbalanced, but I find it hard to trust units besides infantry in FoW.
Old 12 Dec 09, 10:23
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Smile Hi Ryan

I like the "flavoring" of certain battles as well in our part of the woods to. The greatest thing to run German Companies is the sheer variety of units, and all the cool toys they fielded as well.
When we were into Mid-War, we rarely fielded Tigers as the point sink just killed most Companies that had em'. But now for Late-War it is a regular thing to be seen. Arty, Fireflies, 76mm Shermans and air tend to take care of them off and on, unless your opponent does not have those at hand!!!!

Cheers, what Battle Books do you usually run your companies from in general where you guys play by the way?

Tom
Old 23 Jan 10, 15:02
Private
England

panzerknackered is on the path to success [1-99]
I like the Sturmkompanie from STALINS ONSLAUGHT, a very good defensive force. With the option to field three panzerschreck team`s in the h.q, a heavy platoon and two hmg platoon`s also an anti-tank platoon with two Pak 40`s, all of which can make combat attachment`s you can tailor your force for almost any opponent. The special rule that you can place your support anti-tank platoon after your opponent has deployed can really help, also if you take 50 point`s of fortification`s then in any game that does not use the fortification`s rule you can choose to defend against anybody in a defensive battle.

The usual downside with German`s applies, there are never enough point`s for everything you want.

Frank
Old 24 Jan 10, 00:20
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Wink Frank

Check my Recon in force game thread here at the bottom of this page, this might be interesting to you maybe.

Cheers, I love the Sturm Division as well!!

Tom
Old 24 Jan 10, 12:33
Private
England

OMG,
I AM IN AWE

The time and effort that must have gone into that battle is incredible. Great layout (like the rubble covered plastic,very versatile), incredible amount of model`s and the presentation was fantastic.
Frank
Old 25 Jan 10, 00:44
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Wink Lol

Thanks, I thought you just might be interested in that game!!

Cheers, thinking about another one in the future here, but I need to finish a couple of games I'm running and playing on the net first. I am waiting for that bridge to come out from BF, that might be interesting!!

Tom
Sponsored Links

Old 26 Jan 10, 12:10
Private
England

Yeah, some of the terrain box`s they are bringing out are fantastic and being already painted is a real help, the only downside is the price.
Frank
Old 27 Jan 10, 11:03
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Smile I'm waiting to see

What the forests look like and that big bridge section for Market Garden in the next book. The upcoming houses pack might be pretty good as well.

Cheers, yep, very pricy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom
Old 27 Jan 10, 13:07
Private
England

Yeah too pricey for me, the only reason I have even seen any is that our gaming club has got some. Apart from gaming with a bunch of mate`s, being able to get expensive terrain is one of the perk`s of being in a club.
Frank.
Old 31 Jan 10, 00:50
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Wink Ya

Its just the hobby store owner and I that have a lot of terrain, we make up more as we plan our bigger battles, nothing to wild, but it works.

Cheers

Tom
Old 06 Nov 11, 18:06
Lance Corporal
United_States

TankMaster is on the path to success [1-99]
Well, if I were you I would choose the mid war german paras in the cassino book. So go to www.Flamesofwar.com and go to german part. After that go to infantry. Or look at the books and buy cassino. That will have the points and lists.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!