StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > World History Group Hosting > The Art of Battle

Notices and Announcements

The Art of Battle All discussion of The Art of Battle - Power Point Maps is encouraged here. Visit the Website.

Old 25 Mar 10, 23:56
General of the Forums
Philippines
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300]
My favorite quote is this:

"It is best to keep one's own state intact; to crush the enemy's state is only a second best. It is best to keep one's own army, battalion, company, or five-man squad intact; to crush the enemy's army, battalion, company, or five-man squad is only a second best. So to win a hundred victories in a hundred batles is not the highest excellence; the highest excellence is to subdue the enemy's army without fighting at all."

I also don't like the fact that a lot of books has come out adapting Sun Tzu's work to various fields. Not to argue their usefulness or success in adapting it, but I guess it does make it sort of cliche to say, "I've read Sun Tzu", when in fact the context some people are using are vastly different from what it was originally intended for. That said, I've found some adaptations to be surprisingly well-written

I also have Robert Greene's 33 Strategies, and I really like it too; particularly the fact that he draws on history to illustrate his points. Sort of how some of the posters here do, too, actually. Which is why I like this forum, am learning a lot. Thanks, guys, you know who you are.
Old 30 Mar 10, 19:12
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
As military intelligence officer, I like Sun Tzu's "signs of significance". They were based on human aspects which would be too difficult to manipulate in war or battle, such as, when the men who go for water drink first then the army is thirsty; when the men lean on their spears they are tired; and when they turn their cooking pots over on their camp fires, they plan to fight to the end.

Later while researching indicators that the German army used for determining Red Army actions, I found a similar list of "signs of significance." For German intelligence, they would notice the length in the guard sectors to determine widening or narrowing of a unit's sector [narrowing would indicate attack]; if they saw new faces such as Asians or different languages, that meant reinforcing a sector for an attack; the issuance of vodka before the attack; and for an army that was good at camouflaging, spotty camouflaging met the arrival of additional troops [it is human nature that one would better camouflage their own position than one to be occupied by someone else].

Then, serving in Korea during the winter when concern for a North Korean attack was highest, I learned that the South Koreans watched to see if the North Koreans soldiers north of the DMZ hung out their morning wash.
Old 29 Apr 10, 01:07
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I once heard something similar to your "signs of significance." We were told not to leave cigarette butts in the field because it was an indication of the state of supply.
Old 28 Jun 10, 01:55
Sergeant Major
Armchair_General

علامت پیروز is on the path to success [1-99] علامت پیروز is on the path to success [1-99] علامت پیروز is on the path to success [1-99] علامت پیروز is on the path to success [1-99] علامت پیروز is on the path to success [1-99] علامت پیروز is on the path to success [1-99]
Here is a link to Project Gutenberg's audio books, Art of War by Sunzi (SunTzu).

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/20594

I've found it works great as a MP3 listened to on an iPod, while driving in a car over distance. Or while traveling on an airplane.
Old 28 Nov 11, 09:26
Private First Class
United_States

stukoke is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torien View Post
All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I am one of those who think that the teachings of Sun Tzu can be applied to many fields of study.
I agree that we should take the lessons of Sun Tsu and apply them as best we can, but do not discount other lessons that history's war masters have taught us.
Old 30 Nov 11, 22:49
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stukoke View Post
I agree that we should take the lessons of Sun Tsu and apply them as best we can, but do not discount other lessons that history's war masters have taught us.
Very good point. Could probably be stated about every book...
Old 02 Dec 11, 21:32
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign 

Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
I had to read it a few years ago for work. It was kind of like reading the Book of Five Rings. It didn't make a lot of sense to me the first time reading.
Old 03 Dec 11, 07:41
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
It's one of those books you have to keep going back to, like On War and Jomini's Art of War. Book of Five Rings I re-read the other weak, at least some of it's 'books'/chapters. I think Sunzi's Art of war is more understandible though

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules
Old 04 Dec 11, 10:41
First Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

scottmanning is on the path to success [1-99] scottmanning is on the path to success [1-99] scottmanning is on the path to success [1-99] scottmanning is on the path to success [1-99] scottmanning is on the path to success [1-99]
I have returned to Sun Tzu several times throughout the years. As I get older, I find that he offers the most succinct, timeless analysis of warfare.

It is hard to come up with a favorite, but currently, the following passage strikes me:

Quote:
"Anciently those called skilled in war conquered an enemy easily conquered. And therefore the victories won by a master of war gain him neither reputation for wisdom nor merit for valour."
- The Art of War, VI.10-11
There is a lot to digest here, but Sun Tzu stresses elsewhere that the true mastery of war is to win without fighting. When we think of great commanders of history, we often associate them with grand victories on the battlefield. Yet, Sun Tzu believes the true masters of war won victories that seemed so easy, we hardly notice them. This was due to the commander putting his troops in a position to win, as opposed to slugging it out on the battlefield.

So were the greatest victories of someone like Napoleon at battles like Austerlitz (1805) or Friedland (1807) where he confronted armies and beat them on the battlefield? Or was it during a campaign like Ulm (1805) where he outmaneuvered an army and hardly had to fight to defeat it? I believe it was the latter and so would Sun Tzu.
Old 06 Aug 12, 20:31
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
A free e-book.

The Art of War

By: Sun Tzu c. 554 BC c. 496 BC

The Art of War is a Chinese military treatise written during the 6th century BC by Sun Tzu. Composed of 13 chapters, each of which is devoted to one aspect of warfare, it has long been praised as the definitive work on military strategies and tactics of its time. Translated by Lionel Giles.

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/boo...war-by-sun-tzu

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Sponsored Links

Old 26 Aug 12, 00:14
Private First Class
Canada

georgepatton is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
The Art of War

By: Sun Tzu c. 554 BC c. 496 BC

The Art of War is a Chinese military treatise written during the 6th century BC by Sun Tzu. Composed of 13 chapters, each of which is devoted to one aspect of warfare, it has long been praised as the definitive work on military strategies and tactics of its time. Translated by Lionel Giles.

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/boo...war-by-sun-tzu
Thank you! I look really forward to reading this today!
Old 26 Aug 12, 00:15
General
France

Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100]
We have no clue if Sun Tzu even existed.
Old 26 Aug 12, 23:34
Private First Class
Canada

georgepatton is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
We have no clue if Sun Tzu even existed.
Well, I'm pretty sure that he did

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Tzu
http://scienceofstrategy.org/main/content/sun-tzus-life
Old 01 Sep 12, 11:09
Sergeant Major
UK

calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99]
The book itself is so surprisingly small but incredibly good
Old 01 Sep 12, 11:29
General
France

Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100]
There is a HUGE controversey over his eru existence. All we have is "his" book ehich may not be his.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!