StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Research, Reference and Historical Study > Science

Notices and Announcements

Science Discussions about hard science.

Old 29 Nov 09, 22:25
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechampainer View Post
I found an excellent web site for language learning. It is helpful to me in trying to learn German. It is provided by an American woman who was a French major in college and continues to work in and study languages. There are a total of 15 languages with varying levels of tutorials. The web site is called Indo-European Languages. Also a very good section on linguistics, including phonetics.

http://www.ielanguages.com/languages.html
Thanks for this. I actually have a need to learn German and was going to pay for a course. This should do just fine.
Old 30 Nov 09, 07:18
Brigadier General
Germany
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300]
I learned Japanese with this website:

http://smart.fm/

They have german lessons too I think. Other than that you can download iTunes, change your country to "germany" in the "shop" and then get all kinds of free german podcasts to listen to the pronounciation. Did the same thing with japan.
Flammenden Blick.
Old 08 Dec 09, 16:22
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
I found another interesting web site:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com...-learning.html

Last edited by lakechampainer; 08 Dec 09 at 16:24..
Old 09 Dec 09, 08:24
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Another web site - I guess looking for interesting web sites is easier than actually working on learning German.

http://linguistlist.org/sp/LangAnalysis.html
Old 11 Dec 09, 05:33
General of the Forums
United_States

Article from the BBC about a new Spanish Dictionary that is meant to show Spanish as spoken throughout the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8407231.stm
Sponsored Links

Old 11 Dec 09, 06:27
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
They didn't sound that different to me. I get a half at best. Picked NE male for what was NJ.

I spent a lot of time in the South and nobody is going to get me to believe that someone from south Alabama talks the same as someone from Texas. Native born Hooisers sound a lot like people from TN and not like people from Ohio.

The strip of western PA/WV/MD was classified as Western PA dialtic.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 11 Dec 09, 08:29
General of the Forums
United_States

An interesting article from the BBC discussing behavior observed in monkeys that is thought to be related to the behavior that helped lead to human speech.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8405806.stm
Old 11 Dec 09, 17:01
Captain
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Zemlekop has demonstrated strength of character [100] Zemlekop has demonstrated strength of character [100] Zemlekop has demonstrated strength of character [100] Zemlekop has demonstrated strength of character [100] Zemlekop has demonstrated strength of character [100] Zemlekop has demonstrated strength of character [100] Zemlekop has demonstrated strength of character [100] Zemlekop has demonstrated strength of character [100] Zemlekop has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Another accents site

This one was buried way deep in my bookmarks, but I finally found it

The Speech Accent Archive

Quote:
The speech accent archive uniformly presents a large set of speech samples from a variety of language backgrounds. Native and non-native speakers of English read the same paragraph and are carefully transcribed. The archive is used by people who wish to compare and analyze the accents of different English speakers.
Old 20 Dec 09, 07:55
General of the Forums
United_States

Another interesting website, particularly about the potential future of the English language:

http://www.putlearningfirst.com/lang...ge/future.html

Last edited by lakechampainer; 20 Dec 09 at 08:13..
Old 31 Dec 09, 00:18
General of the Forums
United_States

Another web site

An interesting web site about prefixes and suffixes in the English language. The two games are kind of fun.

http://www.prefixsuffix.com/
Old 23 Jan 10, 07:58
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechampainer View Post
I found an excellent web site for language learning. It is helpful to me in trying to learn German. It is provided by an American woman who was a French major in college and continues to work in and study languages. There are a total of 15 languages with varying levels of tutorials. The web site is called Indo-European Languages. Also a very good section on linguistics, including phonetics.

http://www.ielanguages.com/languages.html
I found a great website for learning German which is a link from the above ielanguages.com website. It is from a professor from the University of Wisconsin. It has materials for 4 college semester courses, including a lot of interesting supplemental material. I find this very helpful when used in conjunction with what I have been doing, which is using the Deutsche Welle
course and using books from the $2.98 used book store. Her website is as follows:

http://www.nthuleen.com/index.html

I assume the ielanguages website has similar helpful links for the other languages it covers, which includes the major European languages.
Old 01 Feb 10, 12:19
General of the Forums
United_States

Questions regarding Learning Languages

I'm trying to learn German as a hobby as I continue to have excess time on my hands. I think I am on the borderline of advanced beginner/early intermediate, probably being somewhere intermediate in reading but definitely still a beginner in terms of language production. The first big roadblock I had to get through was not thinking of French words, since I had french for four years (by tenth grade I was a C student as I was too lazy to study) and I did some self-study in my twenties when I sometimes went to Montreal on business (I got to the point of being able to read the paper fairly easily, but could never really engage in a conversation).

The roadblock I'm hitting now is being able to really learn the verbs with prefixes that are not closely related to the base verb. Any advice from anyone who learned German as a second language on this specific issue?

Recognizing there are many, many experts on languages on Armchair General, many English speakers who learned in Defense schools or elsewhere, and obviously many non first language English speakers who obviously by their posts have learned English very well, I have a few questions. So some questions, please feel free to answer some or all or give any advice:

1. For the non-native English speakers: What did you find hardest about learning the language? What stage did you find hardest on way to being able to communicate/being fluent?

It seems to me that one of the things that must make it difficult is the spelling, which is so non-phonetic.

2. For anyone who has learned any languages, what did you find hardest and why?

3. For any English speakers who learned Russian, what did you find easiest/hardest about the process?

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited by lakechampainer; 01 Feb 10 at 12:21..
Old 25 Feb 10, 08:05
General of the Forums
United_States

Interesting web site about Switzerland. Contains a good section on the languages of Switzerland as part of it. Also interesting to compare English, German, French, Italian (and Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Japanese).

http://www.swissworld.org/gen

Last edited by lakechampainer; 25 Feb 10 at 08:08..
Old 20 Mar 10, 13:05
General of the Forums
United_States

Interesting posting on "World language" from Mario Pei

Attached is an interesting website I found that was linked to the Wikipedia article on Mario Pei, a famous linguist who worked for the US Army during WW II, and wrote a number of books. He was a proponent of the use of Esperanto as a "bridge" language between peoples. The posting is from a long article he wrote about 50 years ago discussing issues relating to a potential world language, including the pros and cons of languages he identified as potential candidates.

http://miresperanto.narod.ru/biblioteko/pei.htm
Old 19 Apr 10, 11:04
General of the Forums
United_States

website on reading and understanding Archaic English (like Shakespeare's time):

http://www.unilang.org/wiki/index.ph...h#Introduction

This web site also has other interesting features, including good glossaries on grammar and phonetics

Last edited by lakechampainer; 19 Apr 10 at 11:07..
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!