StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Research, Reference and Historical Study > Science

Notices and Announcements

Science Discussions about hard science.

Old 13 Nov 09, 06:42
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Linguistics Web Site

For anyone interested in linguistics, I found a great Web site, which is run by the Max Plank Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. It is called the World Atlas of Language Structures Online:

http://wals.info/index
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 13 Nov 09, 06:53
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechampainer View Post
For anyone interested in linguistics, I found a great Web site, which is run by the Max Plank Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. It is called the World Atlas of Language Structures Online:

http://wals.info/index
That is cool!

Mapping the evolution of language.
Old 13 Nov 09, 08:15
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Another Web Site: Identify American dialects

I also found an interesting site on American Dialects last night. It has twelve speakers on it. I thought I was good at this, but I only got 3 of the twelve right: the New England male who sounded just like me, the Mid-Atlantic/New York male who sounded just like some people I knew in college, and the Northern/Great Lakes female who sounded like some women I used to know. I didn't even get the New England female. I was surprised I had no clue on Southern, since I spent some time in Atlanta when I was younger.

I went to college in Pittsburgh. It and much of Pennsylvania and West Virginia is not on the map. Also not on the map is Florida and a strip of the Plains heading roughly from the Western Dakotas south through Western Nebraska and Kansas down to the Mexican border. Is this roughly the line where farming can take place year-to-year without irrigation?

The website is http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/am...s/map/map.html
Old 13 Nov 09, 09:37
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thanks for these links, Gentlemen. Language is another of my varied interests. This is fun!
Old 13 Nov 09, 09:40
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I also found an interesting site on American Dialects last night. It has twelve speakers on it. I thought I was good at this, but I only got 3 of the twelve right: the New England male who sounded just like me, the Mid-Atlantic/New York male who sounded just like some people I knew in college, and the Northern/Great Lakes female who sounded like some women I used to know. I didn't even get the New England female. I was surprised I had no clue on Southern, since I spent some time in Atlanta when I was younger.

I went to college in Pittsburgh. It and much of Pennsylvania and West Virginia is not on the map. Also not on the map is Florida and a strip of the Plains heading roughly from the Western Dakotas south through Western Nebraska and Kansas down to the Mexican border. Is this roughly the line where farming can take place year-to-year without irrigation?

The website is http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/am...s/map/map.html
I don't think there's really a demarcation line; but non-irrigated crop lands are certainly more prevalent east of that line and agriculture would be very difficult without irrigation to the west.

I have a National Geographic Historical Atlas of the United States; one of the sections traces the development of regional dialects. I found it very interesting because I grew up in Connecticut, but my Dad and his family were from northern Florida. So I developed a hybrid dialect. Most people tell me that I don't have a discernible accent; but I use an odd variety of slang words.
Old 13 Nov 09, 09:48
General of the Forums
Pirate

I score an F-...

West 1/2
South 2/2
Midland 1/2
North 0/2
New England 0/2
Mid-Atlantic 0/2

4/12... 33%
Old 13 Nov 09, 09:49
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I only had 2 of the 12 correct! But the one sentence only was very hard to determine. And I think they purposely mislead with the content.
Old 13 Nov 09, 09:56
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torien View Post
I only had 2 of the 12 correct! But the one sentence only was very hard to determine. And I think they purposely mislead with the content.
Both of my correct answers for West and Midland were WAG's...
Old 13 Nov 09, 10:06
General of the Forums
United_States
SPQR Campaign 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Both of my correct answers for West and Midland were WAG's...
I was certain that I had all 12 correct when I pressed "Submit"!

Boy, was I wrong.
Old 13 Nov 09, 10:08
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torien View Post
I was certain that I had all 12 correct when I pressed "Submit"!

Boy, was I wrong.
All but 2 sounded like Yankees to me...
Sponsored Links

Old 13 Nov 09, 11:36
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Good grief! I actually got half of them right, using the SWAG technique!

Fascintating stuff, LC.
Old 14 Nov 09, 16:47
General of the Forums
United_States

Interesting article on the Germanic languages. Says that about 30% of the words in the Germanic languages have no related word in any other Indo-European language.

http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/ency...ts_of_Germanic
Old 14 Nov 09, 17:51
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Interesting article on the Germanic languages. Says that about 30% of the words in the Germanic languages have no related word in any other Indo-European language.

http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/ency...ts_of_Germanic
On the other hand, words in Indo-European have no counterparts in German.

Not too surprising. A lot of languages have unique phrases, words and terms.
Old 15 Nov 09, 20:58
General of the Forums
United_States

Website on North American Indian Languages

Interesting website on North American Indian Languages. I'm interested in Abanaki Indians, as they were in the Vermont/Quebec borderlands my mother's father's people were from (of New France extraction). I have no knowledge that I have Indian blood in me, but I would be proud if I did. Does anyone have knowledge if there was substantial intermarriage in Quebec between Europeans and Natives before 1850, anything like say for example on the US/Colonial frontier as it moved West?

http://www.native-languages.org/

Last edited by lakechampainer; 15 Nov 09 at 21:02..
Old 29 Nov 09, 19:49
General of the Forums
United_States

Excellent web site for language learning

I found an excellent web site for language learning. It is helpful to me in trying to learn German. It is provided by an American woman who was a French major in college and continues to work in and study languages. There are a total of 15 languages with varying levels of tutorials. The web site is called Indo-European Languages. Also a very good section on linguistics, including phonetics.

http://www.ielanguages.com/languages.html

Last edited by lakechampainer; 29 Nov 09 at 19:59..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!