StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Russia, Central Asia, and The Caucasus > South Ossetian Conflict

Notices and Announcements

South Ossetian Conflict Discuss the conflict between Georgia and Russia over South Ossetia.

Old 03 Oct 09, 22:32
Recruit
United_States

ThereIsOnlyWar is a balanced individual [0]
EU report: Georgian attack started war with Russia

Not sure if people are still following this, but I figured some might find this interesting.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...6etqQD9B1N8381

Or, for those who prefer a bit more gloating in their news pieces:

http://exiledonline.com/the-czar-of-...mes-toldja-so/

Anyway, enjoy.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 04 Oct 09, 09:02
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Sami
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
The report itself.

http://www.ceiig.ch/Report.html

Max Sterner
Old 04 Oct 09, 12:03
Gunnery Sergeant
Russia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

xiong is on the path to success [1-99] xiong is on the path to success [1-99] xiong is on the path to success [1-99]
With this report finally out, I believe this South Ossetian Conflict sub-forum should be removed from Current Events.
Old 04 Oct 09, 16:53
General of the Forums
United_States

craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
thanks for the report Erkki been looking for it.

btw did the report change anyones mind or present any new evidence.
Or glaring errors.
Old 05 Oct 09, 22:11
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiong View Post
With this report finally out, I believe this South Ossetian Conflict sub-forum should be removed from Current Events.
Any recommendation for a history section to put it in?
Old 06 Oct 09, 02:14
Banned
Russia

stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiong View Post
this South Ossetian Conflict sub-forum should be removed
- i second that .
Old 07 Oct 09, 14:23
Major General
Estonia
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by craven View Post
thanks for the report Erkki been looking for it.

btw did the report change anyones mind or present any new evidence.
Or glaring errors.
Not really. Unfortunately they didn't do much independent research as I was hoping. It looks like they just gathered material from the sides and interviewed some higher officials. I was expecting for a more hands on approach with witness interviews and more access to actual intel material (I guess the latter was an unreasonable expectation, as I doubt neither side is willing to disclose anything that might jeopardize future operations).

AP for example did not include the qualifier present in the report that the shelling would have been legal if it was found that SO was bombarding the villages or that Russian troops had in fact initiated the invasion. Two critical facts which they say they don't have sufficient information to determine. Other such important questions left unanswered is whether Georgians attacked the Russian troops in SO first or vice versa.

The report is a good collection of claims made by both sides and the relevant legal arguments. Thanks Erkki for digging it up.
Old 09 Oct 09, 16:29
Gunnery Sergeant
Russia

xiong is on the path to success [1-99] xiong is on the path to success [1-99] xiong is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widow Maker View Post
Any recommendation for a history section to put it in?
Sorry, no idea. Let the moders decide. Maybe create something like Post-Cold War conflicts in Europe?
Old 10 Oct 09, 12:59
General of the Forums
United_States

craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp(est) View Post
Not really. Unfortunately they didn't do much independent research as I was hoping. It looks like they just gathered material from the sides and interviewed some higher officials. I was expecting for a more hands on approach with witness interviews and more access to actual intel material (I guess the latter was an unreasonable expectation, as I doubt neither side is willing to disclose anything that might jeopardize future operations).

AP for example did not include the qualifier present in the report that the shelling would have been legal if it was found that SO was bombarding the villages or that Russian troops had in fact initiated the invasion. Two critical facts which they say they don't have sufficient information to determine. Other such important questions left unanswered is whether Georgians attacked the Russian troops in SO first or vice versa.

The report is a good collection of claims made by both sides and the relevant legal arguments. Thanks Erkki for digging it up.
I agree about the independent research.
The things I got from this is the Russians fail to keep the peace ie shelling of Georgia and then failed to prevent the seperatist from committing bad acts after repelling Georgian forces.

Everything else it pretty convoluted. Although I did find the stuff about how Russia was violating international laws with passports and such interesting since I never knew half of those things were laws. (btw that not russian bashing there I just found all the rules and justisfications interesting.)

I also think they did a decent job of trying to raise the bar for charges of genocide which I see thrown around way to much.

Once again thanks Erikki
Old 13 Oct 09, 15:20
Gunnery Sergeant
Russia

Quote:
I agree about the independent research.
The things I got from this is the Russians fail to keep the peace ie shelling of Georgia and then failed to prevent the seperatist from committing bad acts after repelling Georgian forces.

Everything else it pretty convoluted. Although I did find the stuff about how Russia was violating international laws with passports and such interesting since I never knew half of those things were laws. (btw that not russian bashing there I just found all the rules and justisfications interesting.)

I also think they did a decent job of trying to raise the bar for charges of genocide which I see thrown around way to much.

Once again thanks Erikki
From your post it looks like you were specifically looking for evidence against Russia. "Whoever looks for something, will always find something" as a Russian proverb goes.

For example, the shelling was certainly two-way (S.O -> G and G -> S.O.). How was the joint (mind you) peacekeeping force stationed in S.O. meant to prevent shelling from G.?
Sponsored Links

Old 13 Oct 09, 20:39
General of the Forums
United_States

No most of the stuff against Russia I just wrote off to nit picking I did not see a lot of stuff against Georgia in the Report that can not be considered nit picking.

The shelling as I understand came mainly from the Ossetians with replies from Georgia. So if Russia would of stoped the shelling from the Ossetian then Georgia would not shelled Ossetia. That my understanding of situation. In general I think the Russian peace keepers should not of been there and Russia allowed Georgia to deal with a internal issue as it saw fit as Russia did in Chechnya.

The failure of the Russian army to try and protect all civilians no matter there back ground was a major failure on their part after invading. If they did protect ethinic Georgians I did not see it in the report.
Old 14 Oct 09, 17:25
Banned
Russia

stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200] stalin is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
if Russia would of stoped the shelling from the Ossetian then Georgia would not shelled Ossetia
- and you think the Ossetians would have stopped there shelling if told to ?
Old 14 Oct 09, 17:40
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalin View Post
- and you think the Ossetians would have stopped there shelling if told to ?

I thought that was the job of the peace keeper to prevent violence. So tell them or jail and hand them over to the courts.

Last edited by GCoyote; 20 Oct 09 at 02:16.. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 14 Oct 09, 19:18
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Sami
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:

I thought that was the job of the peace keeper to prevent violence. So tell them or jail and hand them over to the courts.
Hmm what was the Georgian part of the Peace keepers doing?
Strangely I havenīt heard to much about them, maybe I just didnīt listen well enough. And honestly... I havenīt read the entire report yet, is there any comments made by them in there?

Max Sterner
Old 15 Oct 09, 07:57
Banned
Russia

Quote:
tell them or jail and hand them over to the courts
- they undoubtedly would do so, had the Georgians not attacked in return.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!