HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 13 Oct 09, 15:46
Brigadier General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
Thanks for the informative review

Good to hear that most the bugs from the campaign are no longer present. That was my main concern, and probably the only reason i didn't buy it straight after playing the demo.
When 1.03 came along most seem to have disappeared. Manhattan, the buggiest mission which often crashed in earlier versions, never crashed with me in v1.03. However, there were still a couple major bugs that I remember, the arty support in Manhattan disappeared after a period of time (IIRC) and someone you had to eliminate in a later mission was invincible. There were other minor bugs that I can't remember.

I don't know if these problems were fixed in the latest patch. The campaign took me a bit to do so I don't fancy having another go at it now.

The thing about the games that BIS design is that they are like a lottery when it comes to bugs and errors. In the Manhattan mission for example, the Cpt. at the FOB sometimes dies randomly. However, I never came upon that problem.

I also forgot to mention that the AI in ArmA 2 can be extremely impressive, such as taking cover, suppressing and flanking. When it comes to driving it is horrible. However, when a female character is in the driving seat it suddenly becomes realistic.
Quote:
I think i'll keep playing the demo for a while longer and see how addicted i get.
I think that's the best solution.

Quote:
Hopefully the team keep releasing patches and fixes. Looking forward to Operation Arrowhead too, with both games i should be sorted for realistic shooters .
DR could get to a good level (tactical FPS wise) if CM support it with patches that bring major improvements and additions. I know they will be supporting it with DLC, though. But that means that we might not see the mod tools for quite some time. Like we are seeing with Empire Total War at the moment.
Old 13 Oct 09, 16:14
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Sami
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I didnīt have any major problems with Manhattan... But I get a feeling that some triggers doesnīt go off, or at the wrong time...

Oh Lord, won't you send down the pain?
I'm ready to suffer again.

Those Poor Bastards - Open wounds
Old 13 Oct 09, 16:22
Brigadier General
UK

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Oops! Yeah, that's what I meant, it didn't crash, like when the Hind got shot down when it came to pick up the prisoner but it didn't register with the game and you had to execute them.

By the way, did you notice?

http://radikal.ru/F/s15.radikal.ru/i...d931a.jpg.html
Old 13 Oct 09, 16:25
Sami

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Ah yes! I remember now, she didnīt want to board the damned hind, so I accidentally run over her with a LAV-25...

Liberation mod for Arma II... did I die and go to heaven?

I am not up to date with the community... Well I still check out OFP.info sometimes. The computer I use at the dormitory canīt handle Arma

Old 13 Oct 09, 17:53
Brigadier General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
Ah yes! I remember now, she didnīt want to board the damned hind, so I accidentally run over her with a LAV-25...

Liberation mod for Arma II... did I die and go to heaven?
If they include their armour penetration from OFP then yes!

Quote:
I am not up to date with the community... Well I still check out OFP.info sometimes. The computer I use at the dormitory canīt handle Arma
But you can use OFP?
Old 14 Oct 09, 06:57
Sami

Yes, barely... my 40 GB addons collection is a bit hard for it. I donīt have it installed, had a crash and hasnīt bothered to re-install it yet.

Old 14 Oct 09, 12:25
General of the Forums
Israel
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Manhattan is when I grind to a halt.
If it's fixed I might download the patch and give it another go, when there's time again...

Is liberation ready for download already?what's it's status..?
Old 14 Oct 09, 13:22
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400] Leftie has a spectacular aura about [400]
I bought ARMA 2 on release and was initially disappointed with the bugs and the poor optimization. I came back to it last week and have been playing non stop.

The game is flawed but it offers many possibilities that I haven't seen in other games.

For example, last night I spent 3 hours in the editor and playing around testing my designs. I put about 300 enemy troops on an airfield and practiced mowing them down with every weapon system available.

I found out small arms can take down helos if you hit them in the right spot. You can get pilot kills or hit the rotor enough times. However the easiest way is to aim for the tail rotor. It seems to go out the fastest.

I wrote some scripts out (with a tutorial) and placed 15 Howitzers on the map with radio link to my guy. I practiced destroying troops in the open with Willie Pete, Armor of all sorts, destroying entire villages, hell I even managed to hit a helo with an arty round once.

I made myself a civilian and pit 100 Force Recon Marines against 100 Russian Special Force Troopers. I watched the entire firefight and when I got bored I ran through to see if I would get hit in the cross fire (you do).

The game is like a big sandbox. If you can come up with an idea, chances are you can make it happen. The toolset is powerful and there are already tons of mods and missions the users have created.

Overall I am enjoying myself. Like I said, the game is flawed but it has a lot of potential and the online games are pretty fun to boot.

Ben
Old 15 Oct 09, 01:51
Sergeant Major
UK
Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
I bought ARMA 2 on release and was initially disappointed with the bugs and the poor optimization. I came back to it last week and have been playing non stop.
Sounds like i picked the perfect time to be getting into this game.
Good to hear more people (eventually) praising the game. Sounds like the devs aim to please, even if it does take a while...

Quote:
The game is flawed but it offers many possibilities that I haven't seen in other games.
That is my main attraction to ARMA also. Dragon Rising is more focused around infantry battles and most of the game is played on foot, and in the set squad.
In ARMA 2 (even just the demo) i can set up very elaborate missions and give myself a wide variety of roles.
I could make myself the commander who sits back at base barking orders, or the sniper who covers the team from up in the forest on the hills as they advance on the village, or perhaps i could come in by heli midway through the battle to provide support, or tank.
The options are pretty limitless, and as you say, the tools make it all very quick and easy to set up.

All the testing of weapons you mention, and "what if" type scenarios (being a civ, etc..) will be high on my to-do list when i finally get the game.
With such an extensive armory and all the air/land vehicles, i should be kept busy for a long time, and that'll be before i even get started with the campaign.

Quote:
The toolset is powerful and there are already tons of mods and missions the users have created.
There certainly isn't a shortage of user made missions out there, i've already found a few i want to play.
Haven't started looking at mods yet though, i'll try to get through the game before i add/change things about it.

I've started comparing prices, but i'll wait and see how it runs on my new comp which should be arriving any day now.

I do have one question that i can't seem to find a direct answer for - Are ghillie suits available, out of the box? Or are they a part of a mod someone has put together?
They aren't available in the demo mission editor (or i can't find them) but i've seen alot of pics/vids with players using them.
Old 15 Oct 09, 08:38
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Gorque is simply cracking [600]
Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600]
I've been watching this thread for a while and as a past ArmA player am wondering if ArmA 2 has a root-kit as the original U.S. version of ArmA did?

EDIT: Nevermind the question. I see Arma2 comes with the root-kit SecurROM 7.

Last edited by Gorque; 15 Oct 09 at 12:47..
Sponsored Links

Old 16 Oct 09, 08:45
Brigadier General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
I do have one question that i can't seem to find a direct answer for - Are ghillie suits available, out of the box? Or are they a part of a mod someone has put together?
They aren't available in the demo mission editor (or i can't find them) but i've seen alot of pics/vids with players using them.
The sniper is equipped with a ghillie suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorque View Post
I've been watching this thread for a while and as a past ArmA player am wondering if ArmA 2 has a root-kit as the original U.S. version of ArmA did?

EDIT: Nevermind the question. I see Arma2 comes with the root-kit SecurROM 7.
In one of the later ArmA patches BIS removed the copy protection, like they did with OFP.

I assume they will do the same with ArmA 2 at some point.
Old 16 Oct 09, 09:27
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600] Gorque is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -snafu- View Post
In one of the later ArmA patches BIS removed the copy protection, like they did with OFP.

I assume they will do the same with ArmA 2 at some point.
But in the mean time it may wreak havoc with your burners and/or virtual drives.

I think I'll pass until a clean DVD is available for sale.

It's really a shame when a software company treats it's license holders as thieves.
Old 17 Oct 09, 14:45
General of the Forums
Israel
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Quote:
It's really a shame when a software company treats it's license holders as thieves.
It's more shameful when they deserve such attitude...
Old 17 Oct 09, 16:55
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
It's more shameful when they deserve such attitude...
I don't know about you, but I pay for all my games, therefor I like to be treated as a validated licensee and not as a thief.
Old 17 Oct 09, 22:57
ACG Forums - General Staff
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I don't know about you, but I pay for all my games, therefor I like to be treated as a validated licensee and not as a thief.
I agree totally, and every bit of software in my household is genuine. However, piracy is rife and it is just about impossible for the software producer to predict who is going to be honest and who isn't. This is not to say that I necessarily agree with all forms of copy protection but I understand why they are trying to do it.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!