HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 26 Sep 09, 00:11
Banned
Armchair_General

Vita is on the path to success [1-99] Vita is on the path to success [1-99]
Age Of Empires 4

Is it coming sometime in future? When do you think it will made?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 27 Sep 09, 20:26
Colonel
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Ensemble Studios, the creators of the Age of Empires series and expansions, shut down some time ago. There will never be an Age of Empires 4...
Old 27 Sep 09, 20:50
Banned
Armchair_General

Vita is on the path to success [1-99] Vita is on the path to success [1-99]
Yeah I know what you mean. Maybe the Robot Ent will make it, I don't know. I think that some of the people who were in the ES may continue to keep the series and expansions alive sometime in the future. I know that some of them want to!
Old 27 Sep 09, 22:56
General of the Forums
United_States
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conlin View Post
Ensemble Studios, the creators of the Age of Empires series and expansions, shut down some time ago. There will never be an Age of Empires 4...
but Microsoft Game Studios is still alive (their parent company) and Big Huge Games still has the know-how to do this.

These were valuable franchises and it simply defies logic to let it go away.

I would hope they revisit the past ages. Or really step up with the game-engine and do a full Napoleonic war game.

OK, now I'm just dreaming...
Old 28 Sep 09, 00:25
Sergeant Major
UK
Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
I highly doubt we have seen the end of Age of Empires.

If anything the rights will just be sold to an entirely new company who realises the potential for more money to be made from the die-hard fans.
Old 28 Sep 09, 01:11
Major
United_States
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

RepublicanGuard is on the path to success [1-99] RepublicanGuard is on the path to success [1-99] RepublicanGuard is on the path to success [1-99] RepublicanGuard is on the path to success [1-99] RepublicanGuard is on the path to success [1-99] RepublicanGuard is on the path to success [1-99] RepublicanGuard is on the path to success [1-99]
This is what they were going for so I doubt they'll end the franchise just yet.
Old 28 Sep 09, 09:01
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
I did NOT care for the Age of Empires game in the PC form, but really DID like it as a Nintendo DS release as Age of Kings and also Mythology.

It's got a lot of fans in one form or another. Hopefully someone feels like continuing to get use out of the fan base.
But I still get to make models :)
Old 28 Sep 09, 23:13
Colonel
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Something like...Age of Empires 4: World Wars... Well, yeah, there's a lot of potential, but whoever is going to take the franchise and expand on it ought to look back at the success and failures of the past games...

However, there is something that might grab someone's interest: Linky
Old 29 Sep 09, 09:47
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
The only problem with furthering the series is the inevitable sameness issue.

Age of Empires is barely different from Rise of Nations to some extent.

And grand strategy in real time has been rather pounded on in recent years.

In order to get a game design to be special, there needs to be some very unique aspects to the setting.
But I still get to make models :)
Old 19 Nov 09, 04:43
Lance Corporal
Poland

Memnon_Soter is on the path to success [1-99]
Well, I think that AOE series needs new blood. In general standsrd RTS will come to the end. There are very few new titles appear. Future is in new gemes like Total War series!
Sponsored Links

Old 09 Feb 12, 14:16
Private First Class
United_States

tremujin is on the path to success [1-99]
IMO no RTS will ever beat AOE2 and its expansion. I have played all the strategy games star crafts, civs, rise of nations, total wars, etc. Age of Empires 2 had the winning formula enough to keep the strats changing and not too much like Civ that you could pick it up quickly.

Age of Empires 3 was a mistake and really a let down for me.
Old 24 Apr 12, 09:54
First Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99]
Check out a game called 0 ad. It was originally started as a mod for AoE2 but was then developed using its own system.

It is tons of fun and feels like an AoE game. And it is totally free! Really an amazing job they've done. It is not fully finished yet but they are making progress and there is enough finished to play.
Old 11 Jun 12, 23:11
Private
Canada

magisterequitum is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremujin View Post
Age of Empires 3 was a mistake and really a let down for me.
Yea, I don't know what it was about AOE3, but it just didn't seem to have the same re-play value as the other AOE games. Still a good game but I didn't think it lived up to all the hype.
Old 12 Jun 12, 21:37
Brigadier General
United_States

Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200]
Age of Empires I is still my favorite AOE game. But. I was also a fan of Command & Conquer series. AOE4 might just end up being a C&C remake. Comparing Total War series and Civilization series to AOE series is comparing apples to oranges to bananas. They are each in their own strategy genre.
Old 13 Jun 12, 01:35
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
Personally I loved Age of Empires 2, may well have been the most brilliant fun I've had on a PC. AOE I was ok, but I never really got into it and AOE III...well, by that time I had sort of drifted from the AOE series and PC gaming in general.

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!