HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War > Indochina 1945-1954

Notices and Announcements

Indochina 1945-1954 The Battle for Indochina, 1945-1954.

Old 18 Sep 09, 15:50
Marshal of ACG - XO
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankg View Post
Boonierat,

Go ahead and add me to the thread. I'ts a pleasure to talk to a bunch of old graying guys who "have been there". All of my pictures were taken with a camera used for S-2 work so they aren't of the best quality and I'm not computer literate enough to get the on a website, sorry.

Best regards,

Hankg
No worries Hank Need a bit more details about your tour to add you to the map, where was 3/9 basecamp during your tour? Vandegrift? Dong Ha? Also what are the dates of your tour? (month/year).

Also I'm curious, did you leave Vietnam when 3/9 was redeployed or were your reassigned to another unit to finish your time?
Old 18 Sep 09, 20:25
Private
United_States

hankg is on the path to success [1-99]
Cemetary for French soldiers

Boonierat,

I arrived in Vietnam in late 68. I was sent to Quang Tri after coming into the airport at Danang. I was assigned to 3/9 and went into the field with the Headquarters unit for about a week to get acclimatized. Once there I was assigned to an 81 mm mortar platoon as an Assistant Platoon Commander, I had 4 tubes and the Platoon Commander had 4 tubes. After getting used to the bush in that roll, I was sent to India Company, 3/9 as 1st Platoon Commander.

I served as 1st platoon commander from the start of the Monsoon until after Operation Dewey Canyon at which time I was asked if I wanted to take a "provisional platoon" made up of men from each platoon of 3/9 and guard the Commanding Generals compound at III Mav. It was supposed to be an R&R type thing because of the success of Dewey Canyon. I was senior lieut. in the company and I'd come so close to death so many times on that operation, that I took the job. There were other operations before and after Dewey Canyon, but that was the most brutal.

I had gone into the Ashau Valley with 40 men and came out with 20, and that was with replacements. We carried the bodies of dead Marines for days because the fighting was so intense at times, the powers that be would'nt risk loosing helicopters to remove the dead and wounded. We ran out of food for a week because the fog was so thick, we could'nt be re supplied. Buggy rice tastes really good if that's all you've got.

I left with a provisional platoon when 3/9 was pulled out and returned to Okinawa where I took over as Company Commander of India 3/9. I was stationed on Okinawa for a few weeks when orders came down that we had to get Marines to the cold weather training area at the base of Mt. Fuji in Japan or we would loose the permit to train there. India along with a battery of 155 self propelled howitzers embarked for Fuji a week later. I rotated back to the states from there where I took over H&S Company 1/2 at Camp Lejeune N.C.. There you have it. I haven't gone over this in 39 years|

Hope I didn't use up to much space or time.

Regards to all,

Hankg
Old 19 Sep 09, 01:07
Marshal of ACG - XO
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankg View Post
Hope I didn't use up to much space or time.

Regards to all,

Hankg
Not at all, thanks for sharing your story with us, I've added you to the ACG VN vets map
Old 18 Aug 11, 01:24
Recruit
United_States

avel is a balanced individual [0]
Hi Guys,

I have just discovered this site while Googlin' this very subject. I was stationed at Camp Holloway (Pleiku) '71-72 and flew over the cemetary
and the site of the ambush many times.

The monument that is most referd to is/was a small obilisk on the north side of QL 19 approx. pk15. Most G.I. era photos show it well shot up.
In Jean-Pierre Lucien's book, GM 100, there is a picture of the dedication ceremony that took place just after the cease fire.

I too have "heard" of the posthole digger, standing upright facing France
stories. If someone could send me some kind of reference to that I would really appreciate it. The language, (French Vietnamese or Chinese is not important.

There was a Father Dujohn living in An Khe. He was with the Catholic Mission and oversaw a small concrete culvert operation. He left An Khe with
Gm 100 but remained with Warme-Janville and the wounded. I have always been curious about the roundish shapes of those graves. I am sure the dead were buried in culverts. That would surely explain the standing up story. All speculation on my part.

The Bernier book has IMNSHO the best maps by far of all of the GM 100
activities. Many photos of all the GM notables, pictures taken on Ql 19,
Dak Doa, vehicles, convoys etc.

Should my computer skills improve I will attempt to post some of them.
Old 18 Aug 11, 01:48
Marshal of ACG - XO
South_Vietnam

Welcome to ACG Av!
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!