StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 02 Sep 09, 17:34
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Lightbulb The Ken Jensen Compassionate Soldier Memorial

Aside from all the Atrocities and Collateral damage that happens to civilians in any war, I have found, in my lifetime, that the "American Soldier" performs thousands upon thousands of GOOD DEEDS and HUMANITARIAN acts to, and for, civilians caught up in the wars the Americans fight (no wonder our so called "civilian enemies" become our friends).

For this thread, I would like to see posted some of these GOOD DEEDS that you may be aware of (performed by ANY Army's Soldiers) that took place in South Vietnam for the "common folks". There had to be some POSITIVES that came out of the miserable war. I know of a few. To start off with I'll provide the following:

Because I had several postings related to a little known battle that took place in the village of AN MY on
Feb 1st and 2nd of 1968, I feel we could include the following for “Good Deeds” performed by Soldiers a few months after the battle.

Re-building work at “An My”
http://www.pbase.com/character/image/44107525

Handing out candy at “An My”
http://www.pbase.com/character/image/44107523

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Last edited by Miss Saigon; 19 Aug 12 at 16:48..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 02 Sep 09, 21:58
First Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100] sgnsteve has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I don't know if this guy felt like he was getting help at the time. The 1st Med Battalion of the BRO treated many people and one of the most pleasant duties was to secure the villages that the doctors and dentists were working in.
Old 02 Sep 09, 22:21
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnsteve View Post
I don't know if this guy felt like he was getting help at the time. The 1st Med Battalion of the BRO treated many people and one of the most pleasant duties was to secure the villages that the doctors and dentists were working in.
We made a lot of friends with the locals, often sharing meals and magazines, during such missions. It burns me to no end when those villages were abandoned to the VC when troops were ordered to defend the large cities during the 68 Tet offensive.
Old 03 Sep 09, 00:17
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The 2d Brigade was responsible of pacification and revolutionary development for the 1st Inf Div's TAOR in southern Binh Duong, Steve Park can tell us more about it surely.
Old 03 Sep 09, 02:09
General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600]
Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600] Robbie Lynne is simply cracking [600]

Old 03 Sep 09, 08:28
Banned
Australia

Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0] Chippymick is a balanced individual [0]
A history of “Australian Good deeds” in Vietnam

Occurring long before global warming had been invented, the 1964 Pacific typhoon season was the worst in recorded history with 39 storms for the year. Tropical storm Kate with 90 mph winds deluged the area around Danang in November 1964. A year after Diem’s assassination the military situation had become as bleak as the weather.

The AATTV Commander Ted Serong would write of it:

10 November:

To DA NANG. Raining heavily worst flooding I’ve seen yet in this area. Much loss of life and crops, livestock property damage. Main bridge gone again. VC activity very diminished. Town stunned. Some US rescue activity. VN doing nothing. Tactical situation in I Corps very bad. ARVN lost heart.

Route 1 North of DA NANG (at pass) blocked by landslides, south by water, blown bridges and VC. Recent operations captured a NVN nurse and doctor (Some fool shot him!) I Corps HQ approachable only by boat. The well dressed road traveller in I Corps these days wears a flak jacket. Corps, Div and Sector Staffs rarely leave town now. Prices of commodities in DA NANG trebled.

The Australian advisors at the Dong Da National Training Center near Da Nang involved themselves in the rescue effort. Some of the very first Australian Awards for Gallantry made for the Vietnam War were made in the wake of Typhoon Kate. Warrant Officers John Clarke, Mick Coffey, John McEwan-Ferguson and John Malone were awarded the Queens Commendation for bravery.

Serong’s most famous quote is perhaps “You’ve got to get down in the gutter, in a gutter fight.” Surprisingly for a man with this attitude, by Christmas 1964 he had awarded as many bravery awards for humanitarian efforts as he had for killing the Queens enemies.

This is Mick Coffey’s account from Davies and McKay 'The men who persevered.'

Coffey appears on the far right in this photo taken aboard the My Canh Floating Restaurant in Saigon in May 1965.

He is sitting next to Wally Thompson.

A month after this photo was taken a particularly atrocious act of VC terrorism took place. On June 25th 1965 VC Sappers set off a small charge outside the My Canh restaurant. The effect of the small explosion was to panic the patrons off the barge. The rushing crowd ran headlong into a larger bomb which killed 42 men, women and children and injured 81.

By the time Coffey left Vietnam in May 1965, the first battalion 1 RAR had arrived to form part of the 173rdAB. It was another pipe smoking intellectual, Major Ian MacFarlane who led the charge on Civic action at Bien Hoa.

MacFarlane messing about in boats

MacFarlane the OC of B Company first organised medical and dental assistance to the people of Ong Huong in August 1965. Ong Huong was adopted by 1 RAR and eventually a school and playground were built. Although MacFarlane’s motives were philanthropic there were military advantages to be gained. He did however face criticism. It was thought that civic action would soften the digger’s attitude to killing.

Compassion towards the Vietnamese in the hamlets was seen as taking the edges off the killer instinct and possibly making the diggers hesitant when fighting the Viet Cong in the villages”. MacFarlane assisted by his 2IC Peter Arnison persisted.

1 RAR was replaced in mid 1966 by a two Battalion task force based at Nui Dat in Phuoc Tuy Province. Every Australian Battalion and nearly every major sub-unit attached to the task force and 1 ALSG continued the 1 RAR practice of sponsoring unit civic action projects.

With the establishment of the Task Force, Civil Affairs began to be an organised affair. In early 1966, a nucleus group of ex Australian Army Training Team Vietnam (AATTV) members had formed under Captain Bob Rooney and began carrying out civic action-type projects to assist the local population. Rooney's group was not a formal unit. The group was taken over in mid 1966 by the energetic and flamboyant Major John Donohoe. (You can read the rest of Barry Smith’s 1 Australian Civil Affairs Unit History here.)

That’s Donohoe on the right “The man from W.H.A.M” standing in front of his “W.H.A.M Van”. This was unheard of frivolity in the Australian Army of 1966. That Donohoe was born in Dublin explains much.

Now Ken’s original thread topic asks for examples of GOOD DEEDS and HUMANITARIAN acts performed by ANY Army's Soldiers. Because 1ACAU was a formed unit, I think its organised activities fall outside the personal good works required by Ken. Mick Coffey didn’t have to rescue civilians from drowning, he just did it. Members of 1 ACAU were compelled to assist Vietnamese civilians for what ultimately were military purposes.
Where the members of 1 ACAU motivated by Philanthropy?

I think they were. A visit to their Unit website confirms it. The 1ACAU association currently sponsor two kids involved in World Vision projects: One at the Hien Area Development Project and another from the Bac Binh Area Development Project. They don’t have to but they do.

They go a little bit further, they are supporters of the “Australian Vietnam Volunteers Resource Group” (I think recently renamed from the ‘Vietnam Veterans reconstruction group) ’who are the custodians of the Long Tan Cross and are co-ordinating projects like orphanages and kindergartens in Baria. Their website is here.

That the GOOD DEEDS and HUMANITARIAN acts continue to this day is the proof of the pudding.

Nothing related to the conflict in Vietnam is ever simple. There is a current debate among Australian Veterans as to whether or not an atrocity was committed in the aftermath of an ambush at Thua Tich in 1969. This particular Typhoon Kate in a teacup will soon pass like all those before it.

The Morning after Thua Tich

The District Chief required that the bodies of those killed in the Ambush at Thua Tich be transported to Xuyen Moc and displayed in the market place.

As I understand it the market place at Xuyen Moc was constructed by the Australian Civil Affairs Unit.

Talk about mixed messages.

Cheers to the good guys.

….To be continued, maybe.

Mick
Old 03 Sep 09, 11:15
United_States

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Mick,
Postings such as the above is GOOD! I'm looking for any Individual Soldier and/or formal/non-formal Military Unit good deeds.

The sad parts of your posting was the killing of the captured NVN Doctor and the possible atrocity. I would bet the NVN nurse and doctor were also attempting to provide aid (GOOD DEEDS) to the "ordinary folks" caught up in flood situation.

I feel humanity itself doesn't stop with ideology and/or borders and I hope our "other side" in this conflict can provide us with some GOOD DEEDS and Humanitarian stories that may have been provided by them to Southern Vietnamese folks. Up to this point, I'm only aware of terrible deeds the VC and/or NVA committed against their Southern People during their fight for re-unification.

PLEASE - NO PROPAGANDA STORIES and, for this thread, reduce stories about the killings of civilians whenever you can!

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.
Old 03 Sep 09, 11:37
Major General
Viet_Nam
5 Year Service Ribbon 

altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
Up to this point, I'm only aware of terrible deeds the VC and/or NVA committed against their Southern People during their fight for re-unification.

PLEASE - NO PROPAGANDA STORIES
Well, you see, Ken, part of the problem is, what kind of stories of good deeds on the part of the PAVN/PLAF would you now, A.D. 2009, or your side, during the War, admit as authentic and not propaganda?

I've seen too many efforts in bringing this up concluded by summary verdicts from "your camp": "Oh, everyone know this is staged propaganda!". Do I have to name those on this forum I predict such comments would come from?

Moral headwinds and such? Fair enough. But don't be surprised if we don't bother.
Old 03 Sep 09, 12:54
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by altus View Post
Well, you see, Ken, part of the problem is, what kind of stories of good deeds on the part of the PAVN/PALF would you now, A.D. 2009, or your side, during the War, admit as authentic and not propaganda?

I've seen too many efforts in bringing this up concluded by summary verdicts from "your camp": "Oh, everyone know this is staged propaganda!". Do I have to name those on this forum I predict such comments would come from?

Moral headwinds and such? Fair enough. But don't be surprised if we don't bother.
Altus, my friend.
It does puzzle me why you have a "mad" character within your post???? With that said, I'm aware of the claims of "propaganda" from all parties involved in this forum. If folks want to argue about the legitimacy of the postings in this thread, I don't welcome or want that! I do know that folks all over the world do act in humanitarian ways (almost by default because they are human); YES, even communists, and/or "nationalists" are HUMAN.

If you sincerely feel you have a "good deed" and/or "humanitarian" story (by your side or ours) to post then please do. There is no need for folks to contest your posting. I trust your sincere judgment as a human being. OH!, and I do feel you are a good person - heehee, maybe a little miss-guided, but a good guy!

We are no longer fighting each other, and I sincerely want to gain insight as to all the possible GOOD that did happen during "our" war. Yes, war in itself is HELL; but good things did and do occur in the middle of any war.

It is a shame we don't have many PAVN/PALF Vets in this forum that could bring out their own personal stories. We, on "our side", are fortunate to have many photos and written documents showing our good deeds - tis the nature of FREEDOM!

I know you are on other sites that discuss the "American War"; I would bet some acts of "good deeds" have been discussed. So if you can provide them, and you are sincere about them being "good deeds", I welcome them, and am pretty sure other members of our wonderful forum here would like to hear about them.

Your Friend, KEN

Old 03 Sep 09, 14:33
First Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

steve park is on the path to success [1-99] steve park is on the path to success [1-99] steve park is on the path to success [1-99] steve park is on the path to success [1-99]
This is picked up at the end of a short chapter of my personal memoir I am working on. It was on patrol through the town of Thu Duc, just NE of Saigon.

In one particular narrow alley abutted by a row of crudely constructed buildings built to the edge along one side, stood a lone young teenage boy carrying a large box by a wide strap around his neck. It was instant alert. The whole platoon was aware of stories about kids carrying concealed explosives to detonate in groups soldiers. Our approach from behind slowed down. I went to him and checked the box, which was insulated and half filled with frozen treats on sticks. He was their version of the popsicle man. One small kid suddenly sprang up from nowhere and without a word of word of common language, he managed to get a free treat. The vendor was quite happy to take our military currency script, not a problem to use on the Black Market. That one purchase sent out a signal, like telepathy, and in a matter of seconds the box of local delicacies was surrounded by a swarm of chattering kids jumping around. Donations were taken from the platoon until each one had something to eat before they ran away. I wondered if any of them would remember the event when they were grown. It was the good part of war.
Sponsored Links

Old 03 Sep 09, 14:47
First Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

steve park is on the path to success [1-99] steve park is on the path to success [1-99] steve park is on the path to success [1-99] steve park is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
The 2d Brigade was responsible of pacification and revolutionary development for the 1st Inf Div's TAOR in southern Binh Duong, Steve Park can tell us more about it surely.
I am sorry but I had a narrow and limited insight as to what was going on as national policy and believed whatever we were doing at the time was the same for all units.

I worked at 2d Bde. Hq. my last four months as an Improvement Action Team, working with District Hqs.(I had 5 districts) and individual ARVN sites-similar to MAC-V duties, except non-combat - I was supply only, trying to upgrade or strengthen defensive positions and went beyond the call, using my jeep to transport filled sandbags to their bunkers. The front fenders were almost touching the tires from weight.
One thing we had, unsure of other divisions, was the use of Kit Carson scouts, VC given the opportunity to convert their allegiance.
Old 03 Sep 09, 15:10
Major General
Viet_Nam
5 Year Service Ribbon 

altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200]
Hi Ken,

For a start, I'd like to offer you this book.

The Vietnam Archive has an entire section about her diaries.

As a doctor in a FFZ, she treated soldiers and civilians alike. But not sure whether she'd pass your criteria of good doing, since Vietnamese civilians in a FFZ seemed to be considered by many on your side, from top brass (MACV RoE) to the ranks and file (if it moves it dies), as not really civilians, only VC supporters and accomplices.
Old 03 Sep 09, 15:12
United_States

PICTURE @ BELOW LINK PROVIDED BY TOM BRIGGS
Quote:
... 'Yours Truly' at an orphanage in 1966 somewhere outside of Saigon (now Ho Chi Minh City). Note the flowers on my uniform, all placed there by the children. Our unit sponsored this orphanage and each weekend we'd take a truck full of Military Policemen to visit the orphanage and bring with us ice cream, candy, food, toys, etc.. It was a great day each week for all of us ... especially those soldiers with children of their own back in the States. Every time I look at this photo, I can't help but wonder whatever became of these children.
I provide the below link because of TOM’s Copyright statements relating to his photos. This one is surely one of the many GOOD DEEDS typical of what many, many RMF’s were involved in:
http://www.pbase.com/tombriggs/image/64930329

Old 03 Sep 09, 15:29
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve park View Post
This is picked up at the end of a short chapter of my personal memoir I am working on. It was on patrol through the town of Thu Duc, just NE of Saigon.

In one particular narrow alley abutted by a row of crudely constructed buildings built to the edge along one side, stood a lone young teenage boy carrying a large box by a wide strap around his neck. It was instant alert. The whole platoon was aware of stories about kids carrying concealed explosives to detonate in groups soldiers. Our approach from behind slowed down. I went to him and checked the box, which was insulated and half filled with frozen treats on sticks. He was their version of the popsicle man. One small kid suddenly sprang up from nowhere and without a word of word of common language, he managed to get a free treat. The vendor was quite happy to take our military currency script, not a problem to use on the Black Market. That one purchase sent out a signal, like telepathy, and in a matter of seconds the box of local delicacies was surrounded by a swarm of chattering kids jumping around. Donations were taken from the platoon until each one had something to eat before they ran away. I wondered if any of them would remember the event when they were grown. It was the good part of war.
heeheehee, Steve, as you know I'm very familiar with Thu Duc area. Your story is probably more typical of what us "ground pounding grunts" ran across - most the offerings of what village folks came out to sell to use was "COLD SODAS". Man did the village vendors that did this, make a lot of money from us thirsty troops! LOL - turnabout - civilians doing us good deeds!
They too were Humanitarians.

Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 03 Sep 09 at 16:17..
Old 03 Sep 09, 16:15
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by altus View Post
Hi Ken,

For a start, I'd like to offer you this book.

The Vietnam Archive has an entire section about her diaries.

As a doctor in a FFZ, she treated soldiers and civilians alike.
Quote:
But not sure whether she'd pass your criteria of good doing, since Vietnamese civilians in a FFZ seemed to be considered by many on your side, from top brass (MACV RoE) to the ranks and file (if it moves it dies), as not really civilians, only VC supporters and accomplices.
Your second statement about FFZ was probably uncalled for; however, I and others should over look it.

I checked out your links and didn't find any UNIQUE GOOD DEED story performed by this person as to providing Humanitarian aid to South Vietnamese "civilians". It appears, from what I read, she was a very human person doing what she felt was necessary for her ideology (a typical soldiers job)!

P.S. Most all us didn't think that ALL Vietnamese were our enemy.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!