HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider.

Old 23 Aug 09, 18:06
Brigadier General
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300]
Music of the Napoleonic Era

So I'm a new user but since I didnt find anything like it I thought "Why not open it myself?" I like marches and there are quite a bit lovely tunes and marches from that time.

Prussia:
A march composed by Carl Lange in 1814 in a prussian army camp at Sedan.

The famous Marsch Nr. 1 by Ludwig van Beethoven, also known as Yorckscher Marsch.

March composed to the entry into Paris in 1814.

A hymn of praise to Field-Marshall Blücher. Its a bit to late to translate the whole thing but here goes:

"What signal do the trumpets give? Hussars advance!
The fieldmarshall rides in a flying hurry,
he rides ever so joyfull his brave mount,
he swings ever so galantly his gleaming sword!

Refrain:
|: Horay-hey-hey hussars are here,
Hussars are joyfull, they exclaim Horray :|

Oh watch how his eyes shine so clear
Oh how his snow-white hair waves about.
His age blooms so fresh, like ripening wine,
thus he can be the manager of the battlefield
Refrain

He was the man, when everything fell to ruins,
who still swang his rapier up towards the heavens,
then he swor by the iron, mighty angry and hard:
to show to the enemys the german way.
Refrain

That vow he kept when the war-cry rang out,
oh, how the greyed youth swang himself into the saddle!
Then it was him who did the cleaning,
with an iron broom he swept the land clean!
Refrain

France:
Kind of the inoffical anthem of the french empire or so I heard.

A splendid tune about the imperial guard.

A march to honor the valiant 'Armée de Sambre-et-Meuse'. The March was written 1879, so a bit late but I feel that since the army itself was fomed in 1794 I feel it deserves to be mentioned.

A military prayer still used today in Germany, composed by a born ukranian who has been mostly active in russia written the in german language. Capturing the spirit of the era even by his c.v.

Anyway, feel free to post marches of other countries too, I know little russian or british marches of the time.

Last edited by Post Captain; 24 Aug 09 at 18:38..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 24 Aug 09, 02:27
Brigadier General
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300] Kimi is on a distinguished road [300]
Austria:

I daresay most people will recognize the Melody. Composed by Joseph Haydn in 1797 to counter the appeal of the french repeblican ideas by patriotism. The 4th, last, stanza was added after the napoleonic wars.

"He broke slaverys chains,
lifted upwards to freedom us,
May he early experience the german countries
german peoples highest bloom
And may he on the verge of late death still hear the grandchilds choir:
god save the Emperor Franz, our good Emperor franz"

Prussia

Composed in the late 18th century by Frederik Willhelm III., King of Prussia.
Old 24 Aug 09, 05:04
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300] Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300] Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300] Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300] Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300] Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300] Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300] Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300] Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300] Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300] Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300] Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300] Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300] Legatus Augusti is on a distinguished road [300]
Hey Great Posts Kimi, and welcome to the forums!

Hey has anyone ever played that old "Battleground Waterloo" game? There was a fantastic Prussian march in that game that I can't remember the name of! Does anyone remember what the name of that march is?
Old 24 Aug 09, 05:47
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Thumbs up

In the film 'Waterloo' there is a superb scene where the little man in the funny 'at says goodbye to his Old Guard. The Guard band strikes up a stirring march as he kisses their flag. I've always wondered whether that was a genuine march from the 1st Empire, never been able to find it though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uclE3g2OU5I

Last edited by Von Richter; 24 Aug 09 at 06:03..
Old 24 Aug 09, 14:53
General of the Forums
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700]
PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700]
La Marseillaise

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
(The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard
Old 24 Aug 09, 14:59
First Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

61st Ga is on the path to success [1-99] 61st Ga is on the path to success [1-99] 61st Ga is on the path to success [1-99] 61st Ga is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT Beauregard View Post
La Marseillaise

Thanks for that PGT I don't speak French except for a couple of words. But I enjoyed the music.

May 12th 1864 In the Bloody Angle Spotsylvania C.H
Old 24 Aug 09, 15:12
General of the Forums
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700] PGT Beauregard is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Le Chant de l'oignon - The Song of onion -

Old 24 Aug 09, 17:38
Brigadier General
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Thanks for your positive feedback guys.
To Mr. Beauregard: Thanks for giving a name to that song, i think I heard it in a movie and its a very catchy tune.
Did edit in the rest of the translation for the "Das Lied vom Feldmarschall".

Another well known german march, this time from southern germany. "Der gute Kamerad", also known as "Ich hatt' einen Kameraden": written by Ludwig uhland in 1809 when troops from the german country of Baden under french command put down an uprising by the people of Tirol (Austria? Bavaria?). Uhland knew people from both sides. To this day in use as the lament of the german armed forces. In use by the french legion etrange as "J'avais un camerade"

Literal translation taken from wiki with a slight modification:
I once had a comrade,
you won't find a better one.
The drum was rolling for battle,
he was marching at my side
|: in the same pace and stride. :|

A bullet flew towards us
for him or meant for me?
It did tear him away,
he lies beneath my feet
|: like it was a piece of me. :|

´wants to reach his hand to me,
while I reload my gun.
"Can't give you my hand for now,
stay you in eternal life
|: My good comrade!" :|

Last edited by Kimi; 24 Aug 09 at 17:44..
Old 24 Aug 09, 17:39
Leave of Absence
Netherlands
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
SPQR Campaign 

Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Major Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Richter View Post
In the film 'Waterloo' there is a superb scene where the little man in the funny 'at says goodbye to his Old Guard. The Guard band strikes up a stirring march as he kisses their flag. I've always wondered whether that was a genuine march from the 1st Empire, never been able to find it though?

Typical melody indeed, it starts here at 2.15. No idea whether it was played historically during this moving moment.

Not a march really, but very possibly composed in the time of the First Empire. It does have a certain French twang to it.
Old 24 Aug 09, 17:50
Brigadier General
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSennef View Post
Typical melody indeed, it starts here at 2.15. No idea whether it was played historically during this moving moment.
[...]
Sadly I dont recognize the melody either, however at the beginning of the video, the part with the drum sticks... I thought they'd blast the Austerlitz-March one more time to say goodbye to their emperor by playing the march of one of his greatest Victories.
Sponsored Links

Old 24 Aug 09, 18:45
General of the Forums
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi View Post
Thanks for your positive feedback guys.
To Mr. Beauregard: Thanks for giving a name to that song, i think I heard it in a movie and its a very catchy tune.
Did edit in the rest of the translation for the "Das Lied vom Feldmarschall".

Another well known german march, this time from southern germany. "Der gute Kamerad", also known as "Ich hatt' einen Kameraden": written by Ludwig uhland in 1809 when troops from the german country of Baden under french command put down an uprising by the people of Tirol (Austria? Bavaria?). Uhland knew people from both sides. To this day in use as the lament of the german armed forces. In use by the french legion etrange as "J'avais un camerade"

Literal translation taken from wiki with a slight modification:
I once had a comrade,
you won't find a better one.
The drum was rolling for battle,
he was marching at my side
|: in the same pace and stride. :|

A bullet flew towards us
for him or meant for me?
It did tear him away,
he lies beneath my feet
|: like it was a piece of me. :|

´wants to reach his hand to me,
while I reload my gun.
"Can't give you my hand for now,
stay you in eternal life
|: My good comrade!" :|
Dear Kimi here the French Foreign Legion version

Old 24 Aug 09, 19:59
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cambronnne has a spectacular aura about [400]
Cambronnne has a spectacular aura about [400]
One of Napoleon's favorites, le Chant du depart.

Sung by Mireille Mathieu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB1jP...eature=related

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.
Old 25 Aug 09, 06:21
General of the Forums
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61st Ga View Post
Thanks for that PGT I don't speak French except for a couple of words. But I enjoyed the music.
you have a CSA version called Virginian Marseillaise

The link

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG03/ban...sic/songs.html

Old 25 Aug 09, 07:45
Brigadier General
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Virginian Marseillaise? Thats very interesting. never knew that this great song made the jump over the big pond.

I'm going to answer with the "Marseillaise of the peasents wars" as its called sometimes here in germany, also "Battle Hymn of the reformation" In a time where religion did matter a lot more than today a substencial part in the prussian resitance to france was that the french were catholic, while the prussian were protestants. A fact that could easily be exploited by the nobles to rally the people to defend their faith against the unbelivers. Allegedly sung by the prussian army on the evening after waterloo, "Ein' feste Burg ist unser Herr"(A mighty Fortress is our god) an old hymn written by Luther himself in 1520 so its not a song made in the era itself, but considering that the prussians drummed "Ich bin ja Herr in deiner Macht"(For I am oh Lord, in Your Might(in Your Hand)) for the advance, I'm guessing it has been used more often than just after waterloo.

german version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErKTZchVVeE
Old 25 Aug 09, 12:37
Lieutenant General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100]
Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100]
Welcome aboard and great first thread, Kimi.

I will contribute later.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!