StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > The Wild West

Notices and Announcements

The Wild West Discussions on Cowboys & Indians, Mexican War, etc. Sponsored by Wild West magazine.

Old 13 Oct 10, 21:41
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
I believe its called The Pirates Lafitte. The book covers both brothers and their impact on Louisiana and TX. Davis includes lots of info on the filibusters active before the Austin Colony. Living in Galveston, it is a book commonly seen in our local shops.
Old 13 Oct 10, 21:43
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
I believe its called The Pirates Lafitte. The book covers both brothers and their impact on Louisiana and TX. Davis includes lots of info on the filibusters active before the Austin Colony. Living in Galveston, it is a book commonly seen in our local shops.
I'll check it out. Looks like all the Barnes and Noble here in Austin have it in stock too.
Old 13 Oct 10, 21:44
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Laffit...7020519&sr=1-1

Have you any experience with William C. Davis? I have enjoyed two or three books by him.
Old 13 Oct 10, 21:46
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Star-Risi...t_at_ep_dpt_12

I also really enjoyed this telling of the Tex Revolution.
Old 23 Oct 10, 17:34
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
The Civil War in the American West by Alvin Josephy- a great book that covers the ACW from Minnesota to Oregon.

Soldiers West ed by Paul Andrew Hutton- a series of biographical essays on various military officers who helped conquer the West. Includes such notables as William Hazen,William Harney,Charles King as well as many of the more famous commanders.

Charles Goodnight: Cowman and Plainsman bt J. Evetts Haley- a somewhat dated bio of one of the greatest men to live in the Southwest. The book has the advantage in that the author was able to talk to people who knew Goodnight.

Old 06 Jun 11, 13:58
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300]
Just finished reading The Captured: A True Story of Abduction by Indians on the Texas Frontier by Scott Zesch. The author tells the story of his Uncle Adolph Korn and other children that were taken by Apaches and Comanches from frontier farms in the 1860s and 1870s. Some of the boys became confirmed white Indians and rode on raids with them. All were redeemed but almost all did not adjust well on their return to the white man’s life. One of them actually chose to return to the Comanches after they were forced into reservation life. Two of his children married two of Quanah Parker’s children.

It’s a fascinating book but very sad, I think. The saddest chapter is how the old captives would go to the Old Trail Drivers' Days in San Antonio in the 1920s and relive the days of their captivity. They especially enjoyed making contact with old Indian brothers.
Old 09 Jul 11, 13:00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAirborneSon View Post
Vigilantes of Montana

by Thomas J. Dimsdale

Vigilantes of Montana by Thomas J. Dimsdale was published in book form 1865. It was first serialized in the Montana Post, of which Mr. Dimsdale was the editor-in-chief. It describes the exploits of vigilantes from Virginia City, Montana and its sister city Nevada, Montana from 1863 through 1865. It consists of true stories of courage and persistence on the part of the vigilantes as they pursued, arrested, tried, and punished road agents, murderers, and other dangerous criminals. More interesting to me than the stories, which constitute most of the book, are the occasional explanations of the rationale for the Vigilance Committee and the comments the author makes about the net result of its activities.

see: http://www.libertariannation.org/a/f72h2.html
I have Dimsdale's book, which is a classic in Montana History, but take him with a grain of salt, he is an unabashed cheerleader for the Vigilantes and may have been one himself. The origins of the Vigilance Committee and its activities are much more controversial than Dimsdale portrays. Here are two other books:

Hanging the Sheriff 1998 by R.E. Mather and F.E. Boswell, Historic Montana Publishing, Missoula, MT, ISBN 0-9963355-0-3 (pbk) This book is definately the counter argument to Dimsdale. The book explores Sheriff Henry Plummer's History and concludes there is no evidence to support the Vigilantes' belief that he ran an outlaw band and that the lynching was political.

A Decent Orderly Lynching by Fredrick Allen, University of Oklahoma Press, 2004, Norman OK. ISBN 0-8061-3637-5 (alk. paper) This book strikes a middle ground, neither supporting the Vigilantes, but not coming out as totally exonerating Plummer either. It does document very well that there was no particular rash of crime as Dimsdale claims.
Old 05 Aug 11, 16:24
Private
United_States

SavasBeatie is a balanced individual [0]
Another good book is Dakota Dawn: The Decisive First Week of the Sioux Uprising, August 17-24, 1862. Dakota Dawn focuses in great detail on the first week of the killing spree, a great paroxysm of destruction when the Dakota succeeded, albeit fleetingly, in driving out the white man. Michno’s research includes select secondary studies and 2,000 pages of primary sources including recollections, original records, diaries, newspaper accounts, and other archival records.
Old 06 Aug 11, 00:39
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Anyone interested in lawmen, outlaws and frontier law should read: Tom Horn: Blood on the Moon: Dark History of the Murderous Cattle Detective by Chip Carlson.

The gist? Tom Horn probabley didn't kill young Willie Nickel.....but he sure killed a lot of others he never got caught for.
Old 29 Nov 11, 19:07
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
I am a fan of Elizabeth Custer's three books. Let's see if I can tick them off, there are: Boots and Saddles, Following the Guidon and Tenting on the Plains.

While she is biased toward her husband's memory, she was also there and she wrote well. The books smack of truth telling. The first is the best and if that is the only one you read, that's fine and you will get the gist of the other two.

It was from the royaltities from her writings that Liz was able to survive, as George left her with nada. Everything that they owned burned down with their house, including George's blond wig made from his flowing locks and Liz would sometimes don and the table upon which Grant and Lee signed the document ending the Civil War.

Last edited by majormack; 29 Nov 11 at 19:13..
Old 18 Dec 11, 11:09
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99]
Found a new book the other day:

Kearny's March: The Epic Creation of the American West, 1846-1847
by Winston Groom

I'm currently reading it, I'll post my thoughts once I am done.
Old 09 Jan 12, 13:08
Captain
United_States

Found another one:

http://www.nuecespress.com/daniel-p-...soldiers-life/

Daniel P. WHiting - A Soldier's Life

Quote:
Daniel Powers Whiting served in the United States Army for 35 years, from his time as a West Point cadet, then officer in the 7th Infantry, until he was placed on the retirement list in 1863 from physical disability related to his long years of service. He was a respected officer, with many friends in the service, who spent most of his career on the frontiers of a rapidly expanding country. His tours of duty included two stints in Florida during the bloody Seminole Wars and he fought in major battles in the Mexican War, from the siege of Fort Brown, to the battles of Monterrey, Veracruz and Cerro Gordo. Whiting in his long career was stationed at army posts in Kentucky, Missouri, Louisiana, Indian Territory, Mormon Country, and, at the start of the Civil War, in New Mexico and Colorado. Where his name is known today, it is known largely because of his five lithographs of Mexican War drawings, including the earliest known view of Corpus Christi in October 1845. During his service, Whiting kept a diary of events, which he used to write his memoirs during his two years in Utah Territory. The memoirs have not been published until now. They reveal the trials and tribulations of a dedicated officer, who traveled vast distances between frontier garrisons, despite being left a widower with seven children to raise. The shape and extent of the country we know today was made possible by the dedication of men like Daniel Powers Whiting, who served on the front lines of “Manifest Destiny.”
Old 12 Jun 12, 14:01
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LtCol is on the path to success [1-99] LtCol is on the path to success [1-99]
'Carbine and Lance"...."Forty Miles a Day on Beans and Hay" are two great books about the frontier army. "Fort Concho" is another about the west Texas frontier Army Fort.
Old 12 Jun 12, 20:32
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCol View Post
'Carbine and Lance"...."Forty Miles a Day on Beans and Hay" are two great books about the frontier army. "Fort Concho" is another about the west Texas frontier Army Fort.
"40 miles" is definately a gret book. I enjoyed it very much.
No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends John 15:13
Old 12 Jun 12, 23:47
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
"A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Bighorn — The Last Great Battle of the American West" by James Donovan. An excellent book dealing with Custer and the Little Bighorn battle.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!