StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > The Wild West

Notices and Announcements

The Wild West Discussions on Cowboys & Indians, Mexican War, etc. Sponsored by Wild West magazine.

Old 17 Aug 09, 11:46
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99]
Books: Best Books on the Wild West, etc.

I saw these threads in the other sections and thought we should have one here too.

Obviously I will start us off with some books on the US-Mexico War:

So Far From God by John S.D. Eisenhower - a good primer book, it covers all the different theaters of the war and gives a good background leading up to the war.

Mr. Polk's Army by Richard Bruce Winders - provides a indepth look at the men who made up the US Army during the US-Mexico War.

Dueling Eagles edited by Richard V. Francaviglia and Douglas W. Richmond - contains a series of articles from both American and Mexican historians and provides some excellent insights into different issues during the war.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 17 Aug 09, 12:01
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
A couple of my favorites...

Inventing Wyatt Earp: His Life and Many Legends by Allen Barra

Frontier Regulars: The United States Army and the Indian, 1866-1891 by Robert Utley

Last edited by The Doctor; 17 Aug 09 at 12:05..
Old 17 Aug 09, 13:54
Member Emeritus
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 

Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
Blood and Thunder is a must read covering the life of Kit Carson set in the epic of the west. It is a brilliant book...wonderfully written. I LOVE this book.
Old 17 Aug 09, 15:11
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200]
Vigilantes of Montana

by Thomas J. Dimsdale

Vigilantes of Montana by Thomas J. Dimsdale was published in book form 1865. It was first serialized in the Montana Post, of which Mr. Dimsdale was the editor-in-chief. It describes the exploits of vigilantes from Virginia City, Montana and its sister city Nevada, Montana from 1863 through 1865. It consists of true stories of courage and persistence on the part of the vigilantes as they pursued, arrested, tried, and punished road agents, murderers, and other dangerous criminals. More interesting to me than the stories, which constitute most of the book, are the occasional explanations of the rationale for the Vigilance Committee and the comments the author makes about the net result of its activities.

see: http://www.libertariannation.org/a/f72h2.html

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway
Old 17 Aug 09, 15:27
Lieutenant General
United_States

17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200]
Classics of the Old West

I have this entire series. It provides a wealth of good reading
materials on the subject.

http://www.volumelists.com/detail.ph...e%20Old%20West

The Classics of the Old West series, like the other 'classics of' series, is a set of reprints. The originals in this case are books about the old west written by people who actually experienced it. Some of the authors of this series are well known, like Theodore Roosevelt, Mark Twain, Buffalo Bill and Washington Irving. I also find it odd that there is a biography of Billy the Kid written by Pat Garrett; since when do you get to write biographies about people you killed?

You see entire sets of these for sale on e-Bay pretty often. They are pretty expensive, though; usually going for over $125. Individual volumes also show up frequently on e-Bay. You can buy these volumes on Barnes & Noble or Alibris used, too, so that might be the best bet overall.

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway
Old 07 Sep 09, 13:55
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99] Phil Kost is on the path to success [1-99]
Two newer books on the US-Mexico War:

The Training Ground: Grant, Lee, Sherman, and Davis in the Mexican War, 1846-1848 by Martin Dugard - It is a good book, but focuses more on the men who would later fight in the Civil War then the battles themselves. Very quick read.

Eagles and Empire: The United States, Mexico, and the Struggle for a Continent by David A. Clary - I'm still working my way through it, but it is a very well written book.
Old 13 Sep 09, 21:07
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Kost View Post
Two newer books on the US-Mexico War:

The Training Ground: Grant, Lee, Sherman, and Davis in the Mexican War, 1846-1848 by Martin Dugard - It is a good book, but focuses more on the men who would later fight in the Civil War then the battles themselves. Very quick read.

Eagles and Empire: The United States, Mexico, and the Struggle for a Continent by David A. Clary - I'm still working my way through it, but it is a very well written book.
Eagles and Empire will be featured on CSpan2 tonight SEPT 13,at 10 pm Eastern time.
Old 14 Sep 09, 14:24
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate View Post
Eagles and Empire will be featured on CSpan2 tonight SEPT 13,at 10 pm Eastern time.

Thanks for the heads up. I recorded it, and will try and watch some night when there is no football on.
Old 05 Apr 10, 21:04
Captain
United_States

A brand new book about the US-Mexico War came out:

Trailing Clouds of Glory: Zachary Taylor's Mexican War Campaign and His Emerging Civil War Leaders

Also, here is a link to some good books from the Center of Military History:

US-Mexico War Bookshelf
Old 16 Apr 10, 08:18
Private
United_States

Richard Weddle is a balanced individual [0]
I recommend Scalp Dance: Indian Warfare on the High Plains, 1865-1879 by Thomas Goodrich. Read the reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/Scalp-Dance-In...d_bxgy_b_img_a

Richard
Sponsored Links

Old 17 Sep 10, 13:20
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
I recently read What Hath God Wrought. It discussed the westward expansion up to 1848 in several excellent chapters. I really enjoyed the book.
Old 07 Oct 10, 05:41
Lance Corporal
United_States

Monterrey1846 is on the path to success [1-99]
I like Dee Brown's books - Bury my heart at wounded knee an the American West.

Ditto re: the Adventures of Bigfoot Wallace - a great read. Stanley's Vestals' book on him is good also,

------------
www.battleofmonterrey,com
Old 10 Oct 10, 00:03
Captain
United_States

Time to add A Perfect Gibraltar: The Battle for Monterrey, Mexico, 1846 by Christopher D. Dishman

Excellent book and a must have for students of the US-Mexico War.
Old 13 Oct 10, 22:30
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Phil, have you read William Davis' book on the Lafitte brothers? Just wondering if you have an opinion. I found the info on early filibustering in Texas particularly interesting.
Old 13 Oct 10, 22:37
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
Phil, have you read William Davis' book on the Lafitte brothers? Just wondering if you have an opinion. I found the info on early filibustering in Texas particularly interesting.
I have not. What is the title?

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!