HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 16 Aug 09, 09:35
Sergeant
United_States

Franek is on the path to success [1-99] Franek is on the path to success [1-99]
US WW2 Draft Classifications

http://www.swarthmore.edu/Library/pe...ifications.htm

Regulations. Volume Three. Classification & Selection, 1940 (see Subject File: Conscientious Objection/Objectors -- Government Documents); also “Memorandum Of the Rights Of Conscientious

Objectors Under the Draft Laws As Of December 1, 1942” (see Subject File: Conscientious Objection/Objectors -- U.S. Sources, 1942]
* all males between the ages of 18 & 65 were required to register for the draft; those who became 18 after January 1, 1943 were to register on their 18th birthday

I Available for service

I-A Available; fit for general military service

I-A-O Conscientious objectors eligible for military service in noncombatant role

I-B Available; fit only for limited military service

I-B-O Conscientious objectors available for limited service [not used after Aug. 18, 1942]

I-C Members of land or naval forces of the United States

I-D Students fit for general military service; available not later than July 1, 1941

I-E Students fit for limited military service; available not later than July 1, 1941

I-H Men deferred by reason of age [not in effect any more, as provision deferring men over 28 years of age had been repealed?]

II Deferred because of occupational status

II-A Men necessary in their civilian activity

II-B Men necessary to national defense
II-C Men necessary to farm labor

III Deferred because of dependents

III-A Men with dependents, not engaged in work essential to national defense

III-B Men with dependents, engaged in work essential to national defense

IV Deferred specifically by law or because unfit for military service

IV-A Men who had completed service [not considered in time of war]

IV-B Officials deferred by law
IV-C Nondeclarant aliens

IV-D Ministers of religion or divinity students

IV-E Conscientious objectors available only for civilian work of national importance

IV-E-LS Conscientious objectors available for limited civilian work of national importance

IV-E-H Men formerly classified in IV-E or IV-E-LS, since deferred by reason of age

IV-F Men physically, mentally or morally unfit

SELECTIVE SERVICE ACT OF 1948

IV-E Conscientious objectors opposed to both combatant & noncombatant military service [all to be given statuatory deferments]

UNIVERSAL MILITARY TRAINING AND SERVICE ACT, 1951 [AS A RESULT OF THE KOREAN WAR]

I-A Available for combat service

I-A-O Available for noncombatant service

I-O Available for civilian work assignment

MARCH 1, 1962 REVISED CLASSIFICATIONS
[See NSBRO reference files re: the Selective Service System, Series I-1; also Handbook for Conscientious Objectors (11th ed.) by the CCCO, Sept. 1970, for more details on ages of draftees, etc.]

* Some of the deferments listed were not available to new applicants by 1970
I-A Available for combat service

I-A-O Available for noncombatant service
I-C Members of the active armed forces, or commissioned officers in Environmental Science Service Administration or Public Health Service

I-O Available for civilian work assignment [ordered into or assigned into the conscientious objector work program by their local draft boards, to perform civilian work

for 24 consecutive months]

I-S Deferment for students [for high school students under age 20, undergraduate college students who had received an order to report for induction, or a “very few”

graduate students]

I-W “At Work” conscientious objectors [once I-O registrants were assigned to civilian work, they were then reclassified I-W by their local draft boards]

I-Y Unqualified for duty except in time of declared war or national emergency

II-A Occupational deferment because of essential employment, or deferred to full-time study in a trade school, community or junior college, or approved

apprenticeship program

II-C Agricultural deferment

II-D [I-D?] Deferment for members of military reserve units, or students taking advanced ROTC

II-S Deferment for college students [for those who had not yet reached their 24th birthday; also for graduate students of medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, osteopathy &

optometry, & graduate students in their fifth year of continuous study toward a doctoral degree]

III-A Dependency deferment

IV-A Exemption for veterans & sole surviving sons [for those whose military duty obligation was completed, or for only surviving sons of a family in which the father, or one or

more sons or daughters, were killed or died in the line of duty while in the Armed Forces, or subsequently died as a result of such service]

IV-B Certain officials

IV-C Exemption for certain aliens

IV-D Exemption for ministers & divinity students

IV-F Unfit for military service

V-A Over-age [26 years old if never deferred; 35 years old for those who held a deferment]
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 16 Aug 09, 09:51
Sergeant
United_States

Section 8 (military)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Please help improve this article by expanding it. Further information might be found on the talk page. (December 2008)

The term Section 8 refers to a category of discharge from the United States military for reason of being mentally unfit for service. It also came to mean any serviceperson given such a discharge or behaving as if deserving such a discharge. The term comes from Section VIII of the World War II-era United States Army Regulation 615-360, which provided for the discharge of those deemed unfit for military service.

In the 1950s, Section 8 discharges were commonly given to service members found guilty of "Sexual Perversion," and it was classified as an undesirable discharge, depriving the serviceperson so discharged of veteran's benefits but not resulting in the loss of any citizenship rights, such as the right to vote.[citation needed]

Discharge under "Section 8" is no longer a military reality, as medical discharges for psychological/psychiatric reasons are now covered by a number of regulations. In the Army, such discharges are handled under the provisions of Army Regulation 635-200, Active Duty Enlisted Administrative Separations. Chapter 5, paragraph 13 governs the separation of personnel medically diagnosed with a personality disorder.[1]

[edit] In popular culture
In the movie Basic Starring John Travolta West's company was part of an organization called "Section 8". It is referenced to as being the crazy house in the movie but in the movie "Section 8" was code name for a drug organization.

In the Stanley Kubrick movie Full Metal Jacket, Pvt Joker tells Pvt Cowboy that he believes Pvt. Pyle is a "Section 8", after witnessing him speaking to his rifle. After being reunited with Joker, Cowboy also mentions a Marine who is suspected of being crazy, and started masturbating in the hospital waiting room. "Boom! Instant Section 8."

A running gag from the television show M*A*S*H has Corporal Maxwell Klinger constantly trying to convince his commanding officers that he is mentally unfit for duty (crazy) and requires a Section 8 discharge. Klinger would dress in women's clothing and perform dangerous and ridiculous stunts, such as attempting to eat a Jeep piece by piece or wear a rubber-lined sweatsuit for 24 hours straight on a hot summer day.

In the novel A Separate Peace Leper Lepellier deserts the Army because they were going to give him a Section 8 discharge. Leper does not want one because he would be prohibited from getting a job.

The video game Section 8 directly refers to Section 8 within its title. In the game the player is taking control of the military unit Section 8 which members are preceived as insane by other military units, because of the dangerous and near-suicidal mission they usually take part in.
Old 16 Aug 09, 09:53
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Thanks for that. Any personall memories of how the system worked?
Old 16 Aug 09, 10:14
Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
Thanks for that. Any personall memories of how the system worked?
Yes, I remember the draft very well. In my City (Baltimore) A draft board was set up by neighborhood people who knew most of the people that lived in close proximity.. My Draft board member was the corner grocer.
There was no escaping the draft. Actually during WW2, I cant recall anyone that shirked his duty. A friend of mine was rejected for flat feet???(Crazy Law) He cried because evrybody called him a coward. In WW2 America was a united country.. No one complained

The draft affected just about every family in America
Old 17 Aug 09, 01:04
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I recall you were in a communications section, a wire man, correct? Did you ever work with artillery observers, the FOs or the liasion officer?

Thanks again.
Old 17 Aug 09, 06:46
Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
I recall you were in a communications section, a wire man, correct? Did you ever work with artillery observers, the FOs or the liasion officer?

Thanks again.
No. Although my classification sounded important. It really was not that great.
In basic training we studied the Morse code for radio. The wire men's job was to keep telephone communications open between the line companies and battalion.
Example:
A switch board was set up at Battalion. Our job was to string wire to the line companies, where they could be in touch with Battalion.. Each front line company was equipped with field telephones, and radio walkie talkies.
Wire was strung directly on the ground. When we reached a cross road. We climbed trees to get the wire off of the road to prevent damage from vehicles.
In attack we operated in two or three man crews. A spool of wire was carried by two men and was laid directly on the ground
We followed the company commander right up front so he could keep battalion informed on the progress.

If I can recall, the Artillery was serviced by Regiment communication

I believe that the forward observers used walkie talkies.
Old 17 Aug 09, 08:00
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

I had to ask. My artillery research requires I track down eyewitnesses to how the artillery actually operated, vs the book method. If you happen across any former artillerymen who care to pass along their experince (from any war) let me know. Any help is appreciated.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!