StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare by Other Means > Spy Wars

Notices and Announcements

Spy Wars Reconnaissance, deception and intelligence are all vital aspects of warfare, ancient and modern - discuss these aspects here!

Old 26 Aug 11, 11:22
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Why would it not surprise you? They didn't build their ships out of tinfoil, scotch tape, rubber balloons and balsa wood.
Maybe not, tho the Chinese did. Not to long ago I ran across a US military pilots account of trying to intercept a Chinese ballon with a intel gathering radio transciever. The attempted intercept took place west of Okinawa in the later 1950s, and on a dark & stormy night. Despite continual contact by multiple ground radar station the pilots were unable to make visual or air radar contact with the thing. The ground stations observed the balloon being yanked upwards & down hundreds of feet in seconds by the storm. They also saw it abruptly speed up & slow down, and even reverse course or hover stationary.
Old 26 Aug 11, 11:32
Brigadier General
Canada
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
Maybe not, tho the Chinese did. Not to long ago I ran across a US military pilots account of trying to intercept a Chinese ballon with a intel gathering radio transciever. The attempted intercept took place west of Okinawa in the later 1950s, and on a dark & stormy night. Despite continual contact by multiple ground radar station the pilots were unable to make visual or air radar contact with the thing. The ground stations observed the balloon being yanked upwards & down hundreds of feet in seconds by the storm. They also saw it abruptly speed up & slow down, and even reverse course or hover stationary.
Never underestimate human ingenuity. Even from 3rd world communist dictatorships.
Old 26 Aug 11, 11:37
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion40 View Post
What? That Corso is a thief? He told a tale that is either truth or fiction. Hardly a theft. It would be theft if he stole a patent, or made an integrated curcuit based on someone else's design and claimed it was his own work. But he did none of those things. He told a story, claimed it as the truth and sold some books based on his tale. Now he is dead. If someone is offended by his story and wants to sue his estate for libel, they are perfectly within their rights to do so.
He lied. Plain and simple.
Quote:
Related to post-Roswell reports and investigations... I have to be honest with you and admit that I haven't read every single claim or report surrounding that event. However, it is far more likely that whatever did or did not happen there, happened as a result of human enterprise... weather balloon, glider, whatever. The possibility that something crashed from another planet/dimension/time is much, much less likely.

Having said all of that, I do not implicitly believe every government report or news story that I see.
My late wife was doing her Masters thesis on UFO literature, and I read dozens of books to help her out. I read government reports, believer reports, and non-believer reports. Kal K. Korff's The Roswell UFO Crash: What They Don't Want You to Know is significant because Korff was a strong believer in UFOs, but simply couldn't buy the Roswell story.
Old 26 Aug 11, 11:59
Brigadier General
Canada

Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
My late wife was doing her Masters thesis on UFO literature, and I read dozens of books to help her out. I read government reports, believer reports, and non-believer reports. Kal K. Korff's The Roswell UFO Crash: What They Don't Want You to Know is significant because Korff was a strong believer in UFOs, but simply couldn't buy the Roswell story.
Sorry to hear about you wife. What was point of her thesis, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 26 Aug 11, 12:04
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Sorry to hear about you wife. What was point of her thesis, if you don't mind me asking?
She was tracing the development of myths like the Roswell story through generations of books. She was planning to do a dozen and see if they had common features or if they were developed independently. Preliminary findings indicated that a few "main players" in the UFO literature industry were involved in nearly all of the "enhanced" versions of the stories. She was also able to track the enhanced version release to the debunking of the previous version.
Old 26 Aug 11, 12:11
Brigadier General
Canada

Her findings come as no surprise, really.

I wonder how radio and TV shows (Ancient Aliens or any given broadcast of Coast to Coast AM) add to the phenomena. I mean, who ever first came out with the image of a "Grey" should have picked-up a copyright. Now everyone uses it/thinks that they've actually seen them... assuming they've all imagined their encounters; which is the most probable explanation.
Old 26 Aug 11, 12:25
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:

I wonder how radio and TV shows (Ancient Aliens or any given broadcast of Coast to Coast AM) add to the phenomena. I mean, who ever first came out with the image of a "Grey" should have picked-up a copyright. Now everyone uses it/thinks that they've actually seen them... assuming they've all imagined their encounters; which is the most probable explanation.
I transcribed about sixty hours of C2C for her, the "main player" interviews were informative.

The Grey's were Spielberg's, IIRC, "Close Encounters".
Old 26 Aug 11, 13:44
Brigadier General
Canada

Really??!! No appearance of "greys" before Close Encounters??!! Huh.
Old 26 Aug 11, 13:51
Brigadier General
Canada

I had to some digging as I just couldn't imagine Spielberg being that original.

Say what you will about Wiki, but it can be a decent primer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greys

They claim that the concept of the "Greys" originates with Betty & Barney Hill. That pre-dates Close Encounters.

But I'll bet that the reports of Greys went through the roof after Close Encounters hit the theaters.

Note from Wiki that the nations reporting the most Greys have lots of movie theaters and TV sets. My nation seems to be leading the pack! Something to be proud of there!!!
Old 18 Dec 11, 13:50
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Checkertail20 has a spectacular aura about [400]
Checkertail20 has a spectacular aura about [400] Checkertail20 has a spectacular aura about [400] Checkertail20 has a spectacular aura about [400]
Something from outer space had to have landed at Roswell. The U.S. military and U.S goverment has always been open about releasing information and allowing citizens to walk through military bases and asking questions. All of the sudden they remain silent about this incident at Roswell which tells me it had to be space aliens involved.

Last edited by Checkertail20; 18 Dec 11 at 13:53.. Reason: I have no idea why there is a space between the second and third lines.
Sponsored Links

Old 18 Dec 11, 15:04
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:

The "greys" were first described during the Roswell incident.
Old 18 Dec 11, 15:06
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkertail20 View Post
Something from outer space had to have landed at Roswell. The U.S. military and U.S goverment has always been open about releasing information and allowing citizens to walk through military bases and asking questions. All of the sudden they remain silent about this incident at Roswell which tells me it had to be space aliens involved.
The airbase at Roswell was the only nuclear equipped airbase in America at the time. Nobody got to "walk through".
Old 18 Dec 11, 15:29
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
The "greys" were first described during the Roswell incident.
Actually, no. It was over twenty years before the description of the greys came out.
Old 18 Dec 11, 15:30
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
The airbase at Roswell was the only nuclear equipped airbase in America at the time. Nobody got to "walk through".
Quite true. The undertaker that claimed he talked to a nurse that never existed was occasionally allowed on the base to "take care of business", but he wasn't allowed to wander around at well.
Old 18 Dec 11, 16:56
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Checkertail20 has a spectacular aura about [400]
Checkertail20 has a spectacular aura about [400] Checkertail20 has a spectacular aura about [400] Checkertail20 has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
I know. I was being sarcastic.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!