StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare by Other Means > Spy Wars

Notices and Announcements

Spy Wars Reconnaissance, deception and intelligence are all vital aspects of warfare, ancient and modern - discuss these aspects here!

Old 26 Aug 11, 07:43
Major General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Roadkiller is simply cracking [600]
Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600]
There is a documentary (not a "hard" source I know) out about Area 51 in the 50's. They interviewed a high ranking officer and a test pilot who worked at the facility at that time. Apparently the National Defence Act (or the US equivalent) is running out on some of the things they did/saw and they are allowed to talk.

Their most interesting stories concerned the forerunner to the SR71 Blackbird. This aircraft sort of bridged the capability between the U2 and the SR71. It was only known by the code name of the project which escapes me at the moment. None the less, interesting and little known stories.

They did make it plain there are some things they still can't talk about
Old 26 Aug 11, 07:43
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Mac Brazel's report of the debris is perfectly consistent with a balloon train from Project Mogul. The story died the death it deserved. Only the wishful thinking of a UFO author teamed up with the tall tales of a non-witness brought it back to life decades later.
Old 26 Aug 11, 07:44
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion40 View Post
That very thought occurred to me as I read Col. Corso's (retired US Army Intel) book on Roswell. He said it really happened. Could his story be smokescreen?
Corso's story is silly. The history of the technology he claims was retrofitted is well known and there are no "miracles" to be found there.
Old 26 Aug 11, 08:21
Brigadier General
Canada
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Silly as Corso's book may be (and based on the premise of space aliens and their tech, the story isn't exactly built on solid ground), he didn't claim any "miracles", but rather "nudges" advancing projects already in development.
Old 26 Aug 11, 08:39
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Silly as Corso's book may be (and based on the premise of space aliens and their tech, the story isn't exactly built on solid ground), he didn't claim any "miracles", but rather "nudges" advancing projects already in development.
He claimed the hard work done by the scientists who actually did the work as his own. Dishonest and disreputable.
Sponsored Links

Old 26 Aug 11, 09:05
Brigadier General
Canada

Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Centurion40 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
No he didn't. He claimed that he provided pieces/photos of alien tech (that was stored in a filing cabinet) at US Army R&D to scientists/defence contractors.
Old 26 Aug 11, 09:10
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
No he didn't. He claimed that he provided pieces/photos of alien tech (that was stored in a filing cabinet) at US Army R&D to scientists/defence contractors.
He stole their work to sell his bogus book. If that isn't a crime it should be.
Old 26 Aug 11, 09:40
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
I guess I come back to where I started - Roswell was probably the base of most interest to a foreign power (read USSR) at this time as it was the only base with nuclear capable B-29s (the fact the weapon components were stored elsewhere in NM with the AEC may or may not have been known by Soviet intelligence). The Air Force/ US as a whole would have had its best people there. They would not have intelligence officers go crazy or "off the reservation."

The Intelligence community would know that the USSR and any of its agents or friends would have a great interest in such a story - again, they may or may not have believed it - but I'm pretty sure one they would have felt compelled to investigate it/report it.
Old 26 Aug 11, 09:45
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

The initial press release was ill-considered and premature. A prime case of buck fever considering the first reports of "flying saucers" had come about ten days earlier.
Old 26 Aug 11, 09:45
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Recent posters may want to see the thread below started by philiplaos. My post #6 gives details about the US force structure.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...rgy+commission
Old 26 Aug 11, 10:29
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechampainer View Post
I guess I come back to where I started - Roswell was probably the base of most interest to a foreign power (read USSR) at this time as it was the only base with nuclear capable B-29s (the fact the weapon components were stored elsewhere in NM with the AEC may or may not have been known by Soviet intelligence). The Air Force/ US as a whole would have had its best people there. They would not have intelligence officers go crazy or "off the reservation."

The Intelligence community would know that the USSR and any of its agents or friends would have a great interest in such a story - again, they may or may not have believed it - but I'm pretty sure one they would have felt compelled to investigate it/report it.
It would not surprise me if, in our old age, it comes out that the Roswell incident (along with other supposed crashes of alien spaceships, such as the Shag Harbour incident) turns out to be Soviet vehicles attempting to collect intelligence.
Old 26 Aug 11, 10:39
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
It would not surprise me if, in our old age, it comes out that the Roswell incident (along with other supposed crashes of alien spaceships, such as the Shag Harbour incident) turns out to be Soviet vehicles attempting to collect intelligence.
Why would it not surprise you? They didn't build their ships out of tinfoil, scotch tape, rubber balloons and balsa wood.
Old 26 Aug 11, 10:46
Brigadier General
Canada

It would not surprise me because I do not under estimate human ingenuity.
Old 26 Aug 11, 11:03
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
It would not surprise me because I do not under estimate human ingenuity.
And your response to the points I made, please?
Old 26 Aug 11, 11:21
Brigadier General
Canada

What? That Corso is a thief? He told a tale that is either truth or fiction. Hardly a theft. It would be theft if he stole a patent, or made an integrated curcuit based on someone else's design and claimed it was his own work. But he did none of those things. He told a story, claimed it as the truth and sold some books based on his tale. Now he is dead. If someone is offended by his story and wants to sue his estate for libel, they are perfectly within their rights to do so.

Related to post-Roswell reports and investigations... I have to be honest with you and admit that I haven't read every single claim or report surrounding that event. However, it is far more likely that whatever did or did not happen there, happened as a result of human enterprise... weather balloon, glider, whatever. The possibility that something crashed from another planet/dimension/time is much, much less likely.

Having said all of that, I do not implicitly believe every government report or news story that I see.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!