StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare > Military Photos

Notices and Announcements

Military Photos Have you got an iconic military photo? Post it here!

Old 26 Aug 10, 09:48
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150935 View Post
no probs I learnt a little while looking as well so all good
A little bit of south of England pronun: for Woolrich mate, it sounds like 'Woolidge'! lcm1.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 07 May 11, 18:22
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Just stumbled on to this thread and from what I can make out, the Cannon is an old relic, probably a trophy. the barrel has what looks like Indian (moghul) filigree on the barrel. Anyway, the give-away that the gun is not contemporary regimental, is that no 'Gunner' would be seen slouching, laying or sitting on his 'Colours' Gun, it was also a punishable offence. the Uniform is for temperate climates I.E Britain and the rank could be that of a detachment commander (Sergeant). The man to his left is the Bombardier (2ic or 'coverer') his rank (on the right arm only) is obscured behind your relative. the man to his right would be the Lance Bombardier (gun layer). The gun crew would be 9 if he was the commander of this beast:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBL_12_..._Armstrong_gun

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 07 May 11 at 18:53..
Old 07 May 11, 20:16
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Thanks, Dibble 201Bty for the very interesting and helpful comments. It's funny and informative how I never even noticed, never mind noted the importance of the crew leaning on their guns, etc.

No doubt I also should have thought of England, in terms of where they would have the time and the materials to be taking pictures 130 - 150 years ago. I had half-convinced myself it was taken on Malta.

Again,

Thanks
Old 08 May 11, 16:02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99]
Interesting Thread

Hello,
As an American Field Artilleryman, and son of one, appreciated the information and the thread about the British Royal Regiment of Artillery.

My Dad commanded a 155mm FA battalion of the US 34th Infantry Division in North Africa, and later served as a 34th Division Artillery liaison officer to British artillery in the Cassino campaign area. He later was the XO of a heavy artillery group in the long slog up the Apennine Mountains to the Po River valley.

When I was attending the British Jungle Warfare School in Malaysia, some of the classmates were Royal Artillery.

I served as the Fire Support Officer to an airmobile infantry battalion of the 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam, conducting landing zone preparations more than 150 times, including some assaults, and extractions as well, with troops being under enemy fire from time to time.
RedDagger18
Old 25 May 14, 11:18
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
I am posting some information here about my great-grandmother, Margaret Daly Kelly, who married my great-grandfather(whose picture this thread is about) when she was sixteen and he was about 46. They had twelve children, including my grandmother, who I wrote some about in the following thread, which is mostly about the family farm in Vermont on Lake Champlain, where my mother was born.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...hlight=aughrim

Regarding my great-grandmother( I have at least one picture to dig out), the info is from a several write-ups for relatives from the late 70s by my mother's cousin Lawrence Ryan. His mother was a younger sister of my grandmother. Larry has an excellent writing style I think, he went to Catholic Schools and was a high-ranking US Customs officer, so he certainly knew how to interview people and write up information.

Anyway, from a letter he wrote August 7, 1978 to relatives including my mother, he writes:

"Joseph Kelly wrote to me on June 3, 1978 and said 'My mother used to tell me a lot about the family, but I never paid any attention. There were six in her family (the Dalys), Anthony, Patrick, Jack, Bridget, and Margaret, also Peter who was eaten by crocks in Africa. I never knew him. Jack was one of the instigators of the Indian Mutiny, while serving in the Connacht Rangers, in India. He was sent to the Tower of London to be shot, but was released some years later and came back to Aughrim.'"

"I received several informative letters from Eileen Kelly. In one letter dated March 30, 1978 she states 'John and Judy Kelly were the Gunner's parents. They are your great grandparents. The Kellys were always Aughrim people. Paddy Daly came from Loughrea and Mary Daly, his wife, was a Connaire also from Loughrea. The Connaires were blacksmiths. Paddy Daly was the blacksheep of his family. They disowned when he married Mary Connaire, so they came to Aughrim. I heard there are no Dalys now and that Dunsandle Castle is a ruin.' In the letter she refers to my mother, Doris Ryan nee Dorothea Kelly. ' Doris lived in Loughrea when she was young and went to the Convent School. She lived with our great Aunt Mary Connaire and Uncle Dominic.'"

------------------------------------------------
about 8 paragraphs later, Larry Ryan wrote in his letter:

"As to various dates, I think the Gunner was born in 1852, although he may have lied about his age to enlist in the British Army. I've heard that he was in the British Army for 23 years, and then a Beefeater at the Tower of London for another 7, before retiring and coming back to Aughrim. He was about 50 years old when he married Margaret Daly. Her father had died, and her mother couldn't raise all the children, so had placed Margaret in a convent for her upbringing, and she was 16 when she married the Gunner. I think Margaret Daly was born in 1885, and she and the Gunner were married in 1901. I do know that they were married twenty two years and had twelve children, and I believe that he was 72 when he died, which would mean that Margaret was a widow at 38. My mother, Doris, sent the passage money to her mother, when Margaret was 46. Margaret died in 1962, which would make her 77. All the above dates are subject to argument."

"On Margaret Daly's side, I know that her parents were Patrick Daly and Mary Connaire. I can't go back further than that. They had at least six children, Margaret, Anthony, Patrick, Jack, Bridget and Peter."

"Patrick Kelly and Margaret Daly had twelve children - John, Julia, Mary Rose[my grandmother], Peter Paul (died young), Gertrude, Patrick, Eileen, Dorothea[Larry's mother], James, Brendan, Patricia, and Joseph. I had always known Mary Rose as my Aunt May, and Patricia as my aunt Ivy. And I only found out that my mother's real name was Dorothea, and not Doris, recently."

Last edited by lakechampainer; 25 May 14 at 19:29..
Sponsored Links

Old 25 May 14, 11:47
General of the Forums
United_States

From another letter written by Larry Ryan to his relatives including my mother on September 5, 1978:

"To the Kellys and their descendents:

A month has passed since I sent out my first newsletter, to about a dozen people, and although no one has taken the time to write to me, I have heard from a couple of people that they enjoyed it. I have since heard a little more about the Kelly's, and thought I'd pass it on.

When grandma, Margaret Daly, was three or four years old, she was playing inside the cottage while her mother, Mary Daly nee Connaire, was preparing supper. Margaret fell into the fire in the fireplace. Her mother grabbed her and pulled her out, and attempted to extinguish the fires on her child by hitting at the fires. Margaret at first thought that her mother was hitting or spanking her for stumbling into the fire. Her clothes had caught on fire, some of her hair, and her eyebrows. Her mother extinguished the fire, undressed Margaret, and smeared her with goose grease. She called in the parish priest as she did not know how badly Margaret was burned. Grandma healed completely, and in later years would say that the only mark of the fire that she retained was a small scar on her throat, near the adam's apple.

Margaret Daly first met the Gunner when she was sixteen years old and was brought to a cottage in Aughrim and introduced to him as the man she was going to marry. And her first thought was "He's so old!" She had never seen him before, but evidently he had seen her around the village, and as was the custom, a marriage was arranged.

Grandma used to say that when she was a young girl, she had long beautiful hair, with a natural curl in it. "
Old 09 Mar 15, 07:06
Recruit
England

Tonanti216 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
A little bit of south of England pronun: for Woolrich mate, it sounds like 'Woolidge'! lcm1.
Woolwich is pronounced almost as it is spelt, WOOLITCH We English are quite odd at times as some do say WOOLIDGE

Leicestershire for example is of course pronounced as..........

LESTERSHIR .... ah well, it's all good fun.

Last edited by Tonanti216; 09 Mar 15 at 07:11..
Old 20 Jun 17, 21:26
General of the Forums
United_States

Original pictures re-loaded

Original pictures in original post reposted, since thumbnails gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9126.jpg (397.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9127.jpg (398.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 20 Jun 17, 23:30
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonanti216 View Post
Woolwich is pronounced almost as it is spelt, WOOLITCH We English are quite odd at times as some do say WOOLIDGE

It's 'Woolidge'. Woolich is for civvies and other non technical, brain-dead service personnel.

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 22 Jun 17, 06:59
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
The equipment (cannon) appears an odd mixture. The ornate barrel does suggest it came from one of the Indian states but it is mounted on a very British Congreve style carriage with a pole trail. The Congreve carriage was originally developed in India by Congreve assisted by Colonel Arthur Wesley but a gun that size would usually have a twin trail being likely to be a siege weapon and needing to be elevated more than a pole trail would allow.

I would therefore agree with the suggestion in an earlier post that it is a trophy - probably a gate guardian. Wooden carriages had a fairly short life and the original carriage probably had to be replaced.
Old 22 Jun 17, 07:11
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonanti216 View Post

Leominster = Lemster, Beauchamp = Beecham, Belvoir = Beever, Cleobury = Clebory. Kibworth Beauchamp = Kibboth Beecham
Old 29 Jun 17, 10:01
Major General
Russia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500]
dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Leominster = Lemster, Beauchamp = Beecham, Belvoir = Beever, Cleobury = Clebory. Kibworth Beauchamp = Kibboth Beecham
Fareham = Firm
(this impressed me the most)
Old 29 Jun 17, 12:19
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmf01 View Post
Fareham = Firm
(this impressed me the most)
Funny I used to have to visit Fareham quite a lot one (my company's conference and training centre was there) and never heard it pronounced like that Fairem perhaps
Old 29 Jun 17, 14:06
Major General
Russia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500]
dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Funny I used to have to visit Fareham quite a lot one (my company's conference and training centre was there) and never heard it pronounced like that Fairem perhaps
To tell the truth I heard it from a Londoner
Old 16 Jul 17, 13:14
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechampainer View Post
I am posting some information here about my great-grandmother, Margaret Daly Kelly, who married my great-grandfather(whose picture this thread is about) when she was sixteen and he was about 46. They had twelve children, including my grandmother, who I wrote some about in the following thread, which is mostly about the family farm in Vermont on Lake Champlain, where my mother was born.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...hlight=aughrim

Regarding my great-grandmother( I have at least one picture to dig out), the info is from a several write-ups for relatives from the late 70s by my mother's cousin Lawrence Ryan. His mother was a younger sister of my grandmother. Larry has an excellent writing style I think, he went to Catholic Schools and was a high-ranking US Customs officer, so he certainly knew how to interview people and write up information.

Anyway, from a letter he wrote August 7, 1978 to relatives including my mother, he writes:

"Joseph Kelly wrote to me on June 3, 1978 and said 'My mother used to tell me a lot about the family, but I never paid any attention. There were six in her family (the Dalys), Anthony, Patrick, Jack, Bridget, and Margaret, also Peter who was eaten by crocks in Africa. I never knew him. Jack was one of the instigators of the Indian Mutiny, while serving in the Connacht Rangers, in India. He was sent to the Tower of London to be shot, but was released some years later and came back to Aughrim.'"

"I received several informative letters from Eileen Kelly. In one letter dated March 30, 1978 she states 'John and Judy Kelly were the Gunner's parents. They are your great grandparents. The Kellys were always Aughrim people. Paddy Daly came from Loughrea and Mary Daly, his wife, was a Connaire also from Loughrea. The Connaires were blacksmiths. Paddy Daly was the blacksheep of his family. They disowned when he married Mary Connaire, so they came to Aughrim. I heard there are no Dalys now and that Dunsandle Castle is a ruin.' In the letter she refers to my mother, Doris Ryan nee Dorothea Kelly. ' Doris lived in Loughrea when she was young and went to the Convent School. She lived with our great Aunt Mary Connaire and Uncle Dominic.'"

------------------------------------------------
about 8 paragraphs later, Larry Ryan wrote in his letter:

"As to various dates, I think the Gunner was born in 1852, although he may have lied about his age to enlist in the British Army. I've heard that he was in the British Army for 23 years, and then a Beefeater at the Tower of London for another 7, before retiring and coming back to Aughrim. He was about 50 years old when he married Margaret Daly. Her father had died, and her mother couldn't raise all the children, so had placed Margaret in a convent for her upbringing, and she was 16 when she married the Gunner. I think Margaret Daly was born in 1885, and she and the Gunner were married in 1901. I do know that they were married twenty two years and had twelve children, and I believe that he was 72 when he died, which would mean that Margaret was a widow at 38. My mother, Doris, sent the passage money to her mother, when Margaret was 46. Margaret died in 1962, which would make her 77. All the above dates are subject to argument."

"On Margaret Daly's side, I know that her parents were Patrick Daly and Mary Connaire. I can't go back further than that. They had at least six children, Margaret, Anthony, Patrick, Jack, Bridget and Peter."

"Patrick Kelly and Margaret Daly had twelve children - John, Julia, Mary Rose[my grandmother], Peter Paul (died young), Gertrude, Patrick, Eileen, Dorothea[Larry's mother], James, Brendan, Patricia, and Joseph. I had always known Mary Rose as my Aunt May, and Patricia as my aunt Ivy. And I only found out that my mother's real name was Dorothea, and not Doris, recently."

Several pictures of my great-grandmother - the first is a copy of a page in a letter my cousin Larry sent in a March 11,1979 letter - it shows my great-grandfather and my great grandmother. The second shows two pictures of my great-grandmother with others - she is wearing a hat in each. I have these pictures.

Larry Ryan wrote in a February 20, 1979 letter, quoting his Aunt Eileen, my great-aunt, who couldn't come to the US because of eye disease and who I met in Ireland:

Thanks for the picture of Ma. She loved hats with bunches of flowers and fruit. Once she had a hat with a bird's nest on top and a bird perched on top of it, wagging it's tail in her face. My, it was awful, but Ma thought it was lovely.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf greatgrandmothergreatgrandfather2.pdf (376.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf greatgrandmotherothers.pdf (231.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by lakechampainer; 16 Jul 17 at 14:02..
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!