StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Russia, Central Asia, and The Caucasus > South Ossetian Conflict

Notices and Announcements

South Ossetian Conflict Discuss the conflict between Georgia and Russia over South Ossetia.

Old 08 Jul 09, 18:12
Major General
Estonia
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200]
Sure, there was a similar movement in 19th century waiting for the white ship. There are several other similar sects as well. I've no idea what it has to with this thread though.

I am happy if the risk doesn't materialize, but that doesn't mean the risk doesn't exist. As an interesting development Armenia, the supposedly stoutest ally of Russia in the region, has just last week decorated Saakashvili with their highest order. A show of support to promote stability just before the critical time? It looks like Russia will have to settle for Hamas and Nicaragua for some while still.
Old 08 Jul 09, 18:31
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Sami
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Well they are known to have pushed up the date for the arrival of the ship a couple off times, hopefully you will not go on like that.

A facinating piece of history, but a very tragic one. I still can recall the words from the old man when he got back home and they had hanged his grandchild to prove their fate and that god protected her... Mentioned in the book "Silverarken", a quite rare book by the way... Think I had to pay 500sek for it.

Max Sterner

Last edited by Erkki; 08 Jul 09 at 18:36..
Old 09 Jul 09, 02:31
Major General
Estonia

pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
Well they are known to have pushed up the date for the arrival of the ship a couple off times, hopefully you will not go on like that.
I don't think I promised you anything. I might give you another heads up if I find that there's cause to think the risk has increased again. I think its useful to shine light on such situations as it will make obfuscating later on more difficult and thus might even have deterrent effects.

BTW I haven't seen reports whether the extra troops have left yet so I don't think the elevated risk is quite over, however the lack of provocations/increase of tension at this point is comforting. There's also increased signs of some positive developments behind the scenes like the considerable scaling back of Kremlin support to the nashis. Are these yet another sign of Putin - Medvedev power struggle? I don't know.
Old 09 Jul 09, 13:27
Sami
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
BTW I haven't seen reports whether the extra troops have left yet so I don't think the elevated risk is quite over, however the lack of provocations/increase of tension at this point is comforting. There's also increased signs of some positive developments behind the scenes like the considerable scaling back of Kremlin support to the nashis. Are these yet another sign of Putin - Medvedev power struggle? I don't know.
There is no Power struggle as I understand it. Medvedev and Putin basicly think the same. I read a good comparisin somewhere I see if I can find it.

Max Sterner
Old 09 Jul 09, 13:58
Sami

Here you gohttp://www.russiatoday.ru/About_Us/B...009-07-03.html

Max Sterner
Sponsored Links

Old 09 Jul 09, 16:30
Major General
Estonia

Quote:
Medvedev and Putin basicly think the same
I didn't know you can read both of their minds. Impressive!
Old 02 Aug 09, 13:44
Lieutenant Colonel
Poland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 

Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp(est) View Post
Since Russia failed in achieving its goals last year a number of experts are predicting a reprisal of last years events. The troops are already in place with the Kavkaz 2009 exercises ongoing. Possibly the best time for the attack would be on or right after July 6 when the exercises end. Doing it right after Obama visit would leave the impression of Obama approval on the move. The toothless response to Iran's events suggest that Obama would at best express grave concern and leave it at that.

I'd give the percentage of this happening at 25%. Russia's economy is in serious trouble and the attack would rattle it further - I'd think Putin is not willing to risk it now. Also I see little evidence of a build-up of incidents that preceded the previous war. Of course that could be fixed quickly.
I give 80%. They just started a new provocations.

Historia Wojskowa Portal Historyczno-Wojskowy phw.org.pl
Old 02 Aug 09, 13:51
Sami

It might aswell be the Georgians, they are both pretty good at that.

Max Sterner
Old 02 Aug 09, 13:58
Lieutenant Colonel
Poland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 

Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100] Barbaross@ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
It might aswell be the Georgians, they are both pretty good at that.
They both have dirty hands, but now it is only Putin who have interes in escalation. Their gas monopoly will be in danger in fact, that Nabucco pipe line had been contracted, and build will start soon.

Historia Wojskowa Portal Historyczno-Wojskowy phw.org.pl
Old 02 Aug 09, 14:01
Sami

There is no monopoly, just Russian dominance of the market.

Max Sterner
Old 02 Aug 09, 14:25
General of the Forums
Russia
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaross@ View Post
They both have dirty hands, but now it is only Putin who have interes in escalation. Their gas monopoly will be in danger in fact, that Nabucco pipe line had been contracted, and build will start soon.
Putin surely does have some interest, but one shouldn't discount Saakashvili's problems with the opposition - having an external enemy that wouldn't ever go as far as to crush you completely is a real find for an authoritarian leader like him.

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour
Old 04 Aug 09, 00:03
Zombie Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
This may be nothing, or it could be everything...but a large convoy of units was seen presumably heading towards Georgia yesterday. Some "experts" are saying this week is the best time for an invasion of Georgia and recent statements claiming the Georgians are throwing mortars over the border is adding to the tensions.

http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng/cont...02/10843.shtml

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.
Old 04 Aug 09, 08:27
Major General
Estonia

Russia has declared it has elevated its troops to combat readiness in the region. They are also conducting exercises in a very similar manner to last year. Unfortunately it looks bad. My brain still refuses to believe that they would really do this as the fallout may well break Russia's already economic spine, but on the other hand given US current disposition and Georgia's quick rearmament program this is probably the best chance for a long time.

I still say the chance of a repeat invasion is less than 50% but it is still considerable. If it happens, this time the plan has got to be to capture Tbilisi. If I were in charge of Georgian defences, I would be busy calling in reservists to form them up properly this time (Georgia's biggest failure last time around) and building fortifications.
Old 04 Aug 09, 13:05
General of the Forums
Romania
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600]
If that happens we'll see if Obama has traded Georgia for Afghanistan.
Old 05 Aug 09, 13:19
Sergeant
Poland

pawelj is on the path to success [1-99] pawelj is on the path to success [1-99]
Russia is accusing US of arming Georgia. I hope it is true as there is nothing wrong with two sovereign countries supplying military equipment, especially as one a victim of continuous intimidation, and having parts of its territory occupied by an larger state with imperial delusions of grandeur.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!