StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Russia, Central Asia, and The Caucasus > South Ossetian Conflict

Notices and Announcements

South Ossetian Conflict Discuss the conflict between Georgia and Russia over South Ossetia.

Old 26 Apr 09, 22:54
Major General
Estonia
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200]
Erkki, why don't you show some results from NK elections and referendums for good measure. When I meant referendum - I meant proper, monitored referendum after a cooldown period and with all residents allowed to cast their vote. 99% pshaw why not 120% while they're at it.
Old 27 Apr 09, 08:32
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Sami
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Ah maybe that, so you agree that S Ossetia isn´t traditoanly part of Georgia? Like I showed you several times before, or was it shamil?

Max Sterner
Old 27 Apr 09, 09:16
Major General
Estonia
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200] pp(est) is walking in the light [200]
Erkki, I don't much care whether it is or isn't. However I do know that there are more convincing arguments for claiming it is. But as I said - I personally couldn't care less.
Old 27 Apr 09, 10:39
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsDavid View Post
anyone know, for instance, the main 3 reasons why georgia can't or won't adopt this strategy?
Because countries don't do that. You could just as well as why didn't Lincoln just let the South go, or why didn't England just let the US go in 1776.

In addition, it wouldn't do them any good. The Russians' goal is to subdue Georgia, regardless of what the Georgians due re South Ossetia and Abkhazia. I anticipate another attack by the Russians against Georgia before Christmas, and probably this summer.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 27 Apr 09, 14:46
Sami
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp(est) View Post
Erkki, I don't much care whether it is or isn't. However I do know that there are more convincing arguments for claiming it is. But as I said - I personally couldn't care less.
Ah such as?

Max Sterner
Sponsored Links

Old 27 Apr 09, 14:50
Sami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
In addition, it wouldn't do them any good. The Russians' goal is to subdue Georgia, regardless of what the Georgians due re South Ossetia and Abkhazia. I anticipate another attack by the Russians against Georgia before Christmas, and probably this summer.
Again? When was the first time? During the soviet perieod?

What would thay gain by that? Anything they could have wanted they could have taken in august.

Max Sterner
Old 27 Apr 09, 14:56
General of the Forums
Hungary

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
Again? When was the first time? During the soviet perieod?
Good question. There have been several attacks. I was referring to the most recent one.
Quote:
What would thay gain by that? Anything they could have wanted they could have taken in august.
IMHO, it is because Georgia is not the target -- it is a training aid. The goal is to maintain intimidation of the "near abroad" and weaken NATO. It is also to help Putin et al retain power. Georgia is just convenient.

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
Old 27 Apr 09, 15:04
Sami

Quote:
Good question. There have been several attacks. I was referring to the most recent one.
Ah you mean the counter attak.

Quote:
IMHO, it is because Georgia is not the target -- it is a training aid. The goal is to maintain intimidation of the "near abroad" and weaken NATO. It is also to help Putin et al retain power. Georgia is just convenient.
Doubtfully. Since Russia didn´t deploy much of their modern military equipment. Not sure if they even used T-80 like PP(est) claims. I haven´t seen anything more modern then upgraded T-72 and T-64.

I think NATO would be weaker with Georgia then without, at least with their unstabel president.

I also doubt that Putin gains much of invading Georgia, his popluarity is indeed dropping, but that is happening to politicians all over the world beacause of the economic crises.

Max Sterner
Old 27 Apr 09, 15:07
General of the Forums
Hungary

Quote:
Ah you mean the counter attak.
If you say so.
Quote:
Doubtfully. Since Russia didn´t deploy much of their modern military equipment. Not sure if they even used T-80 like PP(est) claims. I haven´t seen anything more modern then upgraded T-72 and T-64.

I think NATO would be weaker with Georgia then without, at least with their unstabel president.

I also doubt that Putin gains much of invading Georgia, his popluarity is indeed dropping, but that is happening to politicians all over the world beacause of the economic crises.
You have my prediction and I stand by it. Time will tell.

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
Old 27 Apr 09, 15:14
Sami

Quote:
If you say so.
Yep... No T-90:s or T-80:s, no heavy AT weapons with the Peacekeepers, the lack of Spetsnaz units, the fact that VDV wasn´t there at the begining of the war, No other elite divisions, no overwhelming airsupport. And that the commander of the 54 or 58 army was wounded in a ambush when only a small part of his units entered SO to relive the already attaked Peacekeepers.

Quote:

You have my prediction and I stand by it. Time will tell.
Yep...

Max Sterner
Old 27 Apr 09, 16:27
Brigadier General
Poland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200] Draco Borealis is walking in the light [200]
Why don't Georgia let Ossetia go? Well for the same reasons Russia don't want Chechenia or Tatarstan go. Although I blame more those who created the Kosova out of the Serbia; it was dangerous precedence to break Helsinki accord on integrality of European borders only to apease Saudis.
Old 27 Apr 09, 16:40
Sami

Checneya is complicated, it demanding independence was just one reason for the military operation...

Max Sterner

Last edited by Erkki; 27 Apr 09 at 16:44..
Old 27 Apr 09, 16:45
General of the Forums
Hungary

Quote:
Checneya is complicated, it demanding independence was just one reason for the military operation...
OK then keep it simple -- why doesn't Russia just let South Ossetia go?

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
Old 27 Apr 09, 16:51
Sami

Well if we go to the very basic: Humans are animals, they have just more complicated rituals and tend to be less logical but a analog would be: Why doesn´t male lions just leave their territories?

Max Sterner
Old 27 Apr 09, 17:40
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Male lions leave their territory all the time. It is usually when some other Lion(s) make them leave. Females on the other hand tend to stay in one area.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!