StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare > Military Photos

Notices and Announcements

Military Photos Have you got an iconic military photo? Post it here!

Old 01 Mar 11, 14:02
General of the Forums
Russia
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
An update of photos and videos

Video collection of Larenkov's pictures which has been put on permanent display in the Rumyantsev Mansion in St. Petersburg

"Song about Ladoga" clip - as it happens on Youtube, the clip is full of incorrect information, but at least the sound quality is good.

A piece of an American wartime documentary - they've got it wrong and trains have never crossed the pile-based railroad actross the lake. It is true that such road was designed and it was about 2/3 complete by the January 1943, but it was taken apart immediately as the land corridor was liberated.

http://vimeo.com/18293592

Cartoon made of kids' drawings, based on a true story about a postman boy which took place during the siege. When cold and hunger struck, he got caught in the midst of an air raid and sought shelter under the arch of a nearby house. Fainting from hunger and exhaustion, he fell on a snowdrift to become yet another victim of the siege.
Suddenly he woke up and felt something in his mouth - a toffee candy. There was no one around to thank for this unexpected and incredible help. It was only after the end of the war when he learned who was his saviour.

A few Larenkov's pics:

Leningrad/St.Petersburg 1942/2010 Destroyed building on Moskovskiy prospekt/5th Krasnoarmeyskaya street

Leningrad,1942/ St.Petersburg,2010 Kronverkskaya street

Leningrad / St Petersburg, Arts square , Mikhailovsky Theatre. 1944/2010

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour
Old 20 Dec 11, 18:48
General of the Forums
Russia
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paintings from the Central Museum of Russian Armed Forces. As there's no special "Siege of Leningrad paintings thread" I'm posting them here. The first one is by Solomon Boim, a well-known Soviet water colour artist. I don't remember the names of the authors of the other two paintings.

Artillery shelling on the Nevsky

MPVO girls

The hunger

Old 24 Dec 11, 02:00
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Communists or no, it's commendable that the people of Leningrad did everything possible to survive and fight the Germans.

Honestly, when I look at the pictures, all I can think is saying to myself, "Thank God I am an American!"

You know, had Japanese fought us on the US mainland, and going through what people experienced in Leningrad, at least I would have the comfort of knowing that I was fighting for a nation that cherishes freedom and liberty for all instead of an evil tyrant like Stalin. The citizens of Leningrad didn't have that choice.

Nonetheless, the pictures are great! I sure hope you can continue posting more pictures like that.

Dan

So much for his intellectual superiority.

God help all of us.
Old 24 Dec 11, 04:17
General of the Forums
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah772 View Post
Communists or no, it's commendable that the people of Leningrad did everything possible to survive and fight the Germans.

Honestly, when I look at the pictures, all I can think is saying to myself, "Thank God I am an American!"

You know, had Japanese fought us on the US mainland, and going through what people experienced in Leningrad, at least I would have the comfort of knowing that I was fighting for a nation that cherishes freedom and liberty for all instead of an evil tyrant like Stalin. The citizens of Leningrad didn't have that choice.

Nonetheless, the pictures are great! I sure hope you can continue posting more pictures like that.

Dan
I would disagree with you. For the absolute majority of people it was a fight for their own survival and the survival of their nation, which stood above the Communism, Stalin or anything else. As the siege progressed, the initial anger, fear and confusion changed with deep cold hatred, according to many diaries. I'm not sure the Americans would consider their liberties as the first and foremost reason to keep on fighting if they saw the heads of their friends and loved ones chopped off and lined up in neat rows like what the Japanese did in Manchuria. Ideological motivation matters when you're fighting far away from home and the goal is not too ovious. Here everybody could see what they are fighting for.

Thanks for your response, I'll post a few more new pics from some Russian sites soon.

Old 26 Jan 12, 15:35
General of the Forums
Russia

On January 27, 1944 the Siege of Leningrad was declared lifted.

Yuri Pantyukhin. "Blockade. The memory" (2005)

Old 27 Jan 12, 14:06
General of the Forums
Russia

Some pictures from today's wreath-laying event at the Piskaryovskoye cemetery:

Honour guard.

Young cadets with green-and-olive Siege of Leningrad commemorative ribbons.

Hundreds of people from different organisations and veteran groups came to the cemetery in the -18C frost to remember and honour the fallen.

V. Putin visited the ceremony today. His brother whom he had never seen, died of starvation during the siege and was probably buried at this cemetery along with the other 420 000 people.

A short speech by a sports veteran who survived the siege. The group is standing at the plaque dedicated to the athletes Leningrad who fought to defend their city and their country.

Old 29 Jan 12, 14:59
General of the Forums
Russia

Recently published pictures of the Siege

After an air raid. Location unknown, there's a grocery store in the background

Barricades next to the Kirov Metalworks

Nevsky Prospekt, 7. Sandbagged and boarded windows

Kids leaving a bomb shelter

Winter 1941/1942

Announcement of the sale of hot drinking water, no more than 1 liter per person

Water tap on a street. Note the frozen houses - public transport, electricity, heating, running water and sewers stopped functioning in the city in December 1941

Two old ladies collecting the remains of a dead horse blown to pieces by an artillery shell. The body of the man who walked with it is laying nearby.

Dead body being carried to a cemetery in spring 1942

Propaganda stand: "Fiery greetings to the glorious defenders of Leningrad! Long live Leningraders - glorious and patriotic men and women of our country!"

"The canteen is to be reopened soon. We buy plates, dinner sets, etc. for cash"

Lend-Lease aid, possibly at a pier on the coast of the Ladoga lake

Old 29 Jan 12, 15:09
General of the Forums
Russia

"Death to childkillers!" poster and a gas holder balloon

"Kill a German! Avenge! Kill a German! This is what your mother asks you! Kill a German! This is what a baby begs you for! Kill a German - this is what your native land screams! Do not miss, do not let him escape - kill!"

Toys, balls, sleighs and other goods for sale at a street stand

Mapping the advance of the Allies into the Reich - 1944

"Heave-ho!" Summer 1944, Nevsky prospekt, 30-32

Old 30 Jan 12, 22:56
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
"Heave ho" ?
I better leave that one alone...

Great map in the street there, looks like about November of 44.

That Gas Balloon... for propane? Wow, makes me wonder if they would shoot anyone stupid enough to be smoking around that thing.
I would.
If your argument is that the government doesn't spy on its own citizens then you're completely oblivious to reality.
Blaming the Las Vegas massacre on gun owners is like blaming 9-11 on frequent fliers.
Old 01 Feb 12, 16:08
General of the Forums
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcist View Post
"Heave ho" ?
I better leave that one alone...
You could at least be helpful to point out what's wrong with this. This is not another political thread after all. I know the idiom, but the dictionaries say it's used as a term for pulling something up, generally by sailors, but also by people of other professions. The original text was "Let's get the job done!", and in a way the poster's style seemed to be closer to American posters of that time than to those made in the SU. At least this is my impression.

Quote:
Great map in the street there, looks like about November of 44.
Quite possibly this is late October - the woman is holding her hand in the area of the Dukla Pass, where the fighting continued until the end of this month.

Quote:
That Gas Balloon... for propane? Wow, makes me wonder if they would shoot anyone stupid enough to be smoking around that thing.
I would.
This is a gas holder, barrage balloons looked a bit different - with pointed noses and "wings" in the rear part. They were filled with hydrogen, which was very hard to get in the besieged city. The standard raw materials couldn't be delivered in required quantities and many factories were stopped because of electricity shortages, and to produce hydrogen they poured water over superheated metal rods. The percentage of hydrogen in its mixture with air didn't have to go lower than 73%, otherwise it became hightly flammable. But because of the short supply of hydrogen, it was filled to the proportion of around 75%, and a single shell splinter would make it a balloon explode immediately (with a higher percentage the gas would either leak out or there would be some time to run). There were cases when shell explosions killed or tossed away 3 of the 4 people carrying a balloon and the only man holding it would go up in the air, holding his rope. In some cases they landed safely, in one case a guy got carried to the Gulf of Finland, landed in the water, but got killed by German machinegunners shooting from the coast near Peterhof.

Sponsored Links

Old 03 Feb 12, 06:03
General of the Forums
Russia

Lifting of the Siege operation photos, 1944

German POWs on Moskovsky prospekt, January-February 1944

Gatchina (southern Imperial suburb of St. Petersburg, residence of emperor Paul I)

When the Germans captured the town on September 13, 1941, it was for some time the HQ of the 18th Army and the regional SD department responsible for implementing Nazi policies of ethnic cleansing and running concentration camps. A swastika was mounted on a 33 meter obelisk built at the order of emperor Paul I. When the town was liberated on January 26, 1944, some Soviet artillerymen wanted to use a 45mm gun to knock the Nazi symbol down as no ladders of such length were available at the moment. However, cooler heads prevailed: it was decided not to damage the monument by gunfire and a special fire truck with an extra long ladder was called from Leningrad.

Old 12 May 12, 13:46
General of the Forums
Russia

Road of Life diorama in the Kokkorevo museum. That's the best I could do without a tripod. I wonder if there's any other software beside Panorama Maker allowing for more detailed adjustment like moving and editing pics while stitching each two parts together.

Edit: I've just figured out how to shrink pics in Picasa. Here you are

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panorama%25202.JPG (309.7 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by ShAA; 12 May 12 at 14:34..
Old 12 May 12, 13:51
Sergeant Major
UK

calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99]
Wow. Some amazing pictures there ShAA thanks for sharing
Old 13 May 12, 16:49
General of the Forums
Russia

THE THREE CROSSES

For burning Paris in the night,
Its children's and women's terrible plight,
An Iron Cross was bestowed upon
This murderer with much pomp

Then he took part in London raids
Leaving streets engulfed in flames
And Hitler, reveling in gore,
Presented him his next award

Leningrad was his next mission
Where he foresaw little opposition
This time the murderer got fooled
His third cross wasn't made of iron, but wood!

Old 13 Jun 12, 01:33
General of the Forums
Russia

German "connoisseurs of art" in Peterhof

Attached Images
File Type: jpg iufnf0epPG8.jpg (283.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg cn24mDtfc8M.jpg (232.3 KB, 32 views)

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!