HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War

Notices and Announcements

Weapons of War The machinery of warfare. .

Old 29 Mar 09, 19:44
Private
United_States

Gromph is on the path to success [1-99]
Top 10 pistols of WW1

Hi I'm back if you read my last post in the 10 top riles of WW1 I can now use 5 pistols so I don't need 10 rifles but 5 rifles and 5 pistols so if you you have an opinion on the pistols I'm open to suggestions now I have 4

1)M1904 Navy Parabellum
2)M 1896 Mauser Pistol
3)M1915 Beretta pistol
4)M1911 pistol
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 30 Mar 09, 03:09
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100]
MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100]
Oh never mind, my fault, I thought you were talking about WWII.

"Man is a military animal, glories in gunpowder, and loves parade."
--P. J. Bailey, British poet

Last edited by MonsterZero; 30 Mar 09 at 03:18..
Old 30 Mar 09, 03:09
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100]
MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100]
double post

"Man is a military animal, glories in gunpowder, and loves parade."
--P. J. Bailey, British poet
Old 30 Mar 09, 06:46
Gunnery Sergeant
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

webley is on the path to success [1-99] webley is on the path to success [1-99]
Webley MK VI
Old 30 Mar 09, 07:36
General
Sweden
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Johan Banér is a jewel in the rough [500]
Johan Banér is a jewel in the rough [500] Johan Banér is a jewel in the rough [500] Johan Banér is a jewel in the rough [500] Johan Banér is a jewel in the rough [500] Johan Banér is a jewel in the rough [500] Johan Banér is a jewel in the rough [500] Johan Banér is a jewel in the rough [500] Johan Banér is a jewel in the rough [500] Johan Banér is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by webley View Post
Webley MK VI
[nitpick]Surely that is what's technically known as a "revolver", rather than a "pistol", right?[end-nitpick]
Old 30 Mar 09, 11:55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Zap Brannigan is on the path to success [1-99] Zap Brannigan is on the path to success [1-99] Zap Brannigan is on the path to success [1-99] Zap Brannigan is on the path to success [1-99] Zap Brannigan is on the path to success [1-99] Zap Brannigan is on the path to success [1-99]
What, no Nagant revolver?
I just added it not for its combat value ( near zero) but because I own one and its a blast to shoot.
Old 30 Mar 09, 12:39
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200]
The Colt 1911 was such a great pistol it was the prime sidearm of the US military until the 1990's. A timeless design.
Old 30 Mar 09, 13:57
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400]
Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400] Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400] Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400] Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400] Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400]
I have several of these; here would be my top five, admittedly "fun to shoot" is part of my criteria:

Colt M1911. Hands-down the winner for reasons oft discussed.

Webley Mk. VI - solid, good stopping power, fast to unload.

Mauser Broomhandle - ten-round capacity. I don't think the shoulder stock helps that much but others might disagree. A red nine is probably better than the .30 cal. model, but either are outstanding as long as you keep up with the pieces when field stripping.

Smith & Wesson 1917 (in .45 ACP) - classic design, a lot like the Webley to shoot.

[tie] Steyr - 8-round capacity, good overall pistol, not well balanced; French Mod. 1892, good small-caliber revolver.

In a trench fight, I would prefer any of the above to an 1895 Nagant, a 1910 Glisenti, or anything Belgium was using (the Belgian stuff was very well made but the calibers were too small for my comfort). I've seen but do not own a Gasser, which looks like a beast.

Why not the Luger? It was a great-looking pistol that got by on its looks. It's angled grip made it a bit finicky, it's kick is moderately stout, and I could see how it would have fouling problems. Also, I don't like a pistol that can still shoot once after its receiver is detached from the grip and trigger; it's like a decapitated snake that can still bite.

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)
Old 30 Mar 09, 18:44
Gunnery Sergeant
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

webley is on the path to success [1-99] webley is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Banér View Post
[nitpick]Surely that is what's technically known as a "revolver", rather than a "pistol", right?[end-nitpick]
It is specifically a Revolver but also a pistol.
Old 30 Mar 09, 19:00
Banned
United_States

Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700]
what he said.
Sponsored Links

Old 31 Mar 09, 18:29
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jordan View Post
I have several of these; here would be my top five, admittedly "fun to shoot" is part of my criteria:

Colt M1911. Hands-down the winner for reasons oft discussed.

Webley Mk. VI - solid, good stopping power, fast to unload.

Mauser Broomhandle - ten-round capacity. I don't think the shoulder stock helps that much but others might disagree. A red nine is probably better than the .30 cal. model, but either are outstanding as long as you keep up with the pieces when field stripping.

Smith & Wesson 1917 (in .45 ACP) - classic design, a lot like the Webley to shoot.

[tie] Steyr - 8-round capacity, good overall pistol, not well balanced; French Mod. 1892, good small-caliber revolver.

In a trench fight, I would prefer any of the above to an 1895 Nagant, a 1910 Glisenti, or anything Belgium was using (the Belgian stuff was very well made but the calibers were too small for my comfort). I've seen but do not own a Gasser, which looks like a beast.

Why not the Luger? It was a great-looking pistol that got by on its looks. It's angled grip made it a bit finicky, it's kick is moderately stout, and I could see how it would have fouling problems. Also, I don't like a pistol that can still shoot once after its receiver is detached from the grip and trigger; it's like a decapitated snake that can still bite.
Jon's list except I'd put the Luger P08 9mm over the Steyr............

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 01 Apr 09, 12:13
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Here's a few more to consider..........

-Webley-Fosbury .455 cal. "automatic-revolver"

http://www.cornellpubs.com/Templates...0Revolvers.htm

-Mosin-Nagant M1895 7.62mm revolver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagant_M1895

Peace through superior firepower.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!