HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 14 Mar 09, 07:18
Brigadier General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Chukka is on a distinguished road [300] Chukka is on a distinguished road [300] Chukka is on a distinguished road [300] Chukka is on a distinguished road [300] Chukka is on a distinguished road [300] Chukka is on a distinguished road [300] Chukka is on a distinguished road [300] Chukka is on a distinguished road [300] Chukka is on a distinguished road [300] Chukka is on a distinguished road [300] Chukka is on a distinguished road [300] Chukka is on a distinguished road [300] Chukka is on a distinguished road [300]
C47-Waco Glider Pickup-"Close line snatch"

This is amazing, another reason why WW2 Pilots, and glider pilots in particular, must have had nerves and balls of steel. I was doing a little research on building a particular Control line model aircraft (Whip powered U Control) at this site; http://www.modelairplanekit.net/modelairplanekit02.php and I came across plans for Waco Glider that was designed to be hooked up from the ground and towed by a control line plane. Neat trick thinks I, and went looking for some pics of a control line model flier doing this. I was stunned to realise that in WW2 that they actually did this.

More info and a back story at http://atterburybakalarairmuseum.org/serv02.htm
From the page;

"June 1944 several gliders arrived at the air field and were the first reported at the field. Also, on June 19, 1944 a glider landed in a cow pasture east of the airfield on the Marr farm. The glider was snatched from the field the next day by a C-47 in an air-ground "close line snatch." An experienced C-47 pilot and glider pilot from Stout Field at Indianapolis were called upon to make the pick-up. A jeep pulled the glider to the corner of the field and a tow line was laid out in front of the glider and stretched across two vertical poles about 12 feet high. It took four tries for the C-47 pilot to pick up the glider. It became a common site around the area for gliders to make unscheduled stops in farm fields."

There is another reference at

http://www.hrmconsultancy.net/pprune/AP129.pdf,
from a manual which seems to indicate that it was not an isolated field expediency.

Crazy stuff. Anyone ever heard of this happening in a combat zone? One would think not, but history keeps on springing suprises on us all

The two most important days of your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why - Mark Twain
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 16 Mar 09, 08:39
Brigadier General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100]
What did they call this: operation certain death?

I suppose in principal you could use this sort of method to rescue mussolini in the same glider that delivered the paras who got him out of the sports hotel, but the chances of it going wrong are high.
Old 16 Mar 09, 10:46
Lieutenant General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sym View Post
What did they call this: operation certain death?

I suppose in principal you could use this sort of method to rescue mussolini in the same glider that delivered the paras who got him out of the sports hotel, but the chances of it going wrong are high.

Skorzeny got him out in a Feisler Storch as apparently the Germans only trained on glider landings..not pickups .

I also read some place that the fuselages of the pickup aircraft got stretched by a few inches due to the force of pickups.....this happend over a period of time due nto the a/c being used repeatadly for training.

per ardua ad astra

Last edited by Bow; 16 Mar 09 at 10:50..
Old 16 Mar 09, 11:06
Brigadier General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100] peter_sym has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I know that... apparently the Storch was a last minute plan B. The original idea was to use a Focke Wulf helicopter. My idea of Mussolini was about the only theoretical use of this idea... I thought about medi-vac but takeoff and landing would be too hard on guys so wounded they'd need evacuation.

Why else would you want to do it?
Old 16 Mar 09, 12:37
Major General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Roadkiller is simply cracking [600]
Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600]
The process was fairly common for "picking up' dispatches, letters, messages, etc from units near the front.

I would have thought that trying it on anything heavier would result in the pick up plane pancaking the ground! Great find.
Old 16 Mar 09, 13:28
Brigadier General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Thats what I thought too... the C47 would be yanked out of the sky if it tried hooking onto a fully loaded glider. Seems a hell of a risk for despatches though! Couldn't they be fitted into something smaller?
Old 16 Mar 09, 14:47
Major General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Roadkiller is simply cracking [600]
Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600]
Sorry Peter, I was talking about two different processes.

The dispatches were put into a mail bag and a snag mechanism like the one in the photos was rigged.

For a LONNNNG time rigging one of these was a scenario used as a test in the Canadian Forces Junior Leadership Course. If I had I known when I took the course that you could snag something as heavy as a glider, I might have put my whole squad into a crate or something and been airlifted to safety

Last edited by Roadkiller; 16 Mar 09 at 14:50..
Old 16 Mar 09, 20:39
First Sergeant
Netherlands

macfrank is on the path to success [1-99] macfrank is on the path to success [1-99] macfrank is on the path to success [1-99] macfrank is on the path to success [1-99]
GREAT photo's!
Old 16 Mar 09, 22:30
ACG Forums - General Staff
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
For those who want an animated pic to keep...

Attached Images
File Type: gif Snatch_Final_3.gif (41.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 26 Mar 09, 19:30
Staff Sergeant
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Steve Wright is on the path to success [1-99] Steve Wright is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkiller View Post
The process was fairly common for "picking up' dispatches, letters, messages, etc from units near the front.

I would have thought that trying it on anything heavier would result in the pick up plane pancaking the ground!
The British Horsa was also snatched.

Glider Pilot Regiment 1942 - 1945
The Last Drop: Operation Varsity 24-25 March 1945
The Assault Glider Trust
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!