HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > Basic Training

Notices and Announcements

Basic Training This area is for forum announcements, testing, technical requests, or site feedback.

Old 07 Feb 09, 11:29
ACG Forums - Morale Officer
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Help required. I can't rename my pictures anymore.

Hello everyone.
I need your help today.
I am unable to rename my little pictures.
As of last night, I began getting the following message in a small box on the screen...

"If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable.
Are you sure you want to change it?
Yes or no?"

Normally, I just right click, select rename, give it a name, select save, and that's it.

Now, if I select yes, I get a small white box with no picture.

My attempts to fix the problem are, using scan disk, and spy-bot.
The problem began when I tried to rename my voodoo picture.
I wanted to resize it, and it happened.

Please help me.
Slug

Last edited by Slug; 07 Feb 09 at 11:31..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 07 Feb 09, 12:42
ACG Commanding Officer
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Did you rename it to something with an extension that is the same as what it was?

stooges.gif --> stooges-rename.gif

If you rename it to stooges (no extension) you may have problems.

"the hole in the sky that nightmares fall out of" -- one description of the B2 Stealth Bomber
Old 07 Feb 09, 13:05
ACG Forums - Morale Officer
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
Did you rename it to something with an extension that is the same as what it was?

stooges.gif --> stooges-rename.gif

If you rename it to stooges (no extension) you may have problems.
Thank you for responding.

This is an example of my file keeping and what I have done for years while I am here.
  • find a picture of Rodney on Metacrawler.
  • save to Mike's pictures. Just give it a name like 01010901a
  • If I want to use it avatar size, I do this...copy it, remove copy from the name, and rename the copy, 01010901b.
  • Then, I'll resize it to avatar size and save it.
  • Now, I can't rename the copy.
  • Or if I do, I get a while square, without Rodney.
  • I must have hit a stupid button or something. Now I'm depressed...
Old 07 Feb 09, 15:19
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900]
Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900] Bwaha has earned the respect of all [900]
I use IMGboot. http://www.imgboot.com/index.php
Hope that helps.
Old 07 Feb 09, 15:35
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
It sounds like Brian is right and that you have changed or removed a file extension.

In Windows Explorer, open Tools(off the top toolbar), Folder Options, click the View tab, and check that "Hide extensions for known programs" is unchecked. This should make all your file extensions visible. If your pictures have no file extensions, attach ".jpg or .jpeg" to them. If that doesn't work, try other graphic file extensions like: .png, .gif, .bmp, etc.
Old 09 Feb 09, 13:36
ACG Commanding Officer
United_States
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Looking at the example in the screenshot, it looks like all the file extensions are already visible. Try renaming your file to include the same suffix as the original and that should work.

"the hole in the sky that nightmares fall out of" -- one description of the B2 Stealth Bomber
Old 09 Feb 09, 18:48
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
Looking at the example in the screenshot, it looks like all the file extensions are already visible. Try renaming your file to include the same suffix as the original and that should work.
Good catch. Oops on me .

The screen shot does point out that you have removed the file extension for the Stooges file you have highlighted.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!