HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks

Notices and Announcements

The Barracks For stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Members can retire from the serious discussions elsewhere on the forums...and relax here.

Old 05 Feb 09, 05:21
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500]
RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500]
Celebrities who served...Air Force

I did three posts quite a while back about celebrities who served in the US Military. It's helpful to know that some out there served their country rather than sitting back and whining about the military industrial complex and such. I did threads on the Army, the Navy, and the Marines, but never got around to the Air Force. I'll remedy that now.

George Carlin: Now-deceased comic legend served in the Air Force in the 1950s as a radar technician, but was discharged early, being regarded by his superiors as an "unproductive airman." While in the service, Carlin also took a job as a radio DJ in nearby Shreveport, Louisiana. He started a comedy team while working there, and the rest is history.

Boxcar Willie: Country legend served 22 years in the Air Force, retired with honor, and then began his country music career.

Johnny Cash: Country music icon served an enlistment in the Air Force during the Korean War, but served in West Germany.

Paul Rodriguez: Comedian served in the Air Force, where he specialized in communications.

Bob Ross: Famous painter and guru of "happy little trees" served in Alaska for a time, where he got his first glimpse of the trees and mountains that would become recurring themes in his art. He painted in his spare time while actually having to be "the guy who yells at you to scrub the latrine," as he was fond of saying. By the time he left the Air Force, he was making more money selling his paintings on the side than he was from his military pay.

Jimmy Stewart: Yes, he was already mentioned in the Army thread, but after the US Army Air Force became the US Air Force, this Hollywood legend remained an officer in the Air Force reserve, served in Korea, and even later flew on secret B-52 missions in Vietnam as a brigadier general, but kept it from the press, lest they think it was a publicity stunt rather than an officer doing his duty.

Sinbad: Comedian who joined the Air Force to "see the world," but wound up serving in Kansas. He was a boom operator for a KC-135 aerial tanker.

Donovan Chapman: Country music singer served 10 years in the Air Force as part of an elite Pararescue team. After releasing two albums to moderate success, he returned to Afghanistan on active duty for a while.

John Hillerman: Best known as "Higgins" on Magnum PI. Joined the Air Force in 1953, attaining the rank of sergeant before his hitch was up.

Chuck Norris: Professional badass joined the Air Force in 1958, serving in South Korea in military police. There, he began his martial arts training. He was honorably discharged in 1962.

There are others, I am certain, but they aren't coming to me.

Take care.

RF

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 05 Feb 09, 11:46
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award 

GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I was flippin' thru this Willie Nelson bio at the library. There was a picture captioned, "Airman Nelson", or something. Go to Wiki. You can probably find an article about Celebrity American-Military Personnel. I luuuv my Wiki.
Old 05 Feb 09, 13:37
First Lieutenant
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

irontoad is on the path to success [1-99] irontoad is on the path to success [1-99] irontoad is on the path to success [1-99] irontoad is on the path to success [1-99] irontoad is on the path to success [1-99] irontoad is on the path to success [1-99]
Jimmy flew a mission in Vietnam?

Outstanding.
Old 05 Feb 09, 13:57
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100]
What? No Steven Seagal? Another rumor about the man squashed

Last edited by A7V; 05 Feb 09 at 14:01..
Old 05 Feb 09, 15:12
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500]
RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500] RapierFighter is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7V View Post
What? No Steven Seagal? Another rumor about the man squashed
I had never heard that one. I'll have to look that one up.
Old 05 Feb 09, 15:18
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapierFighter View Post
I had never heard that one. I'll have to look that one up.
The rumor I heard was that Seagal was in the Air Force stationed in Korea. He picked up martial arts there. Not Tae Kwan Do but the older one that is like Korean Aikido. He took to it and progressed to Aikido.

I don't think any of the Air Force bit is true though.
Old 05 Feb 09, 16:09
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award 

GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100] GhostSoldier has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Seagal

...go to wiki...find out...we're on the web...you can find anything...about anything.
Old 05 Feb 09, 17:33
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
The rumor I heard was that Seagal was in the Air Force stationed in Korea. He picked up martial arts there. Not Tae Kwan Do but the older one that is like Korean Aikido. He took to it and progressed to Aikido.

I've also heard, read, whatever, that Seagal was a draft dodger. Just something out there.
Old 05 Feb 09, 17:35
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I heard that Seagal was a Secret Service Agent and was part of Carter's security detail.

Homer

BoRG
Old 05 Feb 09, 17:45
General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

redcoat is simply cracking [600]
redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600] redcoat is simply cracking [600]
I've heard that Seagal is a bad actor
Sponsored Links

Old 05 Feb 09, 17:49
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain General View Post
I heard that Seagal was a Secret Service Agent and was part of Carter's security detail.
Well the Wiki article mentions nothing about that or the draft dodging. But I do find it funny that he was in Japan at 18 years old when the Vietnam draft was in full sail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_seagal
Old 05 Feb 09, 17:52
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:

Allegedly, what he studied was Akido. His older films used to start with an intro showing him as a student and then an instructor.
Old 05 Feb 09, 17:59
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

I didn't mean to take away from this thread and make it about steven seagal, can we get back to celebrities in the Air Force.

Sorry Rapier
Old 05 Feb 09, 18:02
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
I didn't mean to take away from this thread and make it about steven seagal, can we get back to celebrities in the Air Force.

Sorry Rapier
I second that and I apologize too.
Old 05 Feb 09, 18:14
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Every other thread on this forum has been hijacked over and over again. What makes this one special?

Or are you promising never to hijack a forum thread anywhere, anytime, for any reason?

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!