StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > The Middle East > Gaza Conflicts

Notices and Announcements

Gaza Conflicts Discuss the series of conflicts between Israel and Gaza militants.

Old 22 Jan 09, 13:35
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Home again, finally.

Hi everybody!

Just got back home today, after a long month or so...

I wanted to share my experience and more so, answer questions and clerfy things about the past operation in the strip, I'll start with what I was up to in the last month and if you have any questions, comments, whatever and you want to hear my humble opinion of it, I'll be more than happy to sound it off.

Well, starting with some basic information about me- I joined the 1st Infantry brigade ('Golani') in November 2005 after basic and advanced training we took part in the 2nd Lebanese war, soon after I went to squad leaders school, returned as a squad leader in basic trainig (it's different than the US method, the closest resemblance for it is a drill instructor) afterwards I was back in my rifle company acting as a platoon sergeant when we held the line in Gaza between July and December 2007, after that I was sent to officer school and after my graduation I was positioned, regretfully, as an instructor in the national training center, I mainly instruct on Urban terrain warfare and CQB, just recently promoted to 1st Lt.

When everything erupted I was sure I'm going to miss it, like I said, for now, I'm just an instructor, there will be no need for me there...but, on Tuesday the 29th I got a phone call from my CO telling me to get back to base as soon as possible.
Actually, I somewhat expected it, I AM an urben warfare instructor and we train in the best place available:
http://www.fxp.co.il/showthread.php?t=353321
There will probably be a use for me and so it turned out we started training regular and reserve units for the big entrance.
But that wasn't enough for me, I didn't want to sit in the balcony, I wanted to be a part of the show..so, simultaneously I had a talk with my C.O who, luckely for me grow up in the same brigade as I did and is the former XO of the northen brigade of Gaza, he felt for me and told me he'll help me out.
So, at the weekend he drove with me to the assembling area of my old battalion that was not far from our base and we went to talk to my former battalion commander to find a spot where I could fit in, he said he'll be more than happy to have an extra set of hands, especially an officer, obviously I couldn't get my old platoon back but I was assiganed to the battalion leader's team (Basiclly about a platoon sized unit that consists of the battalion c.o, his RTO, a medic, the battalion intel and operations officers and the c.o's guard) I geared up and got ready.

A funny thing that happend to me in the assembling area was 2 Strykrs that showed up, turned out they were tested there (one of them by a buddy of mine) and the guys operating them wanted to make sure they won't be mistakenly identified as BRDMs and shot so they drove from unit to unit and introduced it, that immediately made me think of a dissucssion I had here on ACG of what is worse, an M-113 or a Strykr.

Turnes out they were ready ro get in a couple of times before and were stand down for 24 hours, that happened once more...
Finally, on Saturday the 3rd afternoon we got the final word and went in.
That's the last date I can recall, after that it all turned into a blur of events and missions.
We got in and out a coupe of times during the operation so I was able to let everyone know I'm safe and catch up-we were mostly disappointed of what we heared....

Earlier this week we got our orders to get out, for now.
We were all very confused, it was really not what we expected it all to be, we were expacting alot more resistance than what we encountered, more casualties, alot more courge and better weapons from Hamas and that we'll stay in longer and achieve more than what we actually did.
I've been in the strip before, alot of times, that felt just like one of those times only it lasted longer and was of bigger proportions, that did not feel like the BIG operationg we were hoping, waiting and ready for, not for me anyway...

They send us home this morning, unless something big happens I'll be back in my training unit sunday until this period is done and hopefully I'll be back in a leadership role.

Like I said, if you want to asked (or comment) about anything (other than classified weapons, tactics pland and such) I'll be more than happy to answer.

I want to use this opportunity aswell to pray for a fast recuperation for 2 friends of mine:
1st. Lt. Ran Avraham and 2nd Lt. Aharon Karov.
Amen.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 22 Jan 09, 14:05
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Prayers sent. I'm glad you made it back safely.
Old 22 Jan 09, 14:11
Marshal of ACG - XO
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Glad you made it out safe Oded I've read a few weeks ago that the Golani Brigade was the victim of a blue on blue incident resulting in fatalities , can you confirm?
Old 22 Jan 09, 18:07
First Lieutenant
Israel
5 Year Service Ribbon 

CrazyArcher is on the path to success [1-99] CrazyArcher is on the path to success [1-99] CrazyArcher is on the path to success [1-99] CrazyArcher is on the path to success [1-99] CrazyArcher is on the path to success [1-99]
Good to see you back! I wish the fastest recovery to the wounded.
What was the overall reaction of people to the op's termination? I'm sure the soldiers are dissapointed, but.. how much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
I've read a few weeks ago that the Golani Brigade was the victim of a blue on blue incident resulting in fatalities , can you confirm?
I'm not Oded, but yep - that indeed happened. A tank shot a shell on a building where Israeli soldiers were positioned.
Old 22 Jan 09, 18:19
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
Welcome back Oded. Pulling away from the pier is rarely a problem, pulling back into port safelly can be another issue altogether.
Old 22 Jan 09, 18:20
Lieutenant General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Surrey is on a distinguished road [300] Surrey is on a distinguished road [300] Surrey is on a distinguished road [300] Surrey is on a distinguished road [300] Surrey is on a distinguished road [300] Surrey is on a distinguished road [300] Surrey is on a distinguished road [300] Surrey is on a distinguished road [300] Surrey is on a distinguished road [300] Surrey is on a distinguished road [300] Surrey is on a distinguished road [300] Surrey is on a distinguished road [300] Surrey is on a distinguished road [300] Surrey is on a distinguished road [300]
Glad you made it back in one piece
Old 22 Jan 09, 18:25
Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100]
May you end all your missions as healthy as this one. I'm fascinated because like you, I expected Iwo Jima. Perhaps they spent all their wefare coupons on rockets and didn't have enough left over for infantry weapons.
Sadly, I doubt this is the last action. As ex-Navy I probably should let the grunts ask you the good questions. I'll read.
Old 22 Jan 09, 18:27
ACG Forums - General Staff
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Welcome back, mate. Thanks for the update.

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers."
- Carl Sagan.
Old 22 Jan 09, 18:35
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Welcome back -- glad you came home in one piece.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 22 Jan 09, 19:11
First Sergeant
UK

hamasian is on the path to success [1-99]
PLEASE KEEP THESE KINDS OF COMMENTS TO YOURSELF.
FURTHER SUCH STATEMENTS WILL RESULT IN BEING BANNED.
>ACG Staff

Last edited by Duncan; 22 Jan 09 at 19:58..
Sponsored Links

Old 22 Jan 09, 20:24
First Sergeant
UK

Moderation is not discussed publicly.
I have sent you a private reply.
>ACG Staff

Last edited by Duncan; 22 Jan 09 at 21:25..
Old 22 Jan 09, 20:29
First Sergeant
UK

This is not an appropriate thread for this discussion.
Please start a new thread if you wish to address a topic other than the one at hand.
>ACG Staff

Last edited by Duncan; 22 Jan 09 at 21:27..
Old 22 Jan 09, 21:43
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Glad you made it home safely. Prayers said for your friends.

Old 22 Jan 09, 22:15
First Sergeant
UK

OK

Here r points for discussuion

Hi Golani

I can see that you as an army have never entered Gaza.

Only killed 2 Hamas leaders (civilians not militants), but killed around 500 women and children

Hamas was launching tens of rockets on Israel until the ceasefire.

It is not strange u r describing the whole thing as a (show).
Old 22 Jan 09, 22:33
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99]
saw this coming

oh boy

either way, welcome back (if this is a welcome).

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!