HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

View Poll Results: Which war yielded the best combat camera footage?
WW2 6 40.00%
Korea 0 0%
Arab-Israeli wars 1 6.67%
Vietnam 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Jan 09, 08:55
Major General
Finland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100]
The best documentary on the Vietnam war...

What is in your oppinion the best documentary on the Vietnam war?
I myself, have seen half a dozen short ones (one hour to 90min usually), and before my favourite two long ones (multi hour jobs, one was called 'Vietnam the ten thousand day war', I seem to remember, I still have both in VHS somewhere).

But I got myself a christmas present of a long series of a documentary, on the basis of seeing just one part of it on Discovery channel about three years ago, it's called: BATTLEFIELD. Series three: Vietnam. The complete history of Vietnam's key battles.

And it delivers. It gives nicely diagrammed analysis of the key battles, from Dien Bien Phu, to the US operations in 67, to Rolling Thunder, to the Planning of TET and Khe San, to the Execution of them, and through Vietnamisation, and the Canmbodjia operations to the 72 failed NVA offencive, to Linebacker and through to the 75 final attack of the North...

I truly must say that after about seven documentaries, and two large books, one good mid sized one (the one called 'We were warriors', about LZ-XRay). To about four small books about small unit actions in the Marine held areas, and LRP's in the A'shau ect...

This is the most satifying and informative 'all in one' info packet that I have come across...

I fully recommend it (it can be ordered through amazon.co.uk at least)...

Please give any other pointers to anything that you think would be on par, or better to this one!

I chose to put a documentary before a book because in Vietnam we got the chanche to have a visual record of the fighting, that will perhaps never be attainable again... I have incuded a fiew pic's from the documentary's last episode, just to wet your appetites... I'm shure that the makers of the documentary wouldnt mind, as I am of the oppinion that it's a great doc'o!!!

Mr Poundr.

72 offencive, part of the planning...

US troops leaving to home...

Op Linebacker diagram.

NVA amassing for attack...

South Vietnamese fighting back..

North Vietnamese offencive 75

Stuff like this, but spanning 6 dvds and 12 episodes! And they are quality inspite of being about 90min long per episode!

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 21 Jan 09, 09:52
Marshal of ACG - XO
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I've posted a few episodes of Battlefield Vietnam already, here or at Skoblin's Place. They are pretty good compared to most and they tried to use as much actual footage of the event depicted as they could, instead of using the same old stock footage over again. Still for me, the best doc ever on Vietnam is Pierre Schoendoerffer's The Anderson Platoon filmed in 1966 and following a platoon from the 1st Cavalry Division on operations THAYER and IRVING:

Old 21 Jan 09, 10:41
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
good video boonie

ken
do no harm
Old 21 Jan 09, 10:57
Banned
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

medevac has a spectacular aura about [400]
[QUOTE=17poundr;1100462]What is in your oppinion the best documentary on the Vietnam war?
I myself, have seen half a dozen short ones (one hour to 90min usually), and before my favourite two long ones (multi hour jobs, one was called 'Vietnam the ten thousand day war', I seem to remember, I still have both in VHS somewhere).

But I got myself a christmas present of a long series of a documentary, on the basis of seeing just one part of it on Discovery channel about three years ago, it's called: BATTLEFIELD. Series three: Vietnam. The complete history of Vietnam's key battles.

And it delivers. It gives nicely diagrammed analysis of the key battles, from Dien Bien Phu, to the US operations in 67, to Rolling Thunder, to the Planning of TET and Khe San, to the Execution of them, and through Vietnamisation, and the Canmbodjia operations to the 72 failed NVA offencive, to Linebacker and through to the 75 final attack of the North...

I truly must say that after about seven documentaries, and two large books, one good mid sized one (the one called 'We were warriors', about LZ-XRay). To about four small books about small unit actions in the Marine held areas, and LRP's in the A'shau ect...

This is the most satifying and informative 'all in one' info packet that I have come across...

I fully recommend it (it can be ordered through amazon.co.uk at least)...

Please give any other pointers to anything that you think would be on par, or better to this one!

I chose to put a documentary before a book because in Vietnam we got the chanche to have a visual record of the fighting, that will perhaps never be attainable again... I have incuded a fiew pic's from the documentary's last episode, just to wet your appetites... I'm shure that the makers of the documentary wouldnt mind, as I am of the oppinion that it's a great doc'o!!!

Mr Poundr.

72 offencive, part of the planning...

I almost died in this one.
Old 21 Jan 09, 11:14
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award 

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
'Best' is very subjective.

I have Walter Cronkite's series on Vietnam, and while some don't like his slant on the war, you have to hear the war through the people that were actually there and then understand that the possible bias is part of the experience. If you eliminate the historical conditions from the experience, you miss part of the experience.

Then there was the series The Ten Thousand Day War Hosted by I think the name is Michael Maclear. Also worth watching.

I have a series likely less well known called Vietnam Combat which spans 7 dvds and covers the war in a series of logical topics.

I have a series I think might be known to some called Vietnam A Television History on 4 dvds.
It's sad, that the rest of ACG effectively does NOT exist, I won't post on it, and some of the remarks in Politics by some of the members truly does influence my opinions on some of the membership. and it's not a favourable impression.
Old 21 Jan 09, 12:10
General of the Forums
Powflag
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

DeltaOne gives and gets respect [800] DeltaOne gives and gets respect [800]
Medevac - Thanks for the name of that documentary. I think it is one that I saw a bit of but never got the name.
I received as a gift once the Times Magazine three part CD coverage of the Vietnam War. The footage was good but that old wind bag Cronkite was on it.
Old 21 Jan 09, 12:20
Banned
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Medevac - Thanks for the name of that documentary. I think it is one that I saw a bit of but never got the name.
I received as a gift once the Times Magazine three part CD coverage of the Vietnam War. The footage was good but that old wind bag Cronkite was on it.
Actually it was 17poundr that gave the name of the documentary, not me. Have to give credit where it is due.
Old 15 Feb 09, 11:10
Private
Portugal

EliteSoldier is a balanced individual [0]
the best vietnam war documentary i ever saw was :
face of war ,97 days with the marines company .
Old 15 Feb 09, 17:22
First Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hufflepuff44 is on the path to success [1-99] Hufflepuff44 is on the path to success [1-99] Hufflepuff44 is on the path to success [1-99]
A pretty good one was "Vietnam: a television history." It was more a series of Docs, being a TV series, but a good, unbiased show nonetheless. It has some pretty incredible footage too.
Old 15 Feb 09, 20:07
General of the Forums
Powflag
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteSoldier View Post
the best vietnam war documentary i ever saw was :
face of war ,97 days with the marines company .
Never have seen it. When and where did you find/watch it? How old is it?
Sponsored Links

Old 16 Feb 09, 12:48
Private
Portugal

EliteSoldier is a balanced individual [0]
@ delta one

( face of war ,97 days with the marines company )

i bought on :
www.militaryvideo.com

that documentary is amazing jesus
really combat footage 5 stars
Old 12 Mar 09, 14:13
Gunnery Sergeant
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Lordofwar is on the path to success [1-99] Lordofwar is on the path to success [1-99] Lordofwar is on the path to success [1-99]
The PBS documentary vietnam war: A Televison history is pretty good, although it is somewhat pro-vietnam but what do you expect from PBS
Old 19 Jan 11, 14:59
Recruit
United_States

Sgt Thorburne is a balanced individual [0]
Best Doc? Good question. I've seen em all. from "In the year of the pig" to "Battlefield: Vietnam". IMO, the best doc is Vietnam: The Ten Thousand Day War.

Funny I should stumble upon this thread because I re-bought that DVD recently from vietnam10k.com . I hadn't seen it since the late 80s.

Vietnam: A television history is a distant second though.
Old 22 Jan 11, 10:34
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99]
speaking of Battelfeild Vietnam . The one about Dien Bien Phu and Khe Sanh were informative at best .
Old 22 Jan 11, 12:33
Banned
Viet_Nam

sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400] sleepyworm has a serious attitude problem [-400]
I do enjoy the documentary : "Vietnam - The 10000 days war". Itīs all about the First and Second Indochina-War" in which the US was deeply involved.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!